Author Topic: Pick up volounteers  (Read 11396 times)

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
Pick up volounteers
« Topic Start: April 08, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »
This Hero skills is somehow related to the quality of the troop you're leading.

My hero char has always picked them while leading infantry or archers, now with a SF unit I got the option but never found any even if I spent 6 hours looking for them.

Any clue?

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Pick up volounteers
« Reply #1: April 08, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
Maybe, but there might also be a hidden value in each region. Sometimes the option occurs in one region but not another. Sometimes it appears in a region where it formerly did not after a turn or so. The amount also varies among regions.

There might be this hidden "peasant availability" value per region, similar to the monster/undead values that are specific for each region.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 08, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »
One of my heroes was regularly able to find volunteers for her very-high-quality SF unit.

Until she wasn't, for a while.

And then she was again.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: April 08, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »
Delvin......... >:(

But I guess you can't tell us anything about it anyway.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 08, 2011, 08:40:56 PM »
I can tell you all about my observations as a player.

And...well, I pretty much already have  ;D  I don't use the option much.  I don't usually even remember to look.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 08, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »
I don't know how it works. With Alpha, I've recruited 25 elite infantry on a single campaign march. Likewise, I've, at times, been unable to recruit a single peasant rabble for takeover unit. Overall I've bolstered many units with the volunteers option.

I believe I've recruited volunteer SF, but I can't say with any certainty. I don't really have much experience with SF.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: April 08, 2011, 08:52:46 PM »
My favourite character, Daneel, became a hero, and almost every time he called for volunteers for his elite SF unit he was able to get 1 or 2, though I've only used the option a few times.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 08, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
thank you for the answers everybody!

it seems another non-deterministic feature of BM and it's perfectly fine like this (once I get used I really love this unpredictability :D)

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: April 08, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
So if you pick up volunteers, you get the same unit you are leading?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #9: April 08, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
Training and cohesion drop. The equipment appears to be static.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 08, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »
basically nothing changes, aside from training/cohesion which gets lowered.... and number of men, which goes up.
firefox

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #11: April 08, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »
Hm, actually about that, a curious thing is that the morale might change according to the region. Of course, like any other form of recruitment, it's factored into the morale of the entire unit.

It would make sense, but I have never picked up enough volunteers to see any notable differences, so I could be wrong about this. However, it seems that the normal recruitment shows troops with starting morale linked to their home regions. It would make sense if the volunteers also came with the morale of their region.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: April 08, 2011, 10:31:01 PM »
Hm, actually about that, a curious thing is that the morale might change according to the region. Of course, like any other form of recruitment, it's factored into the morale of the entire unit.

It would make sense, but I have never picked up enough volunteers to see any notable differences, so I could be wrong about this. However, it seems that the normal recruitment shows troops with starting morale linked to their home regions. It would make sense if the volunteers also came with the morale of their region.

I think volunteer morale comes from the region that they come from, but I don't know that to be a fact.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 10, 2011, 07:18:11 AM »
Could it be linked to where the recruitment centre for your unit is? Maybe in that region, and the regions surrounding it, you're more likely to find volunteers for your unit?

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 13, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
Training and cohesion drop. The equipment appears to be static.

This. I've never kept an eye on morale, but the equipment is always identical. Not sure how long any of you lot have the option to search for volunteers, but I tend to find I have a hero ability for three turns before it disappears again. The problem, as Anaris flags up, is remembering to look for it. I've found that regularly going out of my way to check the actions page is the best policy if you want to maximise the perks of playing a hero.