Author Topic: Infiltrators with hidden-network/anonymous capabilities  (Read 3255 times)

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Summary: Infiltrators would have an option to create a hidden group/guild similar to the underground.

Additional capabilities could include anonymous messages (rumors) that could be sent outside the group.

Details: Infiltrators would have the ability to create/maintain a spy-network that any person on the continent could join with an invitation. The network would resemble the 'rebellion/underground' available to realm-specific malcontents, but would be led by the Infiltrator and capable of including the entire continent. The infiltrator (or multiple infiltrators) would have power over who can join and who knew what. Potentially, a guild-based rank/treasury could be implemented.

An additional option would be to allow the infiltrator to leak information/misinformation through anonymous messages outside of the group. With a chance of exposure (dependent on skills, region loyalty, not sure), it would be a way to send information you wouldn't want people to know that you were aware of on a reasonable gamble.

Benefits: Giving infiltrators a chance to organize and lead reconnaissance and info gathering, as well as being able to spread misinformation more easily. It would open up more game-mechanic related ways for members of different realms to plot with one another, as well as create potential factions independent of the realms. It could be used for multiple RP purposes (underground cults, shadow societies, etc), and generally making the infiltrator class more of a 'spy-master' role.

The ability to send anonymous messages would help create a rumor mill that could be used/misused for multiple purposes. Slanders, exposing plots, or framing others for leaking information.

Possible Exploits/Downsides: As to secret groups, "Clan-like" behavior would be easier to disguise. Distrust could become a major problem.

As to anonymous messaging, it could become a spamming tool. However, if it were sent like a regular letter the 'vulgarity' report could balance that.

Just wanted to throw this out there. I'm not real familiar with either the Infiltrator class or rebellions (working on what I remember of the old system), but it seems like people would like the infiltrator class reworked. I, for one, would like to see a true 'spy-master' capability in the game that was supported by game mechanics.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
just found a normal secret soc. so secret that no one will know about it until you tell them
firefox

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
just found a normal secret soc. so secret that no one will know about it until you tell them

You mean a purely RP/letter based society/group? Or is there already a game-mechanic for what I'm talking about?
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
You mean a purely RP/letter based society/group? Or is there already a game-mechanic for what I'm talking about?
No to the first Q and yes to the second but no anonymous messaging. I know on at least one continent, they already have one or infiltrators.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Mind posting a wiki-link? I tried checking the wiki to make sure this wasn't already in play, but didn't find anything.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Secret societies are a type of guild where the membership is not common knowledge, and the guildhouses are invisible to Lords.

Messages are not anonymous, though.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Thanks. Seems like that covers what I had in mind. All it would require is that infiltrators utilize it, I suppose. Feel free to delete/lock/whatever the thread.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
What are the requirements for establishing a Secret Society though? I assume that like religions and guilds you would have to be a region lord. Additionally, I assume that nobles would have to come to your building to join. I imagine that a spy network could be started by any infiltrator, region lord or not, and that nobles could join if the infiltrator was present.

If non-lords can create secret societies and the head of a secret society can allow nobles to join with something like a priest's private sermon then none of tha above matters... Heck I would be satisfied enough with the sermon like option alone. Of course, I imagine that such an option would be more like recruitment, initiated and paid for by the spy master.

My only other thought is that none of this really does anything for the Infiltrator class specifically. Using a secret society as a spy network can be done by anyone and infiltrators do not seem to gain anything with this. If there was no recruitment option, perhaps that would be a fun think to give to infiltrators. Kind of like priests can hold private sermons for a religion, infiltrators can perform recruitment for a secret society...

Enough rambling though.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Any lord can create a secret society. In order to join a secret society, you have to have the new member come to the safehouse, with a current member (elder only, maybe? I forget) and then use the IG function to "Invite them to join".
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Kind of like priests can hold private sermons for a religion, infiltrators can perform recruitment for a secret society...

That would be interesting.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
I like the sermon esque recruitment style for secret societies. However: if you need a game mechanic outside of what exists to run a spy network, you're doing it wrong.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.