Author Topic: Exile - Last Ditch Effort or Self Infliction?  (Read 29452 times)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
Re: Exile - Last Ditch Effort or Self Infliction?
« Reply #45: February 01, 2013, 08:42:44 PM »
As I recall, Abbigal was a friend of Allison.

Still is, afaik, and it's been a huge issue in the entire situation.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: February 01, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »

Honestly though, it seems to me that the best option is just to get Morek to come and burn BR to the ground.

I also like Chenier's infrastructure-overload idea. I can imagien the fury of a lord waking up to find that the rulers of the realm are stationing a permanent army in his city which he is expected to feed, supply, and pay.

But that wouldn't actually rogue the region or drive him out would it?

No it would not, but it would possibly cause infrastructure to be dismantled and it would reduce his income to near-zero. He could start disbanding militia, but he would have to pay gold out of his own pocket to do it. As long as his enemies keep dropping more troops there, enough there to zero out his income, he'll eventually run low on gold. I believe he'll still be able to earn gold via food sales though, assuming the militia doesn't eat all the surplus.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: February 01, 2013, 09:28:18 PM »
.... how much does the militia eat? you are probably looking for hundreds of men for a few bushels a day.

do infils get to burn food?
firefox

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: February 01, 2013, 09:47:47 PM »
Yeah I don't think they eat that much, honestly. I have never tried to determine exactly how much food troops consume, but I believe it to be negligible. I mentioned it not because I think it would be significant in practice, but because it's possible in theory.

As far as I know, yes, infiltrators can burn granaries. I doubt one could do it on a sustained basis though, especially if there's also a huge quantity of militia in the region (which would make infiltrator actions harder to complete).

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: February 01, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »
Yeah I don't think they eat that much, honestly. I have never tried to determine exactly how much food troops consume, but I believe it to be negligible. I mentioned it not because I think it would be significant in practice, but because it's possible in theory.

As far as I know, yes, infiltrators can burn granaries. I doubt one could do it on a sustained basis though, especially if there's also a huge quantity of militia in the region (which would make infiltrator actions harder to complete).

But the judge could just continually release him.

And why does the exiled person need gold? How does that hurt him to lose gold?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: February 01, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »
Good call Sypher ;)
I believe it can split if it wants. I see no reason why it doesn't, if they are so angry about having Sevastian around. It's not like they had BR before Sevastian joined, or any of the regions commonly acknowledged as his domain.
It can not split. The last city of the realm is unable to leave the realm through secession though I don't know about changing allegiance. Also, I am not fighting for sides exactly or that iron willed is bad, what I don't like is that it is one-sided so I just don't like the situation in general. In any realm where the ruler is elected regularly, like Sevastion's, the exiled can always win the battle. Always.  All you have to do is wait long enough and you win. That's what I don't like, that iron willed on the ruler's part does nothing, while iron-willed on the exile's part means he can't lose.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: February 01, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
But he can be dealt with, you just don't see the solution.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: February 02, 2013, 01:14:39 AM »
+1

Being married to a Light of the Church of SA helps too.

I knew Sevastian and Malus patched things up, but wow. Was Sevastian planning on informing his wife, the Luminary? :p
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: February 02, 2013, 01:27:51 AM »
Actually, Malus has yet to write Sevastian. I keep forgetting and stuff keeps getting in the way when I do remember. Like, literally. He hasn't written to Sevastian in real-life months.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: February 02, 2013, 01:32:03 AM »
Actually, Malus has yet to write Sevastian. I keep forgetting and stuff keeps getting in the way when I do remember. Like, literally. He hasn't written to Sevastian in real-life months.

So Malus is a terrible spouse?

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: February 02, 2013, 01:33:02 AM »
I knew Sevastian and Malus patched things up, but wow. Was Sevastian planning on informing his wife, the Luminary? :p

Light, Luminary, it all has to do with illumination :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: February 02, 2013, 01:36:57 AM »

Honestly though, it seems to me that the best option is just to get Morek to come and burn BR to the ground.

I also like Chenier's infrastructure-overload idea. I can imagien the fury of a lord waking up to find that the rulers of the realm are stationing a permanent army in his city which he is expected to feed, supply, and pay.

But that wouldn't actually rogue the region or drive him out would it?

Nop, but as others aid, could bankrupt him while draining his food. Which, theoretically, could end up starving the region, but I don't see that happening.

SA elders COULD ask Machiavel to convert the region to VE, and use claim region and/cause unrest. I don't see that happening, though.

Any ambassador could lower sympathy to Swordfell, helping to cause it revolt (while also making it harder to get back under control after).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: February 02, 2013, 01:39:43 AM »
You know what would have solved this problem before it started? Two parties not entering into an arrangement with ulterior motives. The question, then, is whether either of the parties (IC) wanted this to succeed.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: February 02, 2013, 01:41:36 AM »
You know what would have solved this problem before it started? Two parties not entering into an arrangement with ulterior motives. The question, then, is whether either of the parties (IC) wanted this to succeed.

Yea, not having a Lurian head the secession would have been a good thing. Then, rebelling against him could have patched things up.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: February 02, 2013, 01:44:14 AM »

So you're saying neither party can be Lurian? :p