Author Topic: I figured out what is wrong with Trade...and how to fix it  (Read 45777 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Who's talking about encouraging it? As I said before, this discussion harkens back to me saying what I'd do if I had the region. The replies I'm getting are complete non sequiturs.

The profitability encourages it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I actually don't think I've seen that. Not to hijack the thread topic, but does it effect region loyalty very much? Does the peasant loyalty actually suffer if you aren't engaged with a hated realm?
Not sure exactly what it does (morale or loyalty), but it does matter since the opposite is disagreeing with the war which when stacked, had massive effects on Aurvandil I believe.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The profitability encourages it.

But as others have noted, no one other than myself and a few other weirdos are interested in nursing a region for an extended period of time.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
But as others have noted, no one other than myself and a few other weirdos are interested in nursing a region for an extended period of time.

Such situations are rare, but not exceptional. The number of lords who always stay in their regions, whether they achieve the same kinds of taxes that you did or not, is too great.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Such situations are rare, but not exceptional. The number of lords who always stay in their regions, whether they achieve the same kinds of taxes that you did or not, is too great.

...really? This has most definitely not been my experience. It's not usually a complaint I hear in other areas of the game, either. It's like pulling teeth to get a liege to perform basic tasks like placing food orders or building a much needed workshop.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
...really? This has most definitely not been my experience. It's not usually a complaint I hear in other areas of the game, either. It's like pulling teeth to get a liege to perform basic tasks like placing food orders or building a much needed workshop.

Hey, hey, whoa, who said anything about actually doing useful work?

All Chénier was talking about was Lords sitting on their butts in their regions.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Hey, hey, whoa, who said anything about actually doing useful work?

All Chénier was talking about was Lords sitting on their butts in their regions.

Good point.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
And I didn't say everyone did it, just that too many do.

egamma

I've seen wars lost, or not started, because of lords running taxes too high and having to remain in their region to keep them under control.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Have the judge fine them for neglecting military duty then. This is not a problem which needs to be addressed OOC. In fact, it is not even common. It's only on the forum that I occasionally hear stories of how Aurvandil had really high tax rates, or how Allison ran her city at the maximum tax rate. I've never actually seen any of this in the game, all of my lieges invariably set annoyingly low tax rates, far below what could be supported.

Gustav Kuriga

Have the judge fine them for neglecting military duty then. This is not a problem which needs to be addressed OOC. In fact, it is not even common. It's only on the forum that I occasionally hear stories of how Aurvandil had really high tax rates, or how Allison ran her city at the maximum tax rate. I've never actually seen any of this in the game, all of my lieges invariably set annoyingly low tax rates, far below what could be supported.

what is your idea of normal taxes?

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I've never actually seen any of this in the game, all of my lieges invariably set annoyingly low tax rates, far below what could be supported.

Paging Lorgan to topic number 3778. Lorgan to 3778.

But seriously, there's a healthy subculture in BM of players who try to run 20-25% tax rates because it can be done. Doesn't mean it's smart.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
what is your idea of normal taxes?

Median Tax Rates

By continent
EC: 15
AT: 14
BT: 14
Col: 12
FEI: 14.5
Dwi: 14

By region type
City: 15
Town: 13
Stronghold: 15
Rural: 14
Woodland: 13.5
Badland: 13

For every region in the game: 14

----

The averages are even lower. There is very little variation in these numbers within realms or even between realms. Takeaway: Your neighbor does not have some critical advantage that you are missing out on because you aren't committed enough. People need to stop treating the game like a simulator, attempting to squeeze every last ounce out of it. Do the tasks expected of your character's role and go battle/diplomacize/convert/trade something or someone.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Actually, it's historically accurate for nobles to squeeze their peasants out of every last piece of gold, even to their own detriment. In fact, BM only allows one to scratch the surface of what was done to exploit the peasants.  In order to simulate reality better there should, in addition to high taxes, be options to...

...1. implement antiquated laws that have long been forgotten, so that peasants would unwittingly break them and have to pay fines for atonement.

2. Ban a random economic activity; allow only those who purchase permits to partake in it. Fine everyone who does it without a permit and put a high price tag on the permits.

3. Initiate a phony war in order to necessitate phony war taxes.

4. Fix the value of currency (by threat of force) so that it is high when debts are large and low when revenues come in.

Gustav Kuriga

Actually, it's historically accurate for nobles to squeeze their peasants out of every last piece of gold, even to their own detriment. In fact, BM only allows one to scratch the surface of what was done to exploit the peasants.  In order to simulate reality better there should, in addition to high taxes, be options to...

...1. implement antiquated laws that have long been forgotten, so that peasants would unwittingly break them and have to pay fines for atonement.

2. Ban a random economic activity; allow only those who purchase permits to partake in it. Fine everyone who does it without a permit and put a high price tag on the permits.

3. Initiate a phony war in order to necessitate phony war taxes.

4. Fix the value of currency (by threat of force) so that it is high when debts are large and low when revenues come in.

Actually that is false. Nobles would ask their peasants for taxes, yes, but only a stupid or desperate one would do try to bleed them dry.