Author Topic: Religion Feature Request: Honor and Prestige for Priests  (Read 2358 times)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Title: Honor and Prestige for Priests

Summary:
When a priest expands a temple, builds a shrine, carries out an auto da fe, or converts a large number of people, he/she would have a chance of gaining H/P.

Details:
Priestly actions likely to gain repute for the priest and which constitute expressions of power, authority, or accomplishment should increase that priest's prestige for sure, maybe honor too, but maybe not. At minimum, very successful conversion, and temple and shrine dedication, should yield H/P bonuses. I think more aggressive acts, like persecution, religious claims, and auto da fes, should as well. I will not offer a specific notion of how much H/P– obviously the priest class shouldn't equal out with warriors and such, but being better than infiltrators would be nice.

Benefits:
Many powerful priests are a few vulgarity complaints or high-profile abdications away from not meeting the threshold for various positions. That doesn't make sense. The H/P lack in the priest game misses the obvious fact of priests often being quite prestigious in Medieval communities, and also smacks of game imbalance which should be rectified.

Possible Exploits:
I honestly can't think of any, provided that H/P is conditioned in successfulness, not mere attempts, and provided that H/P gains are not too large or imbalanced.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I fully agree with this, and think it would fix a glaring hole in the priest game mechanic.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
I think something along these line's would indeed be a good step along the path of finding more ways to improve the lot of priest chars, as likewise the religious aspect to BM par-say.

1+
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"

House Talratheon

• Knight
    • View Profile

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
In light of recent discussions of ways to improve religion, I'm gonna cast a spell of necromancy on what I still think is a good idea.

And my other religion proposals too.

Because these never really got a clear response from the Devs.

This one should be a no-brainer.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner