Author Topic: New Common class, paraphernalia, solo things and other  (Read 3318 times)

Alasteir

• Knight
  • March!
    • View Profile
Hello BM mongers, how are you?

I'm thinking in some things that could improve the game some days ago, and I want to share it with you and, perhaps, they can put it on play:

1 - New Paraphernalia: Treasure chart.

How much of you just lost an unique item, letting it go down to 0% of durability? Thinking of this, I noticed that there is no thing that can help us to, at last, minimize the damage our items take from the travels and battles, until now.

I thought about a new paraphernalia, a chart created only to transport relics. Historically this type of transport was very common to the people that had wealth enough to support it. The noble would have to buy it and pay for its maintance, plus, for the artisans that go with the chart, to mantain the durability of the item. This paraphernalia would minimize the damage an unique item taken by travel only (since in battle, the noble use it), lowering the change of a permanent lost of good items.

2 - Infraestructure things.

a) Other thing I thought concerns about lords. In medieval times, one of the duties of a lord was the infraestructure of its lands, creating mills, barns, walls, etc, and in BM we just don't have this. I know that, as the name says, the game is totally devoted to fight and war, but this little stuff can improve the fun. What about allow a noble to build a mansion (or a castle, in strongholds and cities) were he will live, with a small chapel (for its religion, as the peasants concerns about the religion of the lord), an stable (that would allow a minimization of the time of travel by allied lands, as someone can hire horses from it), etc. We should remember that, from time to time the nobles needed to left the battlefield to take care of his own business, and a good place to be and to rise is a thing that could be improved. Perhaps the mansion would allow the noble to left his unique items there, to be repaired by adventurers. Realms that allow magic can allow the nobles to hire a magician, hahahah!

b) Allow nobles to buy things for its estates.

Just as up, but for the knights. Perhaps the lord would allow his knights to have their own houses with things like chapel, or to have their own rooms in the lords mansion.

c) Hired militia from the recruitment centers.

This is one thing that I always wonder why BM already doesn't have. Why a noble can't hire militia for his land from his own recruitment centers? I know that this will raise the dificulty of attacks, but isn't it the natural thing to do? I know too that all recrutimente centers should send their men to the capital, but a noble would hangle some of them just to stay in his land, patrolling the streets, etc. This is an implement that must be placed, as we have a proliferation of infiltrators in BM, and will engage entrelly with my next sugestion,

3 - New common class: thief.

Those who have played BM more than a year will agree with me that at the first glance, the adventurer is the funniest class in the game. He goes and kill monsters and zombies, find things, craft things with the sage, repair items, and always try to desperate rise for nobility, but as you go, playing and playing, you find that it is boring, and that if you don't try to complete the objective of being noble, you will just be tired of hack'n slash. For those who thinks like me, I thought about a new common class, something that surely existed in the middle ages and exists until now, a thief. Someone to try and do robbery, assault tax collectors and nobles, steal unique and common items, etc. You should agree that this is more to common people than to nobles, with some exceptions.

Well, I believe its all. I hope I could just help a little this awesome game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Hello BM mongers, how are you?

I'm thinking in some things that could improve the game some days ago, and I want to share it with you and, perhaps, they can put it on play:

1 - New Paraphernalia: Treasure chart.

How much of you just lost an unique item, letting it go down to 0% of durability? Thinking of this, I noticed that there is no thing that can help us to, at last, minimize the damage our items take from the travels and battles, until now.

It is intended for unique items to decay in this way.  You aren't supposed to be able to maintain them indefinitely.

Even so, some items have been kept up for a very long time.  There are items still in use on Beluaterra that date back to the time of the Third Invasion, four RL years ago.

2 - Infraestructure things. <details snipped>

All three of these are, in one form or another, under consideration or in planning for near-future implementation.

3 - New common class: thief.

Tom has repeatedly stated that the adventurer class is not meant to be anything more than a sidelight.  Furthermore, he has repeatedly rejected any request for being able to steal from nobles.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

I don't know. Adding thief class sounds bad lol sorry. I feel like if we add that class this will turn something more like D&D.

songqu88@gmail.com

I faintly remember once reading something on the Dlist, maybe, about adventurers having different classes. And someone said something like, "A commoner can call himself whatever he wants." Well, there are differences between smiths and farmers, but no one can actually play those types of characters. Adventurers are, well, adventurers. They go out hunting stuff, scavenging, making a living off what they can get on the great journey of life.

So the options are already limited as they are by the archetype of adventurer. It's also not helped much that the only relevant skills are swordfighting and adventuring. The adventuring aspect can be imagined many different ways, and it is then up to one's own imagination to fill in the various gear and the different places the adventurer encounters.

As for swordfighting, that might be due to the expenses of having a bow and arrow with which to fight on a regular basis. There's no way to make arrows right now, and that might be a bit strange to code for combat. What would determine how many arrows you used? There is no doubt in my mind that at least one player out there thinks all his characters are super-strong epic grandmasters or have some equally stupid idea, who would find the idea of his adventurer using even one arrow to slay the ultimate dragon of legendary evil insulting. Unfortunately, for some people it seems that no matter what the game says, they seek to assert their own interpretations no matter what.

But back on the subject of adventurers. Right now, an adventurer is supposed to roam around hunting monsters and undead, and scavenging for stuff. They can meet sages and wizards along their journeys, gaining items and scrolls if they have the right items in exchange. At this time, there is nothing coded to my knowledge regarding other skills, such as farming, any type of manufacturing, fishing, or any other type of work that you might find on a Facebook game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
I faintly remember once reading something on the Dlist, maybe, about adventurers having different classes. And someone said something like, "A commoner can call himself whatever he wants." Well, there are differences between smiths and farmers, but no one can actually play those types of characters.

Oh, I can give you a farmer character in two hours of coding, tops.

You would have two options on your "actions" page:
  • take care of the fields
  • take care of the livestock
Both would take half your day.

I don't think it makes for very interesting gameplay, though.

songqu88@gmail.com

Oh, I can give you a farmer character in two hours of coding, tops.

You would have two options on your "actions" page:
  • take care of the fields
  • take care of the livestock
Both would take half your day.

I don't think it makes for very interesting gameplay, though.

I think I'll stick to Harvest Moon, thank you.

Now that I think about it, I think you were the one who rejected any further additions to the adventurer class in terms of "classes", Tom. It's no big deal for me, since I hardly play adventurer anyway.