Author Topic: Seceding: Dukes vs Margraves  (Read 5605 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Seceding: Dukes vs Margraves
« Topic Start: January 20, 2013, 02:34:53 AM »
So, under the new estate system, who is able to secede?

Can only Dukes secede from a realm to create a new one? (Assuming they have a city or stronghold within their duchy?)

Or can Margraves of Cities/Strongholds secede to create a new realm as well.

Some other restrictions perhaps?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Seceding: Dukes vs Margraves
« Reply #1: January 20, 2013, 03:00:40 AM »
Secession has been the power of the duke. This has not changed.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 20, 2013, 03:08:06 AM »
Secession has been the power of the duke. This has not changed.

Okay. What exactly are the restrictions currently placed upon Dukes seceding though.

I've seen a lot of discussion in the Magistrate cases in the past about them, and I don't know what game mechanically isn't supposed to be possible. If I'm Duke of more than one city, and one of the cities includes the capital of the realm, am I able to secede? (As long as there is another city or Stronghold in the realm?)

I just don't know whether me seeing a button available means I'm allowed to press it from what I've read.

P.S. If this should be moved to the Courthouse Q/A let me know.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 20, 2013, 03:29:55 AM »
Secession is different than switching allegiance. Secession is controled via code. Switching allegiance should be controled via code, but I'm not sure if that was fixed. (I would have to check the bugtracker.)

I don't know of any new restrictions on secessions. Tim programmed it, I think. He would probably know the answer to the multiple city question.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: January 20, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »
Duchies containing the capital of the realm cannot secede. They can, however, switch allegiances. To even begin considering either of these two options there must be another duchy containing a city.

This is the current behaviour.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:14:35 PM by Foundation »
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 20, 2013, 05:07:49 PM »
Foundation is correct.

Here is the complete and comprehensive list of restrictions on secession:

• You must be Duke.
  • Your Duchy must contain at least one city.
  • Your Duchy cannot contain all the cities in the realm.
  • Your Duchy cannot contain the realm's capital.
  • You must be in the city (within your Duchy) that you wish to become the new capital of your realm.
  • This city must not have high independence/low control.
  • You must have been in both your duchy and realm for at least 2 weeks.
  • You must have at least 6 hours available.
  • You cannot already be the ruler of your realm.
  • You cannot be in an NPC realm (pretty much moot nowadays, save for bugs).
  • You cannot have a family member who is already a ruler on the continent.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 20, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »
Foundation is correct.

Here is the complete and comprehensive list of restrictions on secession:

• You must be Duke.
  • Your Duchy must contain at least one city.
  • Your Duchy cannot contain all the cities in the realm.
  • Your Duchy cannot contain the realm's capital.
  • You must be in the city (within your Duchy) that you wish to become the new capital of your realm.
  • This city must not have high independence/low control.
  • You must have been in both your duchy and realm for at least 2 weeks.
  • You must have at least 6 hours available.
  • You cannot already be the ruler of your realm.
  • You cannot be in an NPC realm (pretty much moot nowadays, save for bugs).
  • You cannot have a family member who is already a ruler on the continent.

Okay, is there a reason that one can change allegiance while they have the capital of the realm within their duchy, but they can't secede? This seems to be an outdated holdover from the old-estate system. The new estate system mainly the Duke/Margrave separation mechanic seems to make this point somewhat antiquated.

It makes sense to me that a Duke can't secede if his ONLY city is the capital of the realm. However, if he chooses to secede and create a new realm while having more than one city, and he makes the capital of the new realm a different capital than the old one you have a completely different set of circumstances than ever seen before.

I guess I'm confused what is trying to be restricted here. Every single other restriction I can think of a reason for it to be in place, but this one baffles me. What is different about a Duke seceding a three city duchy(in a 4 city or more realm) and a duke transferring the allegiance of his three city duchy to another realm, (perhaps a one city realm).

P.S. Thank you everyone for the responses so far. Very helpful.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 20, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
Okay, is there a reason that one can change allegiance while they have the capital of the realm within their duchy, but they can't secede? This seems to be an outdated holdover from the old-estate system. The new estate system mainly the Duke/Margrave separation mechanic seems to make this point somewhat antiquated.

Because you already control the capital of the realm. In a sense, you already control the realm.

Think of it this way: the Duke of Edimburgh can secede Scotland. The Duke of Cardiff can secede Wales. But the Duke of London can't secede England, that's already the main part of the realm. He can seize power in all of England through a rebellion, and then Scotland and Wales can secede if they don't like it.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 20, 2013, 07:17:33 PM »
Because you already control the capital of the realm. In a sense, you already control the realm.

Think of it this way: the Duke of Edimburgh can secede Scotland. The Duke of Cardiff can secede Wales. But the Duke of London can't secede England, that's already the main part of the realm. He can seize power in all of England through a rebellion, and then Scotland and Wales can secede if they don't like it.
Dukes should be able to give a region to another duchy then.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 20, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »
.... the changing allegiance of duchy with capital thing... thought that was a bug?
firefox

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 20, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
.... the changing allegiance of duchy with capital thing... thought that was a bug?
No it is intended.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 20, 2013, 07:25:51 PM »
Dukes should be able to give a region to another duchy then.

Lords can switch duchies as they please. Order your Lord to do so.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 20, 2013, 07:28:14 PM »
Lords can switch duchies as they please. Order your Lord to do so.
Because the Lord might not want to and it's your duchy so you should be able to kick someone out if you want to.
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 20, 2013, 07:37:24 PM »
It makes sense to me that a Duke can't secede if his ONLY city is the capital of the realm. However, if he chooses to secede and create a new realm while having more than one city, and he makes the capital of the new realm a different capital than the old one you have a completely different set of circumstances than ever seen before.

That's actually a reasonable argument, that probably deserves a separate discussion.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 21, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »
That's actually a reasonable argument, that probably deserves a separate discussion.

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3734.0.html

I've made a feature request regarding this particular issue.