Author Topic: Losing Honour/Prestige  (Read 6919 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Losing Honour/Prestige
« Topic Start: April 08, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »
Throughout Battlemaster there are various actions that can cost your character honour/prestige. I am interested in finding out a bit more about these, as perhaps some others are.

The first thing that I am curious about is:

At what point (how much) in your family's gold amount do you stop losing honour or prestige for requesting funding?

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Losing Honour/Prestige
« Reply #1: April 08, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »
On Garret I had at one point requested gold to the point where they stopped sending it. At 2P, he stopped losing it from gold requests.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: April 08, 2011, 05:41:31 PM »
Really? I expected if you have low prestige you won't be able to ask for gold. Back in the days when you could still do paid work to earn some gold, they wouldn't let my char work once his H/P got very low.

Other activities which can cause a char to lose H/P are - torture, taking gold away, infiltration works (if you are caught I believe), losing your region, using unfit words. Is there anything else?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: April 08, 2011, 06:01:32 PM »
Let's separate between honour and prestige, because some only affect one and not the other, and some affect both.

Both H and P

Stepping down from any position (duke/lord, marshal, council)
Torture
Execution (Even failed ones)
Getting banned

Prestige only (I think, at least)

Unit/paraphernalia deserts
Abandon unit with wounded men (or set them as militia)
Asking family for gold

Honour only

Caught infiltrating
Spotted infiltrating
Etiquette Issue
Leaving tournament early

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 08, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »
A council member being protested by enough nobles will lose prestige, even if there are not enough protests to kick them out.

Stepping down from lordship while you're region is being TOd will cost more than normal, I believe.

Emigration will cost you honor/prestige.

Judge stealing a prisoner's gold will lose honor. (Not sure about prestige.)

Judge stealing a prisoner's unique item will lose H and P.

I *think* that if a noble tries to arrest/beat up an advy, and the advy escapes, the noble will lose H or P. Not sure about that one...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: April 08, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Someone want to start a wiki page for this? It might be useful material, and it would help to accumulate the findings we make, so interested readers wouldn't have to dig through this thread, if it ever gets long enough.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: April 08, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »
what! you can lose H/P for arresting advys?! I should be careful from now on. Since I always throw advys in enemy regions :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 08, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
what! you can lose H/P for arresting advys?! I should be careful from now on. Since I always throw advys in enemy regions :)

I'm not positive about it. I seem to remember someone saying that they lost H or P when they failed when trying to arrest an advy.

If you do it a lot, have you ever failed in the attempt?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: April 08, 2011, 10:07:07 PM »
I remember it. Funny how some things I just overlooked, like the emigration one. It is so obvious, and yet I never bothered to include that.

Yeah, this was back in 2009 I think, when I failed at capturing an adventurer. I think the text went something like "You lose prestige among your peers as rumors spread about your failure" or something. It was pretty much a "You suck, people laugh at you" deal.

Might I note though, that my memory gets fuzzy after a few months. After all, I had always thought that estates were set up as size 3,5,7 instead of 5,7,8. Delvin claimed that it was always 5,7,8, so meh, I don't suppose I can explain how I got the 3,5,7 idea.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:09:25 PM by Artemesia »

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 08, 2011, 10:52:43 PM »
On Garret I had at one point requested gold to the point where they stopped sending it. At 2P, he stopped losing it from gold requests.

What I was specifically wondering about was if there is an upper amount of gold that your family possesses, and if you exceeded it you would not lose prestige for asking for some.

From the request page:
Doing so may reduce your prestige a little, especially if your family is not very wealthy

For example, if you have 10k family gold, will you lose prestige for asking for some? 9k, 8k, 7k, etc up to what point?

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 08, 2011, 11:17:36 PM »
I have been hovering around 5k family gold and don't remember losing any honour/prestige when requesting it, although I only do it when really needed.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: April 08, 2011, 11:21:04 PM »
It also matters how frequently you ask on the character. It might also matter how much/often you send the family gold on that character.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 09, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
Rulers who exile a noble will lose honor and prestige on a regular basis until either the exiled noble leaves the realm, or the ruler steps down.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13: April 09, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »
What I was specifically wondering about was if there is an upper amount of gold that your family possesses, and if you exceeded it you would not lose prestige for asking for some.

From the request page:
Doing so may reduce your prestige a little, especially if your family is not very wealthy

For example, if you have 10k family gold, will you lose prestige for asking for some? 9k, 8k, 7k, etc up to what point?
I believe the investment limit (>2000 gold) makes your family wealthy enough for you to ask for some gold without losing h/p.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: April 09, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
You might still lose some if you ask frequently, possibly without giving back. It's one of the harder things to test due to the conditions. You'd have to control for family gold variation, frequency asked, original H/P, frequency of gold sent to family, amount per issue to family, cumulative amount issued, etc. If anyone has the family gold and attentiveness to do this that'd be great.