Author Topic: Stand and Fight. Really?  (Read 10735 times)

Longmane

• Noble Lord
  • Longmane Family.
    • View Profile
Re: Stand and Fight. Really?
« Topic Start: April 10, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
It's not so much the scarcity of books or thesis's etc concerning such things that's the problem, as rather abundant on the whole, but a matter of not just finding the rascals in the first place but also sorting the chaff from the corn.

As while there's plenty of books etc out there, and indeed themselves are mostly very informative and the like, the problem I've found is that while the majority are usually lightweight in the detail needed, and as such usually leave you no wiser then before  ???,  those that aren't can often suffer from other shortcomings, ie as while latter day authors (19th century onwards usually) sometimes fall into the trap of throwing the baby out with the bath water when it comes to eyewitness accounts of the period etc, (ie Just because one thing sir cuthbert said didn't seem kosher they don't just omit it, but actually change it to what they believe happened) the earlier ones facts can sometimes be skewed by bias, either deliberate or otherwise.

I myself have been very lucky in acquiring two excellent tomes on the subject, one I learnt about at our town library (while on a visit searching for that other damn elusive book ) and the other through it being quoted from, and highly lauded, in a thesis by a Professor and fellow arthur on the subject.

I can't remember their names exactly at the moment, as still on the road (nearly 2 weeks now without hitting home-base  ;D ) and unable access my home PC let alone actually lay my hands on them, but once get chance I'll post the titles and authors, as think would find at least the second one fascinating and highly informative, ie gives the complete order of march, making camp and battle preparations for the templars etc, and likewise eyewitness accounts of battles from such people as Saladin's son himself.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.  "Albert Einstein"