Author Topic: A very random question.  (Read 5485 times)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
A very random question.
« Topic Start: January 18, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »
I don't know if it's been brought up before, nor do I know how complicated any coding for it might be, but would it be possible for region lords to be able to say 'yes' or 'no' to nobles passing through?

In example, Lord Kepler dislikes another Lord of his Realm (B), and does not want Lord B to loiter in Lord Kepler's region.Is there some way to 'encourage' Lord B to vacate, or would it be possible to put something like a regional ban on him?

More or less, i'd like to see regional lords have more say in their land and who can travel through.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: A very random question.
« Reply #1: January 18, 2013, 07:34:09 PM »
This has been discussed before, and, I believe, rejected.

I don't think the rejection was too vehement, though...it might be worth looking into again.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 18, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
It would be historically accurate, IMHO. Nobles tended to have contacts keeping tabs on other nobles, and with the idea of feuds, hatred, political machinations, etc. it only makes sense to me that any Landed Lord be able to control who can come in and out of his region.

It also would make an interesting dynamic for personal politics, that I feel is missing from the game. So far, feuds tend to either end in blood or explosive words (I'm thinking about thalmarkin in recent weeks), this would allow for another option to be pursued, with a lasting effect.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 18, 2013, 07:55:57 PM »
It would be historically accurate, IMHO. Nobles tended to have contacts keeping tabs on other nobles, and with the idea of feuds, hatred, political machinations, etc. it only makes sense to me that any Landed Lord be able to control who can come in and out of his region.

It also would make an interesting dynamic for personal politics, that I feel is missing from the game. So far, feuds tend to either end in blood or explosive words (I'm thinking about thalmarkin in recent weeks), this would allow for another option to be pursued, with a lasting effect.

The problem with it is the potential ramifications.

Say, for instance, that, on Dwilight, the Lord of Rettlewood prohibited the Lord of Rettleville from entering Rettlewood. That would lock a Lord out of (or inside!) his city.

If something like this were to be implemented, it could not actually prevent a character from traveling to a region, period. I think that absolute most you could expect is the ability to have your unit and his unit fight a little tiny battle in the region if you're there when he tries to go through, and if you win, he gets thrown in prison. Which, of course, doesn't help if your Judge is on his side ;)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 18, 2013, 08:03:01 PM »
The problem with it is the potential ramifications.

Say, for instance, that, on Dwilight, the Lord of Rettlewood prohibited the Lord of Rettleville from entering Rettlewood. That would lock a Lord out of (or inside!) his city.

If something like this were to be implemented, it could not actually prevent a character from traveling to a region, period. I think that absolute most you could expect is the ability to have your unit and his unit fight a little tiny battle in the region if you're there when he tries to go through, and if you win, he gets thrown in prison. Which, of course, doesn't help if your Judge is on his side ;)

I forgot about those stupid donut regions. Damn!

What about border guards taking a fee for travel on particular nobles? That would be less destructive for the Landowner. After all, Lords and Dukes were well known for coming up with crazy local laws, let alone taxes.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 18, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »

This would be awesome.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 18, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »
Couldn't all this be done through RP with a willing Judge? Might not be able to get your men to fight, but I can imagine issuing a duel challenge every time a guy stepped foot on his land.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 18, 2013, 08:29:46 PM »
Couldn't all this be done through RP with a willing Judge? Might not be able to get your men to fight, but I can imagine issuing a duel challenge every time a guy stepped foot on his land.

But that makes all landowner issues reliant on the judge, and that is not what I'm going for. The Council has ample power and available options, Lords don't have any real control over their regions beyond peasant taxes and economic buildings.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 19, 2013, 12:51:51 AM »
But that makes all landowner issues reliant on the judge, and that is not what I'm going for. The Council has ample power and available options, Lords don't have any real control over their regions beyond peasant taxes and economic buildings.
Anyways, if one side starts a battle, the other side fights or dies while if one side issues a challenge to duel, the guy who gets challenged turns it down and goes threw the region.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 19, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »

Having two noble-lead units fight with each other would be intra-realm warfare. I like the idea, but it has been rejected before.

If this is region based, maybe it would make more sense to base it on militia. Make the militia set to murderous when they see a particular noble or something. It should always be possible to go through a militia-less region.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 19, 2013, 10:31:19 AM »
Having two noble-lead units fight with each other would be intra-realm warfare. I like the idea, but it has been rejected before.

If this is region based, maybe it would make more sense to base it on militia. Make the militia set to murderous when they see a particular noble or something. It should always be possible to go through a militia-less region.

Honestly, increase a travel tax for that noble. I also think it would be good for nobles on borders to be able to establish their travel taxes for neighbouring, non-war status, kingdoms. People travelling to and from kingdoms.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 19, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »

Intra-realm warfare has been rejected because they always suggest duchy warfare which takes away from feeling like a team but one noble fighting another noble is basically a duel but with your unit so it isn't the same type of intra-realm warfare that has always been rejected.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 19, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
Honestly, increase a travel tax for that noble. I also think it would be good for nobles on borders to be able to establish their travel taxes for neighbouring, non-war status, kingdoms. People travelling to and from kingdoms.

When you travel with 45 knights in plate mail behind you, you don't pay taxes to the peasant manning the bridge with his scary pitchfork. If you want to take in a tax like this, you need to have militia standing around.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 19, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
I really like this proposal. However, I'd like to suggest a few things and expand upon what others have brought up.

1. Allow a lord to place a "travel tax" upon any noble entering his region. This tax will be listed upon the option to travel into the region on that noble's travel page. That noble will then have the option to enter the region and pay the tax, or to enter the region and not pay the tax.

2. If a "taxed" noble enters the region without paying the tax, he initiates combat against any militia in the region. The lord of the region will join the combat with his troops should he be present.

3. A tax cannot be enforced if there are no militia in the region. Even if a lord is present in the region, he will not automatically engage in combat to defend a tax. (A lord's troops would never be used for tax collection. However, a lord's troops would join in combat should the militia be fighting)

4. It is not possible for a lord to tax his knights entering the region. (They are member of the region and would be known there as members of the region. No militia would attack them, and no peasant would dare make that suggestion)

5. It is not possible for a lord to tax his liege or his liege's liege from entering the region. (The militia, and the peasants would recognize the Duke/Ruler as a higher authority. Such a tax could also never be implemented in a region in any feasible situation.)

------------

Possible exploits to be addressed:

1. Interactions with rebellions? At least this issue needs to be thought about. It may turn out this is a favorable reason for this addition, but I'm not so sure.

2. Should it be possible to bar any noble of your own realm from entering the capital? (Partially related to #1)

3. What are the limits to the tax? (25 gold? 100 gold? 1k gold? no limit?) (Another related way to say it: Should it be possible to force a combat or should the tax always be inherently low enough to allow passage if it is wanted.)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 19, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
I thoroughly dislike almost all of these ideas. A 25 gold tax for a noble of your own realm passing through the region? Or even a foreign noble? That's ludicrous.

I can't imagine any of this stuff would even be considered, let alone implemented.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.