Author Topic: What makes a good BM religion?  (Read 32608 times)

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a good BM religion?
« Reply #60: January 19, 2013, 01:51:07 AM »
They ascribed all kinds of things. People still do. Doesn't mean they were actually able to do those things.

So, again: The only powers priests in BM are going to have are powers of influence. Not "divine intervention" or anything that's likely to look like it.
Fair enough, your initial wording made me think you were saying that it was based upon what people in the middle ages expected them to be capable of -- but if this is not so, then I can understand why any sort of magic like abilities are not desired.

Quote from: Anaris
Well, personally, I kind of like the idea. However, I believe that it was, in fact, suggested in the past (possibly only within the dev team, my memory on this point is hazy), and Tom vetoed it on the grounds that he didn't want religions having official policies on realms, or something like that. They should only have official policies on religions.
Maybe the fact that historically religions did have official policies on realms might change his mind?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdict#Notable_local_canonical_interdicts
More examples could probably be found if looked for.

Quote from: Chenier
To be a pope, doesn't one need to have actually conducted a miracle? (Probably to be archbishop or something, actually).

Sounds pretty magic to me.
That would be to be canonized as a Saint (capital 'S' important here) in the RC church (specifically, they must have two posthumous miracles).