Author Topic: Year Zero (Colonies reset) rumor is just that  (Read 8609 times)

egamma

Year Zero (Colonies reset) rumor is just that
« Topic Start: February 05, 2013, 07:13:01 PM »
People keep mentioning this, but Tom hasn't said a thing about it.

I'm tired of unsubstantiated rumors. If you have no evidence, don't state something as fact.

That said, if Tom wants to chime in, I'm all ears.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Year Zero (Colonies reset) rumor is just that
« Reply #1: February 05, 2013, 07:15:13 PM »
That said, if Tom wants to chime in, I'm all ears.

This is the first time I've heard about it.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 05, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
Wait, what are these rumours?

Now I want to know what ridiculous tall tales people are spreading! Share, share! ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 06, 2013, 02:49:09 AM »
Wait, what are these rumours?

Now I want to know what ridiculous tall tales people are spreading! Share, share! ;D
I understand what Egamma posting about. There has been rumor that if one realm control the whole island or drive all regions that they cannot control rogues, then this will bring some sort of end of the world or beginning of the world to Colonies island. But with so many players-driven events happening currently, I could not see such a reset thing happen at all.

Some players talking about players-driven reset the island. It is good in essence that some have good intention for Colonies island want attract new players here.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 06, 2013, 03:01:48 AM »
I thought Year Zero was the name feyeleanor had given to the Imperial efforts taking place, if they were to be successful.  I do not recall people saying Tom was going to reset anything...althought I do remember someone saying they wanted to ASK him to reset the Colonies...  I have also had players ask me to direct Lukon to wipe out every realm so that Tom would reset the Colonies.

But instead, I am going to do it my way... and force every city into an independent state bound by treaties designed to better warfare and noble rights (including infiltrators).

Hmm I think I did refer to that as a player driven reset somewhere at some point.  *shrug* its guna happen!  You Colonist get used to the idea  ;)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: February 06, 2013, 05:44:10 AM »
I'm all for a player-driven effort, and if you need a small code change or feature to make it reality, I'd be more than willing to put that on the TODO list.

But there will not be a developer-caused reset of any kind. The South Islands were the only exceptions the game has ever had, in over 12 years.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #6: February 06, 2013, 07:08:25 AM »
Just so everyone is aware, Year Zero is a ARG that is used by NIN to promote their stuff. <.< So this is really confusing...

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 07, 2013, 08:41:47 PM »
I'm all for a player-driven effort, and if you need a small code change or feature to make it reality, I'd be more than willing to put that on the TODO list

I believe everything can be handled with the current options.  The Senate can be set up using a guild system, laws can be created using diplomatic treaties, and best of all it will be extremely unstable and chaotic leading to big chances for people to exploit it and create good times.

The only part that would be difficult is giving infiltrators the ability to purchase a ban that is on them... but even that can be arranged with a trip to the capitol of the realm they are banned from I think (if gold transfers like that still work).

The only other thing that I am going to push for is that everyone be required to set a goal when they start a war.  No more of this going to war until you are dead stuff.  Instead you go to war until honor is fulfilled, apologies made, daughters rescued, land taken etc.

I think I read about something being developed along those lines some time ago.

egamma

« Reply #8: February 08, 2013, 11:58:07 PM »
Okay, I looked closely at the threads here, and couldn't really find a good reference to an OOC reset. Apparently, those comments were only made IG (OOC) in Oritolon. I'll post a link to this thread and call it good.

...and after searching messages, there was only one, and that could have gone either way between IC and GM reset. Ah well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:00:53 AM by egamma »

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 11, 2013, 12:53:40 AM »
Thank you for helping to keep us all honest egamma. 

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 12, 2013, 06:48:35 AM »
Not necessary, but would be a cool future feature to set a reparation amount with a ban.  That way you wouldn't need to travel anywhere to pay it, or have the blessing of anyone other than who issued the ban.  Would it go to the judge, or ruler though?

egamma

« Reply #11: February 12, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »
Not necessary, but would be a cool future feature to set a reparation amount with a ban.  That way you wouldn't need to travel anywhere to pay it, or have the blessing of anyone other than who issued the ban.  Would it go to the judge, or ruler though?

The Judge would just fine you instead. It's effects are similar to that of a ban.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 12, 2013, 10:01:10 PM »
Hmm... The idea I had was that a ban is issued and that ban is in effect until the infiltrator pays the price.  If captured again without the price being paid...well...off with his head.  Once the price is paid, the ban would be lifted.

While game mechanics would be neat... this can be done without them.  Without them we also have the potential for drama and excitement when the zealous steals the money and does not lift the ban... Drawing the two nations into war.
---
what would be a cool thing IMO... but can also still be done in game currently I suppose, is a tribute payment.  If/when Lukon brings the Colonies down to city states and they unite under the treaties to prevent realm destruction... tribute payments from one realm to another may become common practice.  Say, we end the war for 1000 gold paid over 3 months.

egamma

« Reply #13: February 15, 2013, 01:41:27 AM »
A island-wide guild system would work for both tribute and lifting bans. It gets complicated, of course, with balancing max debt and all that.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 15, 2013, 04:44:18 AM »
Oh good point!  I guess if one member of each realm (say banker) is given a rank that has a very high limit... and all realm tribute to keep the guild running month to month comes thru the banker then it would give them a large enough balance.

Ya could get real complicated... but *shrug* thats half the fun I guess.  well... 1/8th the fun lets say.