Author Topic: Q: Relating to creating Duchies.  (Read 3593 times)

Woelfy

• Mighty Duke
  • I'm baaaaack
    • View Profile
Q: Relating to creating Duchies.
« Topic Start: January 26, 2013, 10:06:51 PM »
Okay. Conundrum.

Say, a kingdom with a stronghold, a city, and a townsland currently has two duchies. One based in the stronghold, one based in the city.

My question is: can this kingdom have 4 duchies under the new system?

I imagine creating a duchy for the Townsland and then requesting that individual to step down so that the Ducal Seat could be transferred elsewhere might be considered bad form, but I don't know the ins and outs to these particular matters. The margrave of the Townsland would be recompensed of course, but still, curious as to if there is some rule against me doing something like that.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Q: Relating to creating Duchies.
« Reply #1: January 26, 2013, 10:23:48 PM »
It would be bad form to ask someone to step down.

You can still incite him to accept another lordship with this in mind, to practically the same effect, but I'd avoid asking people to step down to shuffle them around just to create duchies if I were you.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 26, 2013, 11:20:38 PM »
There is no such thing as a "ducal seat". Any city, townsland, or stronghold who's lord is not already a duke, can be made into a new duchy by the ruler, with the lord of that region becoming a duke.

You can have an unlimited number of duchies in your realm. Every noble could be a duke. You can have extra, empty duchies left over without dukes.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #3: January 27, 2013, 12:13:15 AM »
You can have an unlimited number of duchies in your realm. Every noble could be a duke. You can have extra, empty duchies left over without dukes.

Can you delete duchies in that case?
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 27, 2013, 12:14:09 AM »
Yes though the term is not delete IG.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: January 27, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »
There is no such thing as a "ducal seat". Any city, townsland, or stronghold who's lord is not already a duke, can be made into a new duchy by the ruler, with the lord of that region becoming a duke.

Whats the point of requiring the starting region to be a city, townsland, or stronghold?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 27, 2013, 03:04:55 AM »
Duchies that have no regions in them can be disbanded, even if they still have a duke.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 27, 2013, 03:05:13 AM »
Whats the point of requiring the starting region to be a city, townsland, or stronghold?
There had to be some criteria, and this is what Tom chose.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: January 27, 2013, 05:35:25 AM »
There had to be some criteria, and this is what Tom chose.
Perhaps I should ask Tom then.
― G.K. Chesterton

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: January 27, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
It would be bad form to ask someone to step down.

I don't think it's such bad form. You have a limited number of cities to go around, but asking someone to give up his city is hard as people want to keep them.

Asking someone to exchange their Margrave title for a Duke title, however, can still be seen as a promotion.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

egamma

« Reply #10: January 30, 2013, 04:33:27 AM »
I imagine creating a duchy for the Townsland and then requesting that individual to step down so that the Ducal Seat could be transferred elsewhere might be considered bad form, but I don't know the ins and outs to these particular matters. The margrave of the Townsland would be recompensed of course, but still, curious as to if there is some rule against me doing something like that.

Also, you don't actually know that the margrave will step down until after you appoint him. He could trick you.