Author Topic: Remove Royal "unbannable" perk  (Read 32510 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Royal "unbannable" perk
« Reply #90: January 30, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »
Never felt right to me that the deposed ruler had that power to decide if the rebels could or couldn't reform the government...

I agree on this point.

If you win a rebellion you should get to reform the government no matter what.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: January 30, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Is that the case then? I have no idea, AFAIK I'm the only ruler who's ever willingly abdicated during a rebellion :P

But yes, it would seem illogical. I always assumed Fulco didn't see the need for a reformation. Luria is and always will be a Monarchy, I simply can't imagine it working under a different system. Well, maybe a Tyranny, but that word has a particularly bad ring to it around Luria :P

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: January 30, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »
Is that the case then? I have no idea, AFAIK I'm the only ruler who's ever willingly abdicated during a rebellion :P

But yes, it would seem illogical. I always assumed Fulco didn't see the need for a reformation. Luria is and always will be a Monarchy, I simply can't imagine it working under a different system. Well, maybe a Tyranny, but that word has a particularly bad ring to it around Luria :P

Merlin rebelled in Coria and the ruler at the time abdicated. Merlin was unable to reform the government and Tim clarified that was the case at the time.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: January 30, 2013, 08:50:37 PM »
Please stop calling things an "abuse of the game mechanics" when you don't actually know that to be the case. Many of the measures provided have been done before. Some of them multiple times. This example is what I was getting at in another thread when I suggested that it was counter-productive to debate what is and is not an abuse. It spreads potential misinformation.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: January 31, 2013, 02:49:24 AM »
Personally, I think the "bribe a lord to switch realms" idea is a good one. Should be simple, quick, and painless. If you can do it, all it costs your realm is a region. If you do it right, you can even get a good border war out of it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: January 31, 2013, 05:09:26 AM »
Personally, I think the "bribe a lord to switch realms" idea is a good one. Should be simple, quick, and painless. If you can do it, all it costs your realm is a region. If you do it right, you can even get a good border war out of it.
Couldn't you have the lord switch, then kick him out of the estate, then switch back, or would that actually go into the abuse category?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: January 31, 2013, 01:59:44 PM »
I tend to think that would fall more into the abuse/metagaming category.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: January 31, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
You could always "sell" or "loan" the region away, for X months.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #98: January 31, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
You could always "sell" or "loan" the region away, for X months.

Not if you do this in the sole intent of removing someone with a royal status. It's about intent.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: January 31, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
I had to do it once, to put up a show for the rest of the world  :P got banned.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: January 31, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
Not if you do this in the sole intent of removing someone with a royal status. It's about intent.

I don't see how this would be abuse, but destroying the whole realm wouldn't...

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: January 31, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »
I don't see how this would be abuse, but destroying the whole realm wouldn't...

"I hate the King of Kepler. I want him dead, gone, erased from history, his name forgotten. When I'm done with him, there won't be a Kepler left." is a perfectly legitimate, IC sentiment.

"I hate the King of Kepler. I'll ask the Count of Kepler Fields to swear allegiance to Evilstan, evince him from his manor, then come back to Kepler" is not something a medieval noble would do. It's meta-gaming.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #102: January 31, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
"I hate the King of Kepler. I want him dead, gone, erased from history, his name forgotten. When I'm done with him, there won't be a Kepler left." is a perfectly legitimate, IC sentiment.

"I hate the King of Kepler. I'll ask the Count of Kepler Fields to swear allegiance to Evilstan, evince him from his manor, then come back to Kepler" is not something a medieval noble would do. It's meta-gaming.

Well... actually... I tend to think of many medieval nobles as lawyers. Finding a loophole in the laws to get their way, if need be. You only have to read Game of Thrones to get that.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: January 31, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »
Exactly. Dirty politics weren't invented in the 20th century.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: January 31, 2013, 07:11:19 PM »
Exactly. Dirty politics weren't invented in the 20th century.

You're right. Indirik's idea is fine for example: just kick out a small piece of land from your realm in order for the person to be kicked out along. You can even then try to reconquer that land without the offending person.

It's the contriveness of the region coming back immediately afterwards that bothers me. Changing allegiance is a serious matter, you don't do it once just planning to undo it the day after.