Author Topic: Europa Universalis III: Chronicles  (Read 8469 times)

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
« Topic Start: January 22, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
I have a key for EU3 Chronicles.   I'll be happy to give it to a deserving person who's interested.  PM me or post.   (serious interest, please.  I don't wanna give it to someone who'll just 'demo' it then never touch it)
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
« Reply #1: January 22, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »
Amazing game. Recommend to all.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 23, 2013, 02:06:28 AM »
I play CK2, how similar are they?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 23, 2013, 03:09:00 AM »
If you like CK2, there's a good chance you'll dig EU3.  They're certainly cousins.   Here's a trailer for EU3 complete.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBelZqBdyk
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 23, 2013, 03:28:25 AM »
If you like CK2, there's a good chance you'll dig EU3.  They're certainly cousins.   Here's a trailer for EU3 complete.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLBelZqBdyk

I love CK2. Somewhere I saw something on the CK2 forums about being able to transfer game saves to the beginning of EU3 but I may be wrong. Actually working on making my own CK2 mod right now.

Anyway the game looks cool and I'd certainly be interested but really have nothing to offer in return. I have logged over a hundred hours on CK2 at this point, maybe 150. Never played any other paradox games though.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 23, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
They have long been working on being able to convert CK2 savesgames to EUIII (And then on to another game) for a mega campaign, but it's a fanmade one and I don't think it's complete. If you nose around the forums though you should be able to find how far it's progressed though, I haven't really kept track on it.

I played EU3 in the past, and really enjoyed it, but I don't have the game any more. I remember getting beaten badly by it too (Mostly in the tech) except for one game in Spain where I went on to colonize a lot of the New Land. If you can't find anyone else, I'll certainly be interested in it to get back into it again, because it's a good game, but I never really picked it up again afterwards. Nonetheless, if you like CK2, I can recommend EU3 as well.

Now that this topic is up anyway, I still have a free copy of Portal 1 on Steam as well, if anyone is interested. I got it with Portal 2 but none of my friends wanted it (Most of them already had it).

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 23, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »
I play CK2, how similar are they?

Similar in spirit and that they come from the same people, however the core gameplay is different (though armies and fighting is basically the same except that its adds naval battles). However, while CK2's focus is playing a specific character and all of the politics involved on that level, in EU3 its more of the traditional "I'm playing a country" strategy game mindset.

The scope is a lot of fun though and the huge time period gives way to a LOT of re-playability and different things to do. Colonize, focus on a trade empire, be a continental military power in Europe, etc. etc.

Although, I have to say that I recently acquired Victoria 2 and a have had a ton of fun with it. It's pretty amazing and so the way the time period is captured is very impressive.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 23, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »
Although, I have to say that I recently acquired Victoria 2 and a have had a ton of fun with it. It's pretty amazing and so the way the time period is captured is very impressive.

You should try it with the Pop demand mod, and maybe get the expansion. It takes the game to a whole new level.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 23, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »

I've had lots of fun with CK2, it is my favorite of the paradox games. I recently bought Victoria 2, but I feel like I need an instructor to play it. I imagine it would be great, if I knew what I was doing.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 24, 2013, 12:55:23 AM »
You should try it with the Pop demand mod, and maybe get the expansion. It takes the game to a whole new level.

I do have A House Divided with it. Don't have the Pop Demand Mod though I've heard its great (also New Nations mod) but I've never played any mods before and have never looked into how to do them. Also, I play on a Mac so I always assume it either won't be compatible or will be a pain in the ass.

I've had lots of fun with CK2, it is my favorite of the paradox games. I recently bought Victoria 2, but I feel like I need an instructor to play it. I imagine it would be great, if I knew what I was doing.

If you think it's bad with Vicky2, you should try Hearts of Iron 3...  :P

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 24, 2013, 02:58:56 AM »
If you think it's bad with Vicky2, you should try Hearts of Iron 3...  :P

My favorite game ;)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 24, 2013, 03:18:50 AM »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 25, 2013, 01:13:35 AM »
I've been going too hard on the CORE 0.60 mod for Arsenal of Democracy. Originally got pulled into this genre by Lorgan, who introduced me to Hearts of Iron (I) I think. Spread out to play Hearts of Iron I, II, Doomsday, Armageddon and III although I don't like the third version. Too slow on "extremely fast" and rather heavy on the pc. Europe Universalis 3 (and divine wind) is a recurring game which me and Lorgan often play in LAN. Yes, once, we managed to play the ENTIRE campaign together. Crazy stuff. Oh and there's vicky, yes. I thought there was a new one coming out along with EU4? Not sure.

By the way, did anyone ever try Pride of Nations? Speaking of a heavy game... dayum. Takes up to 10 minutes to process a tick in PoN.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 26, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »
My favorite game ;)

I like it a lot, too. But the learning curve took me a while, for sure.

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 28, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »
I somehow stumbled on the first HOI many years ago, and was addicted.  I took a laptop on my honeymoon and played a Soviet campaign on a cruise ship in the Caribbean =)