Author Topic: Couldn't peasants have gaurds too?  (Read 3010 times)

Ushi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Couldn't peasants have gaurds too?
« Topic Start: January 26, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »
I mean if peasants have the money they could buy whatever they want like... Henchmen or Soldiers to help them clear out the undead or monsters.

Of course The peasant wouldn't go into the battlefield if there is one. I'm guessing the henchmen could help the adventurer with hunting the undead and monsters. Making is easier for them, but giving out less experience in the process. But, giving them leadership bonuses.

Dividing honor by 1/4. Plus a prestige ratio of 1. Will make their max unit count.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Couldn't peasants have gaurds too?
« Reply #1: January 26, 2013, 06:45:56 PM »
"oh look, your lordship, there's a band of scruffy looking men following some other scruffy looking man around, well armed and all."
"kill the lot of them, bandits no doubt."
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: January 26, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
I mean if peasants have the money they could buy whatever they want like... Henchmen or Soldiers to help them clear out the undead or monsters.

We are playing in a period where people couldn't even wear the colour of clothes they wanted if they didn't belong to the right class.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 26, 2013, 06:57:57 PM »
"oh look, your lordship, there's a band of scruffy looking men following some other scruffy looking man around, well armed and all."
"kill the lot of them, bandits no doubt."

At first I lol'd...then I thought about it. Imagine the adventurer class with a subclass "brigand/bandit". It would allow advy's a chance to hurt realms (instead of always helping). It's a rather neat thought.

As far as regular advy's running around with units, seems unnecessary. I kinda assume that is all covered under 'adventuring/sword-fighting gear'. Pack-mules, armor, idiots who are willing to follow some vagabond who fights monsters.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 26, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »

Of course The peasant wouldn't go into the battlefield if there is one. I'm guessing the henchmen could help the adventurer with hunting the undead and monsters. Making is easier for them, but giving out less experience in the process. But, giving them leadership bonuses.

Dividing honor by 1/4. Plus a prestige ratio of 1. Will make their max unit count.

Your "henchmen" are other adventurers. You fight together by passing them hunt locations.

Also: Personally, I could see an argument for adding paraphernalia that adventurers could hire. I'm not sure I agree with Tom's implication that peasants of this time period could never have hired guards.

But I don't think it would be worth the coding effort to do so.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: January 26, 2013, 09:45:15 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with Tom's implication that peasants of this time period could never have hired guards.

There were times and places in medieval europe, where simply possession of certain items such as swords or metal armour, was a no-questions-asked death sentence for a peasant. The history buffs might want to weigh in on this, but I'm pretty sure the weaponized guy in the tavern waiting to be hired is the stuff of D&D.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 26, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »
There were times and places in medieval europe, where simply possession of certain items such as swords or metal armour, was a no-questions-asked death sentence for a peasant. The history buffs might want to weigh in on this, but I'm pretty sure the weaponized guy in the tavern waiting to be hired is the stuff of D&D.

Sure. But weren't there also times and places in medieval Europe where it was common and expected to be able to hire guards?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 27, 2013, 12:12:13 AM »

Depends on how strongly controlled an area was.  In the core regions of France during the reign of a strong monarch with peace on all the borders?  No way in hell.  In the borderlands that England and France were fighting over for a few decades, with troops having lost officers and looking for someone to provide gold for their swords, very common.  And in lands with very little actual control, like Silesia, say, all the time.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 27, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »
I'd assume that wealthy merchants were able to hire guards, especially in areas where the aristocracy wasn't particularly powerful, i.e. Hanseatic League member states.

But I'd like to see peasant insurrections. Rebellions so powerful, that neighbouring kingdoms would have to dispatch armies to aid in quelling them, least the flames of revolution spread into their own domains. Sure they'd die down eventually, but the order of things would be upset, many nobles lying dead, estates broken up, castles ruined. Up-in-coming nobles would seize the opportunity to cast down old families that had grown weak, and install themselves as the new leaders.