Author Topic: Army Choice  (Read 4628 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Army Choice
« Topic Start: January 22, 2013, 07:59:29 PM »
My Knight was asked which army he would like to be in.  This got me to thinking, do I actually have the right to choose, or is it ok for him to be assigned?  (He's just a warrior, no subclass, and has a unit)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Army Choice
« Reply #1: January 22, 2013, 08:05:43 PM »
There is no IR to choose your army.

Lords have absolute authority to assign their knights to whatever army they like, as long as they're not changing their assignment as a punishment for the knight exercising his IRs.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 22, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
...define punishment... i mean... not unreasonable (and fairly commonly done) to stick a courtier into a buro army... so to speak.
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 22, 2013, 11:16:18 PM »
You report the general for breaking the activity IR by ordering late-turn moves, so he commands your lord to pull your hero character from the elite cavalry army, and has them assigned to the backwoods buro army.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 23, 2013, 04:57:14 AM »
You report the general for breaking the activity IR by ordering late-turn moves, so he commands your lord to pull your hero character from the elite cavalry army, and has them assigned to the backwoods buro army.
Ok, but fodder's situation is fine, right?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Eirikr

« Reply #5: January 23, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »

I know it's just an example, but is the General technically breaking the IR? If he yells at people for not obeying the orders, then sure, but otherwise, if he's doing it consistently, he's just a bad choice of General. His solution sounds reasonable, though rather foolish... Assuming he has only two armies, he may be following the logic that the noble would be more useful in one rather than the other. Again, if he's doing it consistently, he's really banking on some pretty active players.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 23, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
Ordering someone to play the game at a specific RL time (I.e. "one hour before the turn") is a violation of the activity IR. You can say "move as late as you can". You can even organize armies of people who can movve late, or live in particular RL time zones. But you still can't order them to play at a specific RL time.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 23, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »

quirky thing for that case.... is that it'll be the lord who breaks IR by reassigning you (well.. and the general for incitement i guess)
firefox

Eirikr

« Reply #8: January 23, 2013, 09:02:21 PM »
Oh, I thought you just meant sending late orders, not that the orders included a designated activity time.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 23, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
@fodder: that depends. If the lord is just complying with a request from the general, and can prove it, then he's not breaking any rules.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 23, 2013, 11:03:50 PM »
um... given the lord is the sole authority on what to do with his knights.... if he complies then he goes against IR. what he should do is just report the general XD
firefox

egamma

« Reply #11: January 24, 2013, 05:39:00 AM »
um... given the lord is the sole authority on what to do with his knights.... if he complies then he goes against IR. what he should do is just report the general XD

Reassigning knights because the general asked you to isn't against any IR. It's the general who is trying to punish the knight that is the problem.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 24, 2013, 07:03:27 AM »
but... if you know the reason for it and you know it's against the ir...
firefox

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 24, 2013, 07:36:28 AM »
Reassigning knights because the general asked you to isn't against any IR. It's the general who is trying to punish the knight that is the problem.
Fodder is basically saying if the Lord knows why it has been requested he is an accomplice to the crime/violation.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 25, 2013, 12:24:32 AM »
Re-assigning someone to a backwards bureau army is not against the IR, unless it's a blatant retaliation about an IR topic. For example, it's fine to have an army for cavalry and one for MI. If both armies serve in battle according to their capacities, and it's done with good intent, it's all good. As long as the people leading the MI troops aren't put into the MI army for the specific reason of boring them out of recruiting more MI because the general hates MI, then it's not fine anymore.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron