Author Topic: Pick up volounteers  (Read 11414 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Pick up volounteers
« Reply #15: April 13, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
I rarely remember to look for the pickup volunteers, so I rarely ever use it. As for telling tales, I usually only remember to do it *after* I've appointed the new lord already, and then can't use Tell Tales for the rest of the day. :(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: April 13, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
Even if sometime I regret to have chosen the hero path I've to say that both skills can have dramatic effects sometimes. Telling tales can raise morale more than several bureau work and pick up new soldiers without paying their recruitment is  really a big plus and can do the difference in certain situation

So, as a generic advice, if you're hero first thing to do is check the Action panel at every turn change :)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #17: April 13, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »
Hero Tales can have pretty good loyalty effects as well. They do have that nifty volunteer thing that can net you high quality troops occasionally for free. As it goes though, these are somewhat unpredictable and unreliable skills, but for that, high risk high reward. Heroes can move family homes, which might come in handy I guess if you're particularly rich, as you can set it up in any region I believe. They can escape from prison every turn as well. The only downsides I see are the mortality and subclass lock, and those aren't too bad if one is truly dedicated to the path of the hero.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: April 13, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »
The only downsides I see are the mortality and subclass lock, and those aren't too bad if one is truly dedicated to the path of the hero.

No civil and police work also. That is a serious lack.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #19: April 13, 2011, 11:07:02 PM »
Not really, since your own inability to do police work should not affect the realm, and if it does, then that's a pathetic realm, or one that is 100% composed of heroes and/or priests and/or traders and/or cavaliers. Civil work is not often as good as hero tales, and even so, nothing stops a hero from taking the Courtier main class.

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: April 13, 2011, 11:58:57 PM »
Not really, since your own inability to do police work should not affect the realm, and if it does, then that's a pathetic realm, or one that is 100% composed of heroes and/or priests and/or traders and/or cavaliers. Civil work is not often as good as hero tales, and even so, nothing stops a hero from taking the Courtier main class.

Indeed, I often switch my hero to courtier when there is no war and do some good maintenance. The Hero class is well designed after alk, sure sometimes you feel you're loosing something because you can't change subclass but also be a hero could provide good RP.

I'd add something to the Priest/Hero, the martyr can be good for RP but maybe a little extra skill/feature for this combo cold be even more fun.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: April 14, 2011, 02:46:01 PM »

Give a region in a bad shape to a hero, and he will just sit around doing nothing maybe even with a large unit. Give it to another classed noble, and he can have a huge effect on the region doing police work as the lord. Going courtier wouldn't solve much as the bonus you receive being the lord is not comparable with the likely low bureaucracy skill you have, and plus you likely have to drop down men to do it, without mentioning that in difficult regions police work is much more effective than surveying administration.

It is clearly not a tragedy, but still a lack I noticed quite often.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #22: April 14, 2011, 02:55:16 PM »
Meh, don't give a region to a hero then. And no, I don't think it breaks IR.

Example:

Hero: I want to be lord of Town!
Ruler: No, you're a hero, you're useless in region maintenance.
Hero: You're discriminating against me for being a hero!
Ruler: Your point?
Hero (OOC): What, you want me to change my class? That's IR violation!
Ruler (OOC): I don't give a **** what class you choose. I'm not telling you to change your class, but you also aren't entitled to having lordships. My rule is no hero will get lordship. You are guaranteed the right to be a hero, not lordships. Don't like it? Then leave.

Jhaelen Irsei

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: April 14, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
I've a hero char and he was count and now duke, no problem at all

If you're a lord you can do much already to reshape your region: hold court, put some militia, switch to courtier or priest. Yes, it could be less effective, but your lord hero is not alone, he should have dame and knights that can do maintenance of their region, other realm mates, etc...I don't see a so big loss

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: April 14, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
I don't see why any ruler would ever not give a hero a lordship. I play a hero who is also a region lord. If I ever have a problem with the stats I just go back and hold court. Region stats are always in the mid to upper 90%'s. All you have to do is recruit enough knights so that the estates efficiency is over 100%.
Forbes Family

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #25: April 14, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »
I'm not saying that a ruler shouldn't. But if it really gets to be as bad as Peri has implied, then just don't give it to a hero.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: April 15, 2011, 09:10:15 AM »
if it gets that bad, then whoever you give it to doesn't matter. the hero can even be the sacrifice for the peasants to boot out! XD
firefox

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: April 15, 2011, 11:12:46 AM »
well I said "a region in a bad shape", and with that I mean all those region freshly taken and looted like hell, where lords can't hold court at all but can just sit there and help as they can, waiting for the peasants to cool down. That's exactly when a hero lord twiddle his thumbs. As I said, it's not a tragedy, but sometimes it can still lead to problems.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 15, 2011, 02:29:39 PM »
well I said "a region in a bad shape", and with that I mean all those region freshly taken and looted like hell, where lords can't hold court at all but can just sit there and help as they can, waiting for the peasants to cool down. That's exactly when a hero lord twiddle his thumbs. As I said, it's not a tragedy, but sometimes it can still lead to problems.

That's exactly the kind of situation where it doesn't matter much who you appoint as lord, because what you need to do is sit half your army in that region doing (normal!) police and civil work, and your bureaucrats doing survey administration, until it recovers enough loyalty to hold court.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 15, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
I dislike it when people make IC decisions based on a character's class. :(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.