Author Topic: Forced Realm Splits and Voluntary Realm Mergers  (Read 32086 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Forced Realm Splits and Voluntary Realm Mergers
« Reply #75: February 08, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »
6-9 months does not make for much player turnover in current BM. You probably won't get any to be honest, at least not where it matters and those being the positions of power. You're all ignoring that it is the oldest and most trustworthy characters running this entire thing. If they say they'll re-unite when the term is over then that's what will happen.

That depends on the realm. I have certainly been witness to some dramatic shifts of this nature on other islands, though I will grant you that Atamara has a particularly stodgy base of long-time characters in power who need to retire or die off already.

Personally I would also lay odds on them reuniting, but if they do it as quickly as you're suggesting I'd lay equal odds on some serious consequences.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: February 08, 2013, 10:33:28 PM »
Actually, Eston's cleaning house.

Lots of Eston's players had pretty intense OOC commitments to Eston's IC success and OOC dislike of CE. Many have gone to Darka or quit BM altogether. Some, like Kerwin and Athena, are removed by treaty. Others, like Arturius and co, have already seceded.

Eston could see a 100% fresh council in the next week or two.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: February 08, 2013, 10:51:14 PM »
Many have gone to Darka or quit BM altogether.

This is extremely unfortunate. Anyone in contact with, or even proximity to, someone who fits that description should talk them back from the ledge.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #78: February 08, 2013, 11:08:38 PM »
Definately agree with Solari. :/

While I understand attachments, they should focus on regaining what was lost.  And make CE pay down the road.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: February 09, 2013, 02:32:58 AM »
Definately agree with Solari. :/

While I understand attachments, they should focus on regaining what was lost.  And make CE pay down the road.

The problem is that unless we have a game changer -- something that radically changes the situation -- you're talking a road that is years in length with a strong CE still standing at the end.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: February 09, 2013, 02:55:15 AM »
The problem is that unless we have a game changer -- something that radically changes the situation -- you're talking a road that is years in length with a strong CE still standing at the end.
And they also just lost years of work. Thats one hard thing with retention, characters actions can wreck the game for players. Sadly I know of a player who ended up quitting due to something another character did that wrecked 2 RL years of work. He said he wasn't angry at the player or anything but that it nonetheless wrecked it for him.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #81: February 09, 2013, 03:04:19 AM »
Unfortunately I can understand how that goes.  At least here you have a better chance of standing on your own two feet and defend what you've worked for.  Other games I've played...  Not so much.  Favor the hyperactive.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: February 09, 2013, 07:00:44 PM »
This is extremely unfortunate. Anyone in contact with, or even proximity to, someone who fits that description should talk them back from the ledge.

No, Eston needs to burn.

You all seriously have no idea how toxic the OOC environment among the old-guard of Eston was. It was a realm with literally zero IC/OOC separation.

Hence why about 1/4 of the realm had a second character in Eston... and many had no characters anywhere else. Eston was its own BM world entire. Which was kinda cute... except it was a BM world where the same players maintained an OOC set of friendships to maintain control going back for about 3 years or more.

How many other realms do you know where a monarch who ruled 3 or 4 RL years ago is still cited as "our previous king" or as a relevant and immediate example?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

egamma

« Reply #83: February 09, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »
Hence why about 1/4 of the realm had a second character in Eston... and many had no characters anywhere else. Eston was its own BM world entire. Which was kinda cute... except it was a BM world where the same players maintained an OOC set of friendships to maintain control going back for about 3 years or more.

How many other realms do you know where a monarch who ruled 3 or 4 RL years ago is still cited as "our previous king" or as a relevant and immediate example?

Sounds like Lukon.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: February 10, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »

Arcaea.  I am sure any number of EC realms.  I think a number of AT realms could say the same.  Long-standing Rulers make that sort of thing not-uncommon.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: February 10, 2013, 04:37:58 AM »
Arcaea.  I am sure any number of EC realms.  I think a number of AT realms could say the same.  Long-standing Rulers make that sort of thing not-uncommon.

Sorry– I mean a situation where there were actually like 3, 4, or 5 kings in between. And they still see that previous king as the legitimate one. Why? Because they have strong OOC attachments.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: February 10, 2013, 04:39:03 AM »
Sounds like Lukon.

From what I hear, yes.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #87: February 10, 2013, 05:25:40 AM »
Sorry– I mean a situation where there were actually like 3, 4, or 5 kings in between. And they still see that previous king as the legitimate one. Why? Because they have strong OOC attachments.
Honestly, I could easily see something like this happening in an elective monarchy depending how that monarch was removed.  If the ruler did not willingly abdicate, there will always be a faction that sees them them as the legitimate ruler and all others as false.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: February 10, 2013, 11:08:32 PM »
Okay you're not getting what I'm saying.

A situation where literally it's been multiple RL years, multiple different kings by multiple players. Whenever a player becomes king, he drops his previous council position, shifting it to his other character. Same with duchies. Cycle'em through. And a player from years ago no longer present is regarded as the only real predecessor– everybody in between is a placeholder. When a character shows up from an old player unpausing or whatever, other players rally round to name him king based on his hereditary claim: which makes IC sense, yes. But is OOCly extremely damaging for the game.

It's not an IC legtimacy thing ultimately. It's a, "Was this player friends with that one dude who played a king character a long time ago? No? Well, no need to give him any positions!"

I think Kerwin became king by a fluke– hence why the etsablishment, like Athena and Arturius, quite disliked him. And Cyrilos only got any power because of Kerwin.

But now CE has effectively broken up Eston's power clique. Which is a very good thing.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: February 11, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »
Vellos is right, and he isn't exaggerating.

This treaty is probably the best thing that has happened to the Eston-part of the Atamara map in many years, in terms of Gameplay, etc. The old, stagnant culture and power hierarchy has been completely broken in Eston proper, while in the mean time there are now 3 realms in the area who can all claim some sort of legitimacy to the "Eston" legacy.

Rieleston: seceded "technically" because they thought King Kerwin has driven Eston down a course no longer in longer in line with its ideals, claim to be the true spiritual successor to "King Andrew." Possesses several characters who strongly represent Eston's old guard. It's Prime Minister is the "long lost son" (same player) as a previous Eston King, and it's main Duke (the one who seceded) has been Duke of Barad Lacirith and King of Eston in the past.

Eston: obviously the remnants of the old Kingdom and has claim to the political legacy of Eston, however has had its house almost entirely cleaned. The old guard is gone. New Judge, New Banker, New General (all who have previously not held significant positions) and soon a new Monarch, who will likely also be brand new to the "big stage."

Lyonesse: forcefully separated from Eston, already talk of reunification, a brand new realm with potential for new culture/identity. Ruler/Duke was close friend of Kerwin, Hawthorne was strongly pro-Kerwin/Monarchy during the Rieleston secession.

It is an extremely interesting situation and has a lot of potential for some cool things to happen.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)