Author Topic: Banned for being inactive for 5 Days  (Read 27026 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Banned for being inactive for 5 Days
« Reply #45: February 06, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »
The problem with revoking the estates is that there is nothing to prevent them from snatching the estate right back up

Nothing game-mechanical.

Here's how you do it:
  • The lord of the region sends them a letter saying he is going to have their estates revoked and they need to get his explicit "ok" to take them back.
  • Revoke the estate
  • If they retake it, ban them for not following an explicit order
And by their act of having taking the estate, they have proven that they are active in an OOC sense.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: February 06, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »
What Dracos is saying is that should the guy not have been a spy to begin with, taking punitive action against him considerably increases the odds that he then becomes one out of spite.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #47: February 08, 2013, 05:28:10 AM »
Tom,
Can you look in the database for the banned characters, to see if they have sent any letters in the past 30 days (prior to the ban)?

I think this is the simplest solution. If your character doesn't send a single letter in a month, then you're not playing a game with friends.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: February 08, 2013, 05:29:51 AM »
...which means half the characters in the game should get banned.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

skiarxon@gmail.com

« Reply #49: February 08, 2013, 08:44:29 AM »
Why are we even discussing this for so many days? The guy who made the report didn't even bother to reply to anything or provide any proof.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: February 08, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
Why are we even discussing this for so many days? The guy who made the report didn't even bother to reply to anything or provide any proof.

Activity on the forum should not be a factor in the magistrates' decision either.

They can only work with what they have, of course. In this case, the relevant in-game messages seem to have been provided.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #51: February 08, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »

+1

Activity on the forum should not be a factor in the magistrates' decision either.

It should. If someone doesn't back his case, and the case is not slam-dunk out of itself, then it should be dropped. Why? Because it can't be all that important.

Lavigna

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: February 08, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
for the sake of mentioning it the day he reported me he also sent me an ooc rage msg for the ban  and i encouraged him to back his case on the forum. he never answered no there or here.
Suck my socks! I kill for Darka! -KK-

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: February 08, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »
+1

It should. If someone doesn't back his case, and the case is not slam-dunk out of itself, then it should be dropped. Why? Because it can't be all that important.

Tom, your first reply, sent 13 minutes after the case was posted, was that this was a slam-dunk case.

I'm not saying the magistrates shouldn't render a decision. They have material to base themselves on, and of course they can't base themselves on material they don't have. Is it really worthwhile to pressure them more?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #54: February 08, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »
Tom, your first reply, sent 13 minutes after the case was posted, was that this was a slam-dunk case.

No, I said that banning someone for being inactive is a slam-dunk case. Whether or not that is what happened here still needs to be sorted out.

Basically, I was saying that murder is illegal, not that O.J. is guilty.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: February 08, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
Basically, I was saying that murder is illegal, not that O.J. is guilty.

I am totally using this line.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: February 08, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »
The Magistrates have a poll running. It'll be done soon-ish.

And by soon-ish, I meant right now.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: February 08, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
A verdict has been reached, and no IG enforcement actions were necessary. For anyone who desires to cite this case in the future, the final verdict was:

"The Magistrates find Evi Dimi not guilty of violating the Inalienable Rights. From all appearances, the bans were intended to punish characters for their decisions: namely, their decision to remain in a realm for hundreds of days and repeatedly ignore or disobey orders. While few days of inactivity never merits a ban, prolonged months of insufficient responses to reasonable queries, disobedience of orders, and general uselessness to a realm is certainly sufficient grounds for an entirely IC, non-IR-violating ban. A player's right to inactivity is protected, and its negative effects are controlled for by auto-pausing. But a character's right to blasé disregard for orders is not protected.

Magistrates voted 6-0 in favor of the not guilty verdict."

This thread will remain open for questions for a brief period.

"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: February 09, 2013, 05:43:02 AM »
Not a question, but a statement:

We had the same problem with one of those players (who just auto-paused before I got the chance to become Judge) in Outer Tilog, along with a number of others who I did ban for this very reason. I think there is more going on behind the scenes with these guys than simply sitting on gold. In OT we have elections for positions and, almost without fail, when one of them ran they won by a heavy margin without actively campaigning and those who became lords they flocked to and took estates in their regions. In another case one was banned for months, sat as a rogue, and the same day their elected Judge lifted the ban he rejoined the realm. It might be a very good idea to check out these guys and make sure there isn't something more going on than simply sitting around doing nothing.

egamma

« Reply #59: February 09, 2013, 07:17:57 AM »
Not a question, but a statement:

We had the same problem with one of those players (who just auto-paused before I got the chance to become Judge) in Outer Tilog, along with a number of others who I did ban for this very reason. I think there is more going on behind the scenes with these guys than simply sitting on gold. In OT we have elections for positions and, almost without fail, when one of them ran they won by a heavy margin without actively campaigning and those who became lords they flocked to and took estates in their regions. In another case one was banned for months, sat as a rogue, and the same day their elected Judge lifted the ban he rejoined the realm. It might be a very good idea to check out these guys and make sure there isn't something more going on than simply sitting around doing nothing.

That's basically an accusation of multi-cheating. Magistrates are not equipped to handle the needed investigation. I suggest you gather up family names and use the old titan reporting system, or send an email to Tom.