Author Topic: Vulgar?  (Read 31217 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Vulgar?
« Topic Start: February 08, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »
I'd like some opinions of GD, because apparently a recent message of mine was judged vulgar and people agreed. I can't even think of what could possibly be deemed vulgar in this message.

-----
Etiquette Issue   (just in)
One of your recent messages, reproduced below, has caused many raised eyebrows among your peers and fellow nobles agree that this way of talking is unbefitting of a noble. Your respect among the nobility falls, resulting in a loss of a point of honour.

The Message:

Quite the gathering of nobility we have here. I've never seen so many soldiers gathered together.

Perhaps some of the Darkans here can help me and my friends end a little dispute we've been having. We're trying to decide why Darkans are so good at and so ravenous about fighting battles. We've come up with a few ideas:

1. Darka's women are so ugly, that your soldiers have to fight their way to foreign lands in order to find a lay that they can be with while sober.

2. Darka's women are so viscous, that Darkans have to rape their own women in order to reproduce and so they don't know how to do anything else while abroad.

3. Darka doesn't actually have any women, and this volcano which you speak of is really just a boy hug fest, so your entire realm joins the army so that hopefully they can rather die than return home to that misery.

Any chance I'm close?

Eragon Silverfire
Knight of Barad Falas
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Vulgar?
« Reply #1: February 08, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »
I can see how quite a few people would consider that offensive. That's probably the criteria they are using.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 08, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »
Of course it is offensive. But, since when was offensive "vulgar, and unfitting of a noble"
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 08, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »
I don't see how it's offensive or vulgar. Remember, that feature exists to report things which are offensive or vulgar OOC. Insults delivered IC that are lacking in expletives, racist epithets, sexist languages, or other hate speech should probably not be reported.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 08, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »
I don't see how it's offensive or vulgar. Remember, that feature exists to report things which are offensive or vulgar OOC. Insults delivered IC that are lacking in expletives, racist epithets, sexist languages, or other hate speech should probably not be reported.

That's what I thought. For some reason I think someone reported this message, simply to have more people read it, and it got actually called bad.

lol

Pike

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 09, 2013, 12:01:38 AM »
I don't see anything vulgar in there.  I have seen about the same before during the war of Morek vs Sumerdale.  Then there is all of the insults in Swordfell.  Nothing overly bad as far as I can tell either.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 09, 2013, 12:40:19 AM »
vul·gar 
/ˈvəlgər/
Adjective
Lacking sophistication or good taste; unrefined: "the vulgar trappings of wealth".
Making explicit and offensive reference to sex or bodily functions; coarse and rude: "a vulgar joke".

You made several lowbrow jokes, which made reference to sex and were intended to offend. So, in every sense of the word, it was a vulgar message.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 09, 2013, 02:26:56 AM »
You made several lowbrow jokes, which made reference to sex and were intended to offend. So, in every sense of the word, it was a vulgar message.

Let's not be pedantic about this. There are dozens—at least—of messages exchanged each day that meet that criteria. That is not the commonly understood definition of vulgar in the western world. If you have a better and more inclusive suggestion for that particular label, please do share.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 09, 2013, 02:35:32 AM »
Darka's women are so viscous

This was probably it. No woman likes being told she has a thick and sticky consistency.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 09, 2013, 02:38:15 AM »
Nobles offended enemy nobles. Also it was not explicit in any way, and the "and" in "explicit and offensive reference" is key.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #10: February 09, 2013, 02:39:57 AM »
This was probably it. No woman likes being told she has a thick and sticky consistency.
This made me snicker.

The vulgar message thing is yet another function that needs a more direct explanation of its purpose.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 09, 2013, 02:40:29 AM »
I will be sending a message to Tom in just a moment because the needs to be cleared up. I am sure Anaris said or agreed to vulgarity being IC and its been talked about before so it needs clarification by Tom and IMO, an announcement made for it too.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #12: February 09, 2013, 02:58:56 AM »
I believe vulgarity being an IC thing is a mistake, because that opens it up to all kinds of IC interpretations that will depend on the character, rather than an objective look at whether it was vulgar or not.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 09, 2013, 03:00:56 AM »
I believe vulgarity being an IC thing is a mistake, because that opens it up to all kinds of IC interpretations that will depend on the character, rather than an objective look at whether it was vulgar or not.
I agree but nonetheless, I want official clarification by Tom.
― G.K. Chesterton

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 09, 2013, 03:06:36 AM »
Let's not be pedantic about this. There are dozens—at least—of messages exchanged each day that meet that criteria. That is not the commonly understood definition of vulgar in the western world. If you have a better and more inclusive suggestion for that particular label, please do share.

I can't believe that there are dozens of such messages exchanged daily. I've yet to see any, other than the one being discussed, and I've been playing for a year now. Even if this message were common, one would have to wonder what earned this case a distinction from the rest.

In the Western world, 'vulgar' is an uncommon term and isn't well understood at all. When you hear the term, which is on rare occasion, it's usually being associated with upper class Victorian society. A hapless child, in a period piece, will utter a dirty word in front of his strict parents, eliciting from them a sharp punishment accompanying a comment about 'vulgar children these days'.