Author Topic: Exile - Last Ditch Effort or Self Infliction?  (Read 29449 times)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Exile - Last Ditch Effort or Self Infliction?
« Topic Start: January 30, 2013, 04:21:49 AM »
So the Ruler of my realm just exiled a Duke for very good reasons, and this message came up:

Noble exiled   (4 hours, 52 minutes ago)
****, **** of ****l has exiled ****, Duke of ****, Viscount of **** from the realm!
As a consequence, **** can no longer use most of the realms infrastructure, however he retains all titles and is still a member of the realm unless he leaves.
**** is, if you want to see it that way, engaging in a power contest with a hated enemy here. The longer **** can stay in the realm despite being exiled, the more honour and prestige **** will lose.

How is this option in anyway worthwhile? I thought exile was a way to remove Duke's not to injure oneself in the long run. Where does any of that say it is a bad thing for the guy getting exiled? He retains all titles and is still a member of the realm? Why bother, is my question?

Does the exiled person suffer any real consequences or can they just tramp around as a nuisance for as long as they feel like causing a steady decrease in the Ruler's stats?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

egamma

Re: Exile - Last Ditch Effort or Self Infliction?
« Reply #1: January 30, 2013, 05:04:46 AM »
You didn't read the page and the help page closely before pushing the button, did you? Too bad. Reading is good.

Key points from the wiki:
"They will no longer be able to use the banks, recruiting centers, shops, or any other such realm infrastructure. Exile is not, however, without its own cost. It is a test of wills between the ruler and the exiled noble. For so long as the exiled noble remains within the realm, both he and the ruler will slowly lose both honor, and even prestige. This gradual loss will only end when either the exiled noble leaves the realm, or the ruler steps down from the throne."

If they leave your realm--step outside your lands, I think, due to the "within the realm" phrase--then they become rogues.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 30, 2013, 05:17:51 AM »
You didn't read the page and the help page closely before pushing the button, did you? Too bad. Reading is good.

Key points from the wiki:
"They will no longer be able to use the banks, recruiting centers, shops, or any other such realm infrastructure. Exile is not, however, without its own cost. It is a test of wills between the ruler and the exiled noble. For so long as the exiled noble remains within the realm, both he and the ruler will slowly lose both honor, and even prestige. This gradual loss will only end when either the exiled noble leaves the realm, or the ruler steps down from the throne."

If they leave your realm--step outside your lands, I think, due to the "within the realm" phrase--then they become rogues.
He didn't push the button-he is not ruler. Thanks for the info though.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: January 30, 2013, 05:24:22 AM »

How is exile a viable option for removing Dukes? Outside of self destruction, are Dukes supposed to be untouchable? I thought that was what exile was for...

This is the first time I've ever seen it done, and it was not what I thought it was.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 30, 2013, 05:59:46 AM »
How is exile a viable option for removing Dukes? Outside of self destruction, are Dukes supposed to be untouchable? I thought that was what exile was for...

This is the first time I've ever seen it done, and it was not what I thought it was.
Its not self destruction, its mutual destruction. Is it viable? Not really because nothing ever actually forces him to leave even if he loses all of his honor and prestige. Exile is basically a strong encouragement to leave but nothing actually forces it. To the, I though exile was made to attack dukes, its one use but no mutual destruction makes overpowering IMO.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:01:41 AM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 30, 2013, 06:46:48 AM »
Whatever gave you the impression that exiling was an "I win" button for rulers over dukes?

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 30, 2013, 06:54:37 AM »
Exile isn't meant to take out Dukes in the first place. And there are plenty of ways of dealing with Dukes besides exiling them, with varying degrees of collateral damage. Just take a look at Luria's history if you need creative ways of booting out Dukes.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 30, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
..... once upon a time, you get taxes in bonds. you get the idea why no access to banks was useful?
firefox

Eirikr

« Reply #8: January 30, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
If I recall, exiling was also buffed recently. It used to be heavily weighted in favor of the target, but now I believe the target loses stats at a higher rate. I think it was on the News feed.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 30, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
Unless you have a lot of H/P to be waste on exile someone, do not use it often. In my Battlemaster playing experience, I only ever seen this exile option used once. It was used to stir up trouble of course 8)
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: January 30, 2013, 10:08:38 AM »
I once exiled someone when I was young and foolish. It wasn't pretty.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: January 30, 2013, 01:12:32 PM »
Exiles are rarely every useful. I've never used it, and I don't see my self ever using it either.

That wasn't my interpretation, but I would really like to know if that is true.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: January 30, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »
Unless you have a lot of H/P to be waste on exile someone, do not use it often ever.

There, fixed that for you.

Exiles are rarely every useful. I've never used it, and I don't see my self ever using it either.
That wasn't my interpretation, but I would really like to know if that is true.

Not even a little bit.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 30, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »
Now that everyone understands what exile does and does not do, I expect (hope, really) that when it is used, it's used on people who can't afford to wait it out or aren't prone to griefing. Example: Malus was going to use it on those people from the Huntsmen of Noble Right, but then I read the details and sized up the will of the competition and wrote it off as suicidal.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: January 30, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
Now that everyone understands what exile does and does not do, I expect (hope, really) that when it is used, it's used on people who can't afford to wait it out or aren't prone to griefing. Example: Malus was going to use it on those people from the Huntsmen of Noble Right, but then I read the details and sized up the will of the competition and wrote it off as suicidal.

I often wonder if any of that crowd managed to slip through our net. I'm sure some have... it's the only thing that really gets Hireshmont looking over his shoulder from time to time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner