Author Topic: Why Do You Play?  (Read 16679 times)

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Why Do You Play?
« Topic Start: February 10, 2013, 09:43:25 AM »
Another question I was wondering was why do you play BattleMaster? When I first started I heard about guys who've been playing since the beginning. That was five years ago almost which means if those guys are still around they've been playing for more than a decade. Why?

What do you get out of BattleMaster? What do you put into it?

Why do you play?
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do You Play?
« Reply #1: February 10, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
Because there are damn few games where you can rewrite how the entire game world works in a freeform way, despite your character not being intrinsically more powerful than any other.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 10, 2013, 08:29:25 PM »
Hi, I am online game addict.

Thats why i still play Battlemaster.
~Violence is always an option!~

Ironsides

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 11, 2013, 03:23:57 AM »

So what do you guys put into the game? In addition to time, that is.
Ironsides Family, mainly East Continent and Dwilight. I dip my toe into Atamara here and there

Pike

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 11, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »
It is fun to play the role of a character.  Though I will admit only Dwilight has been the most fun. 

The roleplays I think are the most enjoyable or a good argument!!

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 11, 2013, 05:33:37 AM »
I am not an old timer but have played off and on since 2004. I play because it is the best crafted PvP game I have ever run across. I like that it is light weight, even when played fully. I love the low-fantasy medieval setting. I do my best to plane fun characters into the worlds and try to play them faithfully to their personality. I try to provide an interesting story where possible.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 11, 2013, 06:31:54 AM »
I try, at least, to put in characters that think like they are people.  People who see the world not as game-mechanically limited realms, but a warring mess that needs to be unified by pen or blade.  People who see every new event and ask "what does our faith tell us to do now?".  People who are honourable, but occasionally break their honour at great need.  People who always play the angles who every so often make the one right choice that will ruin them forever.  People who flinch away from the great chance...And people who seize it with both hands.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 11, 2013, 08:13:25 AM »
I try, at least, to put in characters that think like they are people.  People who see the world not as game-mechanically limited realms, but a warring mess that needs to be unified by pen or blade.  People who see every new event and ask "what does our faith tell us to do now?".  People who are honourable, but occasionally break their honour at great need.  People who always play the angles who every so often make the one right choice that will ruin them forever.  People who flinch away from the great chance...And people who seize it with both hands.
Aka, perfect roleplayer.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 11, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Oh, I try to win the Game ofcourse!  ::)
~Violence is always an option!~

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: February 11, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
Oh, I try to win the Game ofcourse!  ::)

I've been trying to do that for 12 years now. And more and more I think Joshua was right.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 11, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »
Seeing as how I began to play this game when I was barely thirteen and my 10th BM-anniversary is coming up, I consider BM a part of my daily routine. I don't think I would've stuck around this long without the IRC though.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Kai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 11, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
i honestly have no idea since the game and playerbase is becoming less fun by the day

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 11, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »

I've been trying to do that for 12 years now. And more and more I think Joshua was right.

For those who don't get it, the referent (last line above "Taglines").

And personally, I play because I love the community, working on the code is fun, and I've created these characters who just won't let me leave them alone now. ;D

Plus, there are so many fascinating scenarios to see play out. I love seeing the results of all the complex interactions of people in this microcosm of society. Sometimes it can be depressing, other times exhilarating, and sometimes you see something new and different, and it's just plain cool.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #13: February 11, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
I play to have !!fun!!.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 11, 2013, 10:47:54 PM »
At the beginning i was skeptic, i wanted a browser game to play while reneging MP(magic) while playing Lieneage 2, looking for easy alt+tab games i found BM.

I noticed that i can open my mind to a new world with just couple of minutes, the character interaction, the team play, deep strategy, the drama, etc. years have passed and i left behind all online games i used to play, but BM is still my #1 game.

Many people have wondered these year what is this black screen with green, red, blue background text. Is hard to explain i just tell them is just a forum or just a message board, because they wont understand what i see here.

A open world where you can be as you like, have friends, have foes, and when you are in a realm with great RPs people, is even better.
↑This is why i Play!