Author Topic: What makes a good BM religion?  (Read 32773 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good BM religion?
« Reply #45: January 18, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
Should I feature request these individually or collectively?

I would say individually.

Based on your knowledge of the code, are any of these actually the kinds of things that could be implemented quickly (i.e. before/during the Doctrine conversion process)?

A couple of them aren't too hard—adding honour & prestige gain for priest actions and putting someone else in power after a Claim Region—but the rest are definitely post-Doctrine material.

Small H/P hits. Literally EXACTLY like vulgarity. A button you can click on every message a person sends (even to non-members of the religion or private messages) that will refer the message to a selection of elders and/or priests of the sender's religion. However the internal vulgarity mechanic works, duplicate it and, if the message is ruled vulgar, then, bam– they take a very slight H/P hit. Maybe even make it generate an in-religion notification, "Rumors that So-and-So has been making unorthodox and unsettling statements have begun to spread..."

OK, that sounds like it might fly.

No, I mean Cheniers complaint about claiming a region for a religion, where your probability of being arrested and put in ENEMY prison INCREASES if YOUR OWN REALM has soldiers in the region.

Sorry about terminology.

No. Five kinds of no.

The terminology is important, for exactly this reason.

What you call an "RTO" is a priest whipping up a mob of screaming peasants with pitchforks and torches to go throw the old Lord out. There is no easy way to tell it apart from any other mob of screaming peasants until after you've stopped it from rampaging. The only thing you can do is order your troops to stay out of the way of any screaming mob of peasants in the region.

Which you do by keeping them out of the region.

The feature is not intended to be a simple drop-in replacement for other kinds of takeover. Honestly, I'd really like to change it somehow to drive that home more clearly, but I'm not sure how. Whatever I did in that direction would certainly have the effect of nerfing the feature somewhat.

How would this be easy to game? To me it seems entirely reasonable and very fun RP.

Easy to just appoint anyone in the religion you want, by making them a temp-elder.

But maybe very buggy: what if you appoint an elder to a lordship who was a member of a different realm?

Oh, that's dead easy. Whoever you pick as the new Lord, that's the realm the region would join. If they belonged to the realm the region currently belonged to, it would stay there. Remember, it's not supposed to be a takeover option for your realm.

I'm not sure what on earth that means. Priests can already badmouth realms. This is just a way for a religion to do so institutionally. Heck, its game mechanic effect could even be negligible or nonexistent, and it'd STILL be valuable. Or make it so it has no effect on its own, but priestly actions that coordinate with it (badmouthing evil realms for example, or lauding faithful ones) are more effective– when your preaching is backed up by the local parish priests, you're more effective. Hardly matters to me how it works– I just think, if we want religions to engage in conflict AS RELIGIONS, then we need to give them a mechanic to do so, rather than just as individuals. Just like how wars between realms aren't just a bunch of nobles marching around set to murderous and looting.

Well, personally, I kind of like the idea. However, I believe that it was, in fact, suggested in the past (possibly only within the dev team, my memory on this point is hazy), and Tom vetoed it on the grounds that he didn't want religions having official policies on realms, or something like that. They should only have official policies on religions.

I could be misremembering entirely.

Sure, that's reasonable enough. Maybe needs a little thought relating to IRs– but I suppose a priest declared anathema could always migrate.

I assume that both members and non-members of a religion could be declared anathema; otherwise you could game it by just joining a religion that declares against you.

Yes, I see no reason to restrict who you'd be able to declare anathema. Aside from maybe elders. That would be kind of odd.

...Could sort of play into the sect/schism mechanics I've got in mind for later, though.

I can have wars in RP. It's not the same thing.

None of these tools would plausibly replace RP. It's not like, with an anathema tool, we would suddenly stop politicking against Bowie Ironsides or Allison Kabrinski. And the debates about declaring them anathema would be EPIC.

Same with declaring realms evil. It's a tool for expression and creation of RPs– not a replacement. Because, right now, these things AREN'T RP'd much, and not because no players would enjoy it– but because they're not much to be gained from it. Give us something for which we can actually fight.

No, I recognize that. I'm just saying that there are aspects of most of the features mentioned that could be dealt with entirely in RP, even if the features themselves are never added. And kind of playing devil's advocate.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan