Author Topic: Sea Routes = is the World Round or Flat?  (Read 5163 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Routes = is the World Round or Flat?
« Reply #15: February 11, 2013, 01:35:53 PM »
As Anaris said, the planet only makes sense if you consider that they are somewhat linearly aligned, and that the ocean east of the Far East island is either too large (and without useful sea or wind currents) or too dangerous (due to icebergs) to be navigated, hence why all new continents to be colonized have been west of the last, and the first settlements on their eastern portions (for BT and Dwi, at least).

Err...whut? The most recent continent was Dwilight, which, yes, was considered to be west of the other continents.

But the continent to open before that was, in fact, the Far East. Which, oddly enough, is considered to be east of all the rest.

Before that was the split from South Island to South-West (old) and South-East (new) Islands, and before that was Beluaterra, which, aside from the settlements on the eastern coast, had no particular indication of its location relative to other continents.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Sea Routes = is the World Round or Flat?
« Reply #16: February 12, 2013, 01:59:55 AM »
Err...whut? The most recent continent was Dwilight, which, yes, was considered to be west of the other continents.

But the continent to open before that was, in fact, the Far East. Which, oddly enough, is considered to be east of all the rest.

Before that was the split from South Island to South-West (old) and South-East (new) Islands, and before that was Beluaterra, which, aside from the settlements on the eastern coast, had no particular indication of its location relative to other continents.

The Far East was obviously an exception.

Okay, maybe it's a crappy rule I made up. I always viewed BT as being West of the rest, though. One could say that travel between EI and FEI was rather difficult, and perhaps was only enabled by the colonization of the SEI who'd have been somewhere in-between.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron