Author Topic: Sea Routes = is the World Round or Flat?  (Read 5186 times)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Sea Routes = is the World Round or Flat?
« Topic Start: February 10, 2013, 09:40:52 AM »
I've never used the sea routes before (I can't swim  ;)) but a question occurred to me: If I got on a boat in Flowrestown and went east would I end up in Echiur? If I got on a boat in Madina and went south would I end up in Valkyrja?

Is the world flat or round?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: Sea Routes = is the World Round or Flat?
« Reply #1: February 10, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
ICly?  Eventually.  However there would be many miles if sea and other continents in the way.  I view the ships used for travel at each continent as galleys, ships made for shallow water and quite unsuited for travel in deep water. 
So chances are your galley would flounder in a storm and you would be lost at sea.  Tue boats that are used for immigration would likely be merchant ships.  Pre-galleon most likely.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 10, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
The world round? Blasphemous.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 10, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »
Don't be silly. If you got on a boat in Flowrestown and went east, you'd end up in Talerium.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 10, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
Don't be silly. If you got on a boat in Flowrestown and went east, you'd end up in Talerium.

Astroism vs CE? Yes please.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 10, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
Incidentally, apropos of the other thread on land area, I have come to the conclusion that the "continents" we all know are actually relatively small islands strung along the equator of the planet—and the planet is currently in the middle of an Ice Age.

This makes perfect sense out of how we can have all these islands with almost exclusively east-west directions defined between them.

Also, it suggests that the South Islands (War Islands) didn't sink so much as they fell victim to advancing glaciers.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 10, 2013, 08:38:22 PM »
Incidentally, apropos of the other thread on land area, I have come to the conclusion that the "continents" we all know are actually relatively small islands strung along the equator of the planet—and the planet is currently in the middle of an Ice Age.

This makes perfect sense out of how we can have all these islands with almost exclusively east-west directions defined between them.

Also, it suggests that the South Islands (War Islands) didn't sink so much as they fell victim to advancing glaciers.

That is an awesome way of imagining the BM planet.
Since the land area thread is a bit hidden: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3782.0.html
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 11, 2013, 03:27:24 AM »

No I meant literally. Are the corners and edges of the map literal ends, or do they circle around?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 11, 2013, 03:33:52 AM »
No I meant literally. Are the corners and edges of the map literal ends, or do they circle around?

It's a globe. Not because of any particular game-mechanic or official Word of God definition. It just is.
Timothy Collett

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 11, 2013, 04:41:01 AM »
Are you talking game-mechanics-wise, or just philosophically? Your character cannot get in a boat in Flowrestown and sail east. You can only sail in predefined sea zones., to adjacent sea zones. The Forgotten Coast does not connect to Chenier's Coast. You can only go north to the Seeker's Coast, or south to the White Coast. If you want to get to Echiur by sea, it's a LOOOONG journey circling around the entire island to the north or south. It would probably take you almost two weeks.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #10: February 11, 2013, 05:01:44 AM »
he's talking philosophically...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 11, 2013, 05:03:00 AM »
That's what I figured, but I couldn't really tell there.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 11, 2013, 06:06:45 AM »
Are you talking game-mechanics-wise, or just philosophically? Your character cannot get in a boat in Flowrestown and sail east. You can only sail in predefined sea zones., to adjacent sea zones. The Forgotten Coast does not connect to Chenier's Coast. You can only go north to the Seeker's Coast, or south to the White Coast. If you want to get to Echiur by sea, it's a LOOOONG journey circling around the entire island to the north or south. It would probably take you almost two weeks.

Nope, I meant it literally. This is exactly what I was asking.

Thanks Indirik!

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: February 11, 2013, 08:16:10 AM »
Nope, I meant it literally. This is exactly what I was asking.

Thanks Indirik!
These are continents not worlds. Simply put its not allowed because your men aren't like, let's take a voyage years long/!@#$ty ships that can't do that where we could just sail around the island.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 11, 2013, 01:05:40 PM »
These are continents not worlds. Simply put its not allowed because your men aren't like, let's take a voyage years long/!@#$ty ships that can't do that where we could just sail around the island.

Indeed. One has to imagine that if you sailed past the side of a map, you would end up on the opposite side... of another continent's map, not of your own.

As Anaris said, the planet only makes sense if you consider that they are somewhat linearly aligned, and that the ocean east of the Far East island is either too large (and without useful sea or wind currents) or too dangerous (due to icebergs) to be navigated, hence why all new continents to be colonized have been west of the last, and the first settlements on their eastern portions (for BT and Dwi, at least).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron