Author Topic: It just seems odd to me... (Takeovers)  (Read 9076 times)

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It just seems odd to me... (Takeovers)
« Topic Start: January 19, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
Region A is in your realm for literally years always at 100%.  Region is taken over, a couple days later you start taking it back and the population hates your realm when they've only been out of it for less than a week.

Anyways, just seems odd to me.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: It just seems odd to me... (Takeovers)
« Reply #1: January 19, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
Region A is in your realm for literally years always at 100%.  Region is taken over, a couple days later you start taking it back and the population hates your realm when they've only been out of it for less than a week.

Anyways, just seems odd to me.
Nobility overestimate peasant loyalty.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 19, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
What's the situation around it? Diplomats, Ambassadors involved? Did the enemy Realm loot heavily before and during the TO? All those things can significantly lower loyalty to your Realm due your lack of protection. You're the one that forced that suffering on them in the first place!

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #3: January 19, 2013, 11:53:10 PM »
Honestly, I'd love some sort of "culture" system added in ala CK2.  Not sure how it'd really fit into the game though.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 20, 2013, 12:04:57 AM »
Can you elaborate for those that haven't played that?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #5: January 20, 2013, 12:35:05 AM »
There are cultures and subcultures in the game.  Essentially say...  The Greeks, with Byzantine subculture.  For those under the same culture, it's easier to control the population because they aren't viewed as alien foreigners. 

So let's say on EC there's the Perdanese culture group with Aixian, Ubenteese, and Westmoorian subcultures.  Say Sirion invaded and annexed some Westmoorian lands and they have their own culture.  Their control over the regions would be much more difficult until they managed to turn the population (something that'd take either time or boosted by various actions).  Yet if Perdan took Troyes from Westmoor, the peasants would be far quicker to accept them, as they're the same culture group.

Now, the subcultures might be too hard for BM to implement but it would be a very fun addition to the game. 

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 20, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »
Having played CK2 a lot, while I love the culture mechanic (spreading culture is vital towards maintaining a large empire) I don't see it as very feasible in Battlemaster. It would just be an additional headache to deal with and make things needlessly complicated. CK2 is a game made to be needlessly complicated. BM is supposed to be relatively simple.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: January 20, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »
That's the thing, we could attempt to simplify it. 

Though you have to admit, it'd be kind of awesome to have our families adopt cultures and spread them to other continents.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 20, 2013, 02:15:28 AM »
There is a government style mechanic already in place. That's the source of the dreaded "the peasants don't integrate well".

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 20, 2013, 02:20:29 AM »
Draco, It would be cool, I just don't think it fits BM's style, and there are much more important things for the game to have added, at least imo.

Indirik, and all others, I think that I can safely say that Crusader Kings II is probably the mainstream game which is most similar to Battlemaster's game concept or evolution of what BM provides in some manner. At least for the politics portion/family/and that sort of thing. Granted its primarily a 1p game, but So many of its concepts are done well in that respect.

But, as I said, CK2 is needlessly complicated. Its for a very detailed strategy gamer to play.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 20, 2013, 02:29:51 AM »
Crusader Kings is on the simplistic side, actually. On the scale of complexity, CK ranks dead last when compared to Paradox's other in-house titles. Here is how I would rank them, on that scale: Victoria > Hearts of Iron > Europa Universalis > Crusader Kings.

As for as translating the culture feature into Battlemaster correctly, that is impossible. Crusader Kings justifies it's culture mechanic as a means of achieving a level of realism. It succeeds at doing so, by basing the cultures on existent historical cultures. Battlemaster does not attempt realism; it takes place entirely in a fantasy setting. Therefore an attempt at realism, such as the culture mechanic, is useless.

Furthermore, cultures in Battlemaster already exist, through the form of roleplay. Aurvandil has something called "Aurvandeux" culture (forgive me if I spelled that incorrectly); Sirion has an elf culture, although it's never explicitly mentioned; and of course there are some other cultures that are often referenced, indirectly or otherwise. So an 'official' culture system would be stepping on the toes of the roleplayed culture system already in effect.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 20, 2013, 02:35:59 AM »
Crusader Kings is on the simplistic side, actually. On the scale of complexity, CK ranks dead last when compared to Paradox's other in-house titles. Here is how I would rank them, on that scale: Victoria > Hearts of Iron > Europa Universalis > Crusader Kings.

True, but not really related. CK2 is much more complex than BM. That's really all that mattered in my statements.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #12: January 20, 2013, 03:03:23 AM »
Furthermore, cultures in Battlemaster already exist, through the form of roleplay. Aurvandil has something called "Aurvandeux" culture (forgive me if I spelled that incorrectly); Sirion has an elf culture, although it's never explicitly mentioned; and of course there are some other cultures that are often referenced, indirectly or otherwise. So an 'official' culture system would be stepping on the toes of the roleplayed culture system already in effect.
You are implying that if such a system wasn't made that it wouldn't take such things into account.  I have a feeling they would certainly try to do just that simply because such RP is exactly what would fit in with the mindset of the culture system.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 20, 2013, 07:09:36 AM »
For every geographic region, a culture is assigned. Could be whatever. For realms that lie in multiple geographic zones, the majority or the culture of the capital region becomes the one the game considers. Whenever a realm tries to take a region out of the culture group, it will face integration problems, plus some sort of modifier to increase unrest, and possibility of revolting to a realm in its culture group. This would also empower smaller realms, and create reasons for tension, by giving realms valid casus belli. IMO, it should be permanent and unchanging, regardless of player actions. Forget about the subculture part, which through extremely interesting, would likely make it very complicated to code.

Victoria's also the best  ;D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 20, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
You want the culture okf a region to be permanent and unchanging? I.e. take the current relams as they stand, and say "these are the natural borders of realms, and trying to do any different will be increasingly difficult"?

Also, not only would this make it more difficult for large realms to take regions from small realms, it would also make it nearly impossible for small realms to take things from bigger realms.