Author Topic: Low tax = more immigrants?  (Read 1335 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Low tax = more immigrants?
« Topic Start: January 16, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »
I recall seeing a dev saying a while back that tax rates do not affect population movement, but rather factor like relative populations (high moving to low) and keeping the region stable (food) and protected would provide the factors for people moving into a region.

Can someone please confirm what effect, if any, tax has on population? Because people continue to (logically, but perhaps mistakenly) believe that tax affects migration.

Or is it just a big mash of factors?

Many thanks!

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Low tax = more immigrants?
« Reply #1: January 16, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
From what I remember from the discussion, Tax Rate does not affect migration directly. What matters is Region Stats (And probably things like recent unrest/war/looting, but dont quote me on that). Lower Tax Rates however make it easier to keep those region stats up (And if very low, will even help decline those of neighbouring regions), but if you can do that anyway, tax rate doesnt matter.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 16, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »
Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar.

Do you suppose "Many people complaining" would matter at all, if one still kept the stats up, as you describe?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 16, 2013, 09:57:31 PM »
Keep morale up, keep the people fed, and keep the peace (i.e. no battles). Tax rate is indirect, in that it helps keep up morale. But for a given morale, changing tax rate has no effect.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.