Author Topic: A question on a realm time has long seen pass  (Read 6333 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
A question on a realm time has long seen pass
« Topic Start: February 02, 2013, 05:13:21 AM »
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Ethiala#Out_of_Character_Rules

The realm of Ethiala on FEI had a clause at that link.  I'll repost it here for those lazy. :P

Ethiala is considered a serious roleplaying realm and so requires that all players choose appropriate names for their characters. At an absolute minimum, characters are required to be aware of the [[Serious Medieval Atmosphere]] guidelines, and are also recommended to familiarize themselves with the [[RP Primer]].
There are no 'RP Police' and only the most blatant out-of-character behavior (such as an inappropriate name) will result in an OOC ban. For everything else, just be aware that advancement is usually rewarded to characters who contribute to the medieval feel of Ethiala.

So, I'm wondering, was this legitimate?  Could realms dictate this sort of thing at one time?  Could they still with it not being viewed as an OOC Ban abuse?

Does anyone know if they ever actually used such force in-game, or was it a hollow threat?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: A question on a realm time has long seen pass
« Reply #1: February 02, 2013, 05:21:51 AM »
OOC ban is for cheating or serious abuse of the game. It is not appropriate to OOC ban for a poor name, even on Dwilight. It should be reported to the Titans /Magistrates. I can't see any rule such as this as being legitimate.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 02, 2013, 08:09:31 AM »
I would support what Indirik said.

Such messages could serve as signals to ward off "unserious" players, but could not actually be very much enforced.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 02, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
The SMA page says this:

On any island explicitly marked as one we want to have a serious medieval atmosphere (currently: Dwilight), the above guidelines will be enforced by the ruler of each realm, which means anyone breaking them repeatedly or so blatantly that it hurts the atmosphere will find his character deported to some other random island.

If you believe that someone is failing to follow the guidelines, then you should report them to your ruler, who will take any necessary action. If you believe that the ruler is failing to uphold the guidelines, then you can report him to the Titans if necessary.

An OOC ban would not be appropriate, but the rulers are still expected to enforce the guidelines without recourse to the Magistrates every time. Asking characters with silly names to leave, and deporting/banning them if they won't, is appropriate.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 02, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
This is about a realm on FEI, not Dwilight. SMA does not apply to FEI.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 02, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »
This is about a realm on FEI, not Dwilight. SMA does not apply to FEI.

Right, I was refering to this comment:

It is not appropriate to OOC ban for a poor name, even on Dwilight. It should be reported to the Titans /Magistrates.

On Dwilight, t is up to the ruler to enforce that rule, ideally through IC means. OOC bans are inappropriate, but it should not be automatically reported either.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 02, 2013, 01:48:20 PM »
Of course, you can work with the player to change, if they will. But if you need to escalate the situation, OOC ban is not the right way. Report to the Titans via SMA report. Titans can force deport, Magistrates cannot.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 02, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »
Of course, you can work with the player to change, if they will. But if you need to escalate the situation, OOC ban is not the right way. Report to the Titans via SMA report. Titans can force deport, Magistrates cannot.

Oh, that's what is meant by deport? I took it as ban/arrest/deport. Ok then, my bad.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 02, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
Waaay back at the beginning of the FEI, many realms had an official policy along the lines of "You must roleplay within a certain (reasonable) time after you arrive, or you will be OOC banned." This was seen as normal and appropriate at the time.

Times change. The OOC ban is no longer a particularly effective tool for...well, much of anything, and the FEI has long since lost its official "RP Island" descriptor.

I don't remember how long ago Ethiala was born or died, but my guess would be they were taking their cue from that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 02, 2013, 03:06:18 PM »
If they're quoting SMA, this had to be late 2008, or later.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 02, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
If they're quoting SMA, this had to be late 2008, or later.

Dwilight opened early 2008. Alanna arrived there on 11 January, and turns started running a few days to a week later.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 02, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
Ok, then early 2008. But still, that sets the period when SMA started.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 02, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »
On Dwi, the ruler was expected to enforce SMA... the OOC ban is the only tool a ruler has. If it was desired that he be banned, then we'd have said it was the judge's job, not the ruler's. I believe OOC bans were given on multiple occasions for players who refused to change their inappropriate names. On Dwi, however.

Nobody has the right to make up OOC rules, so whether it was fine or not on Dwi, certainly wouldn't have been on FEI.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #13: February 02, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »
It is appropriate to fine/IC ban/etc someone whose IC actions are unacceptable. Simply make an IC rule about showing deference or using appropriate address or whatever.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 12, 2013, 06:47:55 AM »
... someone could just update the wiki... especially the titan bit. (heck.. i ooc banned someone with a all caps name back then... when he tried to run to a different realm when told to change name.)
firefox