Author Topic: Remove Royal "unbannable" perk  (Read 32614 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Royal "unbannable" perk
« Reply #30: January 25, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »
forgot the other thing...

kill the stats of the region as diplomat... so the peasants boot him due to low stats..
---
doesn't have to make them inactive enough to boot. just keep stabbing him to stop him holding court or raising stat or do anything.

this all assumes, of course, the whole realm wants him out.. or at least a sizeable portion, including the judge and obviously ruler..

and in all honesty... all in paper. never done it myself.
firefox

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: January 25, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
Remind me of the time when Cleatus was removed from Sovonoval region lordship due to his old age slow recovery from serious wound after his religion preaching. He lost the lordship but was able to regain it back  ;)

Trying infiltrator attack on that Royal Duke and make him seriously wounded. Coupled with his old age factor and he unable to perform any work on the city, he will be remove from his post. If your Judge and your own realm infiltrator cannot do the trick, try put a high bounty on that Royal Duke head. Sooner or later other realms infiltrators will come to attempt the bounty ;D

Exile option, I only saw it worked once in the past on Colonies island. When Spearhead was exiled in the past due to his Royal status. The person who done it of course lost a lot of h/p as long as Spearhead remained in the realm without leaving.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: January 25, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
Sooner or later other realms infiltrators will come to attempt the bounty ;D

But you get the bounty regardless of whether or not you actually wound him enough to remove him from positions.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: January 25, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »
Oh, so you're wanting to violate his inalienable right to play at his own pace by banning him for being inactive?

Yes. If one of my nobles is not doing there job properly and its to the detriment of the realm, they should step down adn be moved to a less important position, if they are inactive and doing there job poorly and that is a detriment to the realm they should be punished as you would any other noble. OOC is Irrelevant in this
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:06:48 PM by DamnTaffer »

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: January 25, 2013, 01:21:56 PM »
Yes. If one of my nobles is not doing there job properly and its to the detriment of the realm, they should step down adn be moved to a less important position, if they are inactive and doing there job poorly and that is a detriment to the realm they should be punished as you would any other noble. OOC is Irrelevant in this

You're right, but that's not what was said in the original post. What was said was this:

players in the realm are given additional recourse against those characters which have stopped realm fun and engagement and simply want to sit on a gold mine.

The problem with this kind of line of thought is that you somehow expect everybody to actively participate to your fun, always, even if it's at the detriment of their own fun. That is what violates the IR. Everybody is entitled to play at its own pace because what is great in Battlemaster is that you can play it at your own pace. You shouldn't expect other people to play at your pace.

One thing I have seen very often are witch-hunts where someone gives a specific order to a specific person they know is mostly inactive, only to see them fail, and then use this excuse to remove them. That's wrong. It's not technically wrong, as you remove the person for a reason not related to the IR, but in many cases the underlying intent is to violate someone's IR, with a thin veneer of respectability layered on top.

Do your Dukes have a job? What is it? Is it being done? The truth is that in most realms, Dukes don't have a job to do, until one of them becomes inactive and then suddenly a job is invented, which is quickly forgotten as soon as he is replaced.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: January 25, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
Forced secession actually sounds nice. Perhaps we should think of a new way of putting it back in?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: January 25, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »
, if they are inactive and doing there job poorly and that is a detriment to the realm they should be punished as you would any other noble
Then say "not doing his job". Don't say "inactive". Because inactive does not automatically mean not doing their job. Depending on the position, it is absolutely possible to log in once every 4 days and do thejob perfectly well.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: January 25, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
It must be remembered that dukes are no longer necessarily margraves, though. And that to join a duchy, your region need not connect anymore. So it's not as bad as before, when the duke of the capital would have power over the whole duchy to appoint lords, the ability to scrap the militia whenever he'd want to support a rebellion (or add more to counter it), the likely wealthiest region of the realm, AND a duke share from everyone's income. He was the richest and most powerful person.

Now, dukes can be lords of rural regions, if lords at all. And it's rather easy to sway lords to change allegiance if their duke's inept. After all, they can join a duchy on the other side of the realm now if they want. You can also make dukes out of townslands, which helps give you options when you only have 1 city, and duchies need not always keep at least one city or townsland. So eternal dukes really aren't quite as bad as they used to be.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: January 25, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »
forgot the other thing...

kill the stats of the region as diplomat... so the peasants boot him due to low stats..

That works for Lords. It doesn't work for Dukes.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: January 25, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
That works for Lords. It doesn't work for Dukes.

If your Duke is not a Lord, then empty his duchy. There is no downside to keeping an empty duchy around as a courtesy title for an old guy who won't get out of his house anymore.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: January 25, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »
If the realm is united against him, then why not cripple his character until he leaves? Fines, isolation, and bounties sound like it would be enough to make a royal's life hell.

If I were a royal, and were fined every taxday and that money was put directly to a bounty on my head....I'd think twice about staying.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: January 25, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
Everyone is assuming the realm is united against him. That isn't necessarily the case.

Of course if the realm is united its easy to cause enough trouble to make him leave. I'm talking about the possibility of being removed from normal in game plotting or efforts.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: January 25, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
Everyone is assuming the realm is united against him. That isn't necessarily the case.

Of course if the realm is united its easy to cause enough trouble to make him leave. I'm talking about the possibility of being removed from normal in game plotting or efforts.

No, it isn't. If you have a lot of active players willing to dedicate a significant chunk of time to aggravating him, you can make him very aggravated. But if he's ornery enough, he can stay anyway.

There is no way to make a Royal leave unless he's dumb enough to, say, rebel against you and lose.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: January 25, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
No, it isn't. If you have a lot of active players willing to dedicate a significant chunk of time to aggravating him, you can make him very aggravated. But if he's ornery enough, he can stay anyway.

There is no way to make a Royal leave unless he's dumb enough to, say, rebel against you and lose.

And that's one of the things I think is toxic to the game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: January 25, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »
IIRC, the purpose of a Royal being unbannable in a realm is to have there be a possibility of having a force in the realm that the current government can't just make go away. You cannot solve all your problems by having your pet judge wave the magic banstick and send them packing. You have to fund some other way to deal with them, whether that means working with them, or removing them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.