Author Topic: Allow multiple Titles at same rank within a religion  (Read 4646 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Title: Allow multiple Titles at same rank within a religion.

Summary:
Allow multiple Titles at same rank within a religion.

Details:
Presently, if more than one noble is at the same rank within a religion, they must also have the same title. It would be great if nobles could have the same rank but different titles. The way Aetheris Pyrism is evolving, this would be a great feature.

Benefits:
Allow more flexible religious structures and cool role play

Possible Exploits:
I cant think of any. It is just a name and Shakespeare covered the value of names already...

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I like it. It could be something like when they are promoted it also asks which specific title they would like to give them. It's useful for religions and guilds with members of same rank but not same job and is primarily an issue for elders ranks, IMO. An example of this is in SA with luminaries, they are all luminaries but they each have their own star. Another example is with Dwilight University there are several deans but each with their own subject.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
There have been discussions of plans to replace the fixed rank structure with a completely freeform system that would essentially remove the rank numbers, insert ranks anywhere, and allow parallel structures, too. Won't happen until well after the conversion is done.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Over my dead body.

The title belongs to the rank, it doesn't belong to the person. If you want "equal" titles for different branches or something, simply put them on different ranks and define your own progression.

The rank/title mechanics will NOT be changed. Period.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
There have been discussions of plans to replace the fixed rank structure with a completely freeform system that would essentially remove the rank numbers, insert ranks anywhere, and allow parallel structures, too. Won't happen until well after the conversion is done.

No, parallel structures were never discussed. What we discussed was just replacing the fixed rank number system with a more flexible system that does not tie the elder/member/apprentic groups to specific numbers.

Gustav Kuriga

Tom, I really hope you're not being arbitrarily stubborn over this rather than thinking logically. I honestly can't think of anything about this that warrants such a response.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
he didn't want trees. just a straight line. asked about it a few years back.
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Tom, I really hope you're not being arbitrarily stubborn over this rather than thinking logically. I honestly can't think of anything about this that warrants such a response.

I am sometimes very straight in my responses to make sure nobody misinterprets them as a "no, but..." when it is a clear "no, period".

The ranking system of guilds and religions is intentionally simple, straightforward and linear. It will not be changed. Anything more complicated you want can be done in this system with a little bit of creativity and willingness to compromise. So on paper rank A and rank B might be 1 rank apart, but if you make them equal in everything else, it doesn't matter.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I am sometimes very straight in my responses to make sure nobody misinterprets them as a "no, but..." when it is a clear "no, period".

The ranking system of guilds and religions is intentionally simple, straightforward and linear. It will not be changed. Anything more complicated you want can be done in this system with a little bit of creativity and willingness to compromise. So on paper rank A and rank B might be 1 rank apart, but if you make them equal in everything else, it doesn't matter.
So in other words, different title having same rank is all good in your book except that you have to role play it because you don't want to implement it.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It's absolutely no problem to do so. Several Religions already have the same rank with different titles thing. While it's a nice suggestion, if that messes with the rank system too much, it's not like you lose anything. No point hammering it.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
So in other words, different title having same rank is all good in your book except that you have to role play it because you don't want to implement it.

You seem to think that titles and ranks are two different things. They are not. A title belongs to a rank, you can not seperate them. They are the same, or rather, one is the name of the other.

The guild system does intentionally not specify what exactly a rank is or means, except for the very broad seperation into elder/member/apprentice ranks and the rule that you can not edit ranks above your own.

Aside from this, nothing says that influence, power or whatever are tied to ranks in any form or in which form.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
You seem to think that titles and ranks are two different things. They are not. A title belongs to a rank, you can not seperate them. They are the same, or rather, one is the name of the other.

The guild system does intentionally not specify what exactly a rank is or means, except for the very broad seperation into elder/member/apprentice ranks and the rule that you can not edit ranks above your own.

Aside from this, nothing says that influence, power or whatever are tied to ranks in any form or in which form.
Maybe think of it like its a realm instead for a moment. Currently you have lords but with no specified domain or they have a domain but are listed as being higher ranked than another lord but in reality everyone knows they are not. This also works for dukes. You act like we are trying to make a judge, a lord, and marshal all the same rank when really we just want to say that all these lords have their own domain or more fitting as they are being grouped, all these lords are grouped up into different duchies. As you seem to think we are trying to have a bunch of different titles be the same rank, what if you explicitly made it where the several title system had it where it was either the standard title or the standard title with of xyz added on?
― G.K. Chesterton

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Maybe think of it like its a realm instead for a moment.

Uh, why should I? Think of this apple as an orange for a moment... doesn't make sense.

Guilds and religions are not like realms, and it is highly intentional that the ranking systems work differently.

I will repeat myself exactly this once: The system will not be changed.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Uh, why should I?
Because the analogy works. Lord is to keplerville as luminary is to austere. It's the same title with different domains.
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
If you wish to continue to discuss this topic, please make an appropriate thread in the Development forums. The original feature request has been rejected.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.