Author Topic: Archers  (Read 5233 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Archers
« Reply #15: January 30, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
I added range 4... the math doesn't add up.
I have no idea how you can possibly say that the math doesn't add up, when you don't even know the equation to use. If you were using the right equation, then you can be certain that the math would work out.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 30, 2013, 05:37:54 PM »
Range is stored as an integer. The rounding is done during recruitment.

I took Solari's comment as a confirmation that Kwanstein's hypothesis was right. After all, he is a dev.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 30, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
He may not have looked at the code for it. I know I haven't.

But even so, you don't know the exact equation used. Maybe it accounts for weapon rating, or training. Maybe it counts the new troops as a percentage of the total final troop count, or as a percentage of the initial troop count. Or something else completely. And you don't know where the cutoff from R4 to R5 is. It could even be a two-step process.

What I do know, from seeing some of the other calculations that Tom has used in the past, is that he rarely uses anything as simple as a straight average.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 30, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »
I looked at the code before replying. It adds up. I know some people would like the formula, but we can't do that. But the question was about how range was stored, which has been answered.  ;)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 30, 2013, 09:08:29 PM »
So what if distance penalties are the same regardless of maximum range (doesn't feel right though), r4 (or r5) still get an extra round of shots without moving forward to expose themselves.
yes and no. it depends on your luck (or whatever) whether they walk or shoot. (or both!)

the no damage to you bit is nice, when you are shooting at idiots dug in or something, and doesn't move for rounds.

but the more serious point is... better stats is probably better off than 1 extra range...  i reckon r3 is good, r4 a bonus.. r5 could be a bit of a waste of time.. if all you do is minute damage.
firefox

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: February 03, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
the only thing you could do with r5 i suppose is an obnoxious rearguard deploy.