Author Topic: Remove Royal "unbannable" perk  (Read 32172 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Royal "unbannable" perk
« Reply #105: January 31, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
It's the contriveness of the region coming back immediately afterwards that bothers me. Changing allegiance is a serious matter, you don't do it once just planning to undo it the day after.

That's the problem I have with it.

Changing allegiance with the sole reason to get rid of a character and then immediately change the region back is really gamey to me.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #106: January 31, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
The discussion has moved far from the original suggestion for the feature request. This topic has been moved to Development for further discussions.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: January 31, 2013, 11:05:17 PM »
The thing is, that it IS impossible to remove a Royal from a realm. There is no way to actually remove them from your realm. The only current method that can even be attempted on them is Exile, but why should that noble leave. As Anaris stated earlier, leaving is stupid because Prestige and honor really don't mean anything in this game. A Royal cannot be removed from a realm under any circumstances.

How about because he can't use the banks, or recruit a unit, or basically do anything useful at all? Once you exile a noble, the game essentially becomes unplayable for him. The only reason left to stick around is to screw the guy who exiled him. He can talk (as in heckle), and that's about it. I have seen a character be exiled before, and he didn't bother staying.

As others have pointed out, there's plenty of creative ways to get rid of a Royal you don't like, or just make life so unpleasant for him that he gives up. If he's squatting in a city, just stop feeding it and wait for the inevitable peasant rebellion to kick him out of the lordship. Sure, it damages the city, but if you're really out to get the guy it should be worth it. Bounties, actively recruiting infiltrators to stab him, endless fines (if Royals can be fined; I'm not actually clear on that point)... Hell, on BT you could even use a couple of scrolls of monster summoning in his region and hope they do enough damage to get him tossed out. If you have priests at your beck and call, have him auto da fe'd repeatedly until one sticks. Sick a priest/diplomat on him to destroy the region's loyalty and morale. If he's not a duke, have his duke jack up his taxes so high that he gets nothing. If he is a duke, dissolve his duchy out from under him, THEN jack up his taxes.

If there really is a mandate to get rid of the guy, then you should have no trouble getting other characters to go along with these plans. And if there isn't a mandate, why should it be made easy for you to ban him out of hand just because you don't like him? This game needs more conflict, not less.

Blue Star

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #108: February 01, 2013, 12:48:58 AM »
Truly as their are so many options, they all are viable... Yet, aren't realistic. T do any of this takes a insurmountable amount of time and truly if it comes to pass you've done more damage than good.

Shouldn't the realm council be able to make such a choice for the betterment of the realm?
I think like a sinner. Curse like a sailor. Smile like a saint. :)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: February 01, 2013, 12:52:52 AM »
Truly as their are so many options, they all are viable... Yet, aren't realistic. T do any of this takes a insurmountable amount of time and truly if it comes to pass you've done more damage than good.

Shouldn't the realm council be able to make such a choice for the betterment of the realm?

The purpose of the Royal status' immunity to banishment is to force power struggles that amount to more than, "F U, King! And your Judge too!" *banned*

This isn't just going to be removed because it annoys the people in power.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #110: February 01, 2013, 04:19:45 AM »
What about holding a realm-wide referendum to determine if the noble should retain his/her Royal status? And if the answer comes out "No", then the Royal status gets removed? It was the realm as a whole that gave the noble their Royal status, in most cases, so they should have the power to remove it, too. It's really only the continued support of the nobility that makes someone Royal, anyway.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: February 01, 2013, 04:32:50 AM »
Royalty isn't something that should be decided by a popular vote if you ask me.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: February 01, 2013, 05:19:22 AM »
It is *supposed* to be a right bitch to get rid of a troublesome Royal. All these suggestions of easy ways to get of them via  game-mechanics "I win" button simply will not be accepted.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: February 01, 2013, 06:01:20 AM »

Look, if your conflict with a Royal is serious enough for you to want to ban him, it should be serious enough to warrant the time investment you're talking about, which is far from insurmountable by the way. I have seen several such options used on recalcitrant Dukes to great effect. Yes, there's collateral damage, but guess what? Power struggles are not without cost.

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: February 01, 2013, 07:44:24 AM »
Royalty isn't something that should be decided by a popular vote if you ask me.

+1

Some of us maneuver quite hard to gain Royal status, despite popularity.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #115: February 01, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »
oddly enough.. royalty status is decided by popular vote (or whichever voting system is used). or at least gaining it.
(not saying losing should be decided by such a vote...)
firefox

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #116: February 01, 2013, 08:49:09 AM »
oddly enough.. royalty status is decided by popular vote (or whichever voting system is used). or at least gaining it.
(not saying losing should be decided by such a vote...)

Sevastian gained his through secession. A bit different.