Author Topic: Vulgar?  (Read 31702 times)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: Vulgar?
« Reply #105: March 10, 2013, 04:46:04 AM »
On what information do you base this conclusion? How many messages per week are reported for vulgarity? How many are judged vulgar, and how many are not? How many are improperly flagged either way?
On every post about the subject.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #106: March 10, 2013, 05:03:47 AM »
If it was observed that a noble, even a knight, permitted his captain to speak in that manner without reproach, that would indeed be considered vulgar by some.

Probably fewer than ordinary since nobles would make exceptions for anything that happened on a battlefield.

The vulgarity system works quite well. What seems to have difficulty coming across is that vulgarity is still perfectly OK so long as you don't mind being considered slightly less honorable than someone who is less vulgar than you. It's being viewed as some kind of huge black mark where all it is is that people think less of you for a short while because you said something they look down on.

Welcome to nobility and gossip.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107: March 10, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
On every post about the subject.
Which means you've read every complaint where someone feels they were somehow wronged by the system. But you've never read all the instances where messages were reported but voted not vulgar. Or where the the message was reported as vulgar and then judged vulgar, but the sender didn't complain because they agreed with it.

In short, you've only seen complaints about the system. That's a pretty biased source of information on which to claim that a system doesn't work.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #108: March 10, 2013, 05:37:13 PM »
I didn't say it doesn't work, I said it needs to be revamped, refined, etc. 

I've never had to use the feature, so I've not clicked the buttons to see what it says though.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #109: March 10, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
But, again, how do you know it needs revised? All you can see is that once every 3 or 4 months, someone comes on the forum and complains. But in the meantime, how many reports go through that are correctly judged and no one complains? I can tell you that for evry report that you hear about here on the forums, there are dozens that are handled without anyone complaining. Dozens handled with no complaint vs. one complaint on a questionable message? Sounds to me like the system is working pretty darn well. Considering the tiny penalty (one point of honor?), and the fact that no one ever knows that you got hit unless you tell them, the rare improper hit is hardly justification for completely revamping the system.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #110: March 10, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »
The mere fact that there are people confused of it is IC or OOC says something is wrong with the wording.
It is sad that you do not grasp that.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #111: March 10, 2013, 08:06:41 PM »
The wording of the page may need some changes, therefore the system needs "a real revamp"...

If you think it needs changed, then suggest the changes.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #112: March 10, 2013, 08:13:19 PM »
The wording of the page may need some changes, therefore the system needs "a real revamp"...

If you think it needs changed, then suggest the changes.
A notice that a roleplay having some vulgarity is fine if the noble is in private and that its IC not OOC.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #113: March 11, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »
I wasn't aware that people would flag RPs as vulgar. Apparently if a peasant curses while talking to a lord in a private conversation it becomes public knowledge and everyone disapproves. I suppose I should censor myself from now on.

Etiquette Issue   (2 hours, 24 minutes ago)
One of your recent messages, reproduced below, has caused many raised eyebrows among your peers and fellow nobles agree that this way of talking is unbefitting of a noble. Your respect among the nobility falls, resulting in a loss of a point of honour.

The Message:
"Tankred! You're walking?" Enoch sputtered as he trekked toward the Divides. Tankred had miraculously recovered quickly and now seemed fit enough to draw a bow.

Tankred talked weakly, lacking his normal bolsterous tone. "Aye, being carried on a litter by scribes...it'd wake the dead. Those small armed ninnies jostled me like churned butter, and that old healer did nothing sew me up and drug me higher. What happened back there?".

"All our men are dead...most of others squads are probably the same. Too many beasts, not enough arrows. We are trekking toward Balance's Retreat to hire fresh men and then back toward Nyuushi. From there we'll either work with D'Hara to return it to Swordfell, or more likely we'll meet it in anarchy and have to try to occupy the region again. Our home in Nyuushi seems to have been a bust for now."

Tankred continued to hobble along...all he muttered was "!@#$ the ungrateful lot of 'em". Enoch understood his captain's frustration, but hoped some of his humor returned by the time they returned. They continued in silence.

This is why it's important to view vulgarity, as an IC, not OOC feature.

If it's an OOC feature, that's fine to report as vulgarity– it has the F-word, we want to keep the GAME clean from OOC vulgarity.

But if it's an IC feature, then reporting an RP your character isn't aware of, or reporting an RP about peasants' language, doesn't make sense.

+1 for team "Vulgarity is IC"
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #114: March 12, 2013, 01:55:38 AM »
Team OOC loses by default, the ref said so.

Vulgarity is an IC element, as should be obvious by the fact that it uses IC flavour texts. It talks to you as a noble, not as a player. It's purpose is to encourage players to proper roleplaying through IC consequences if they don't (i.e. talk like a common peasant).
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)