Author Topic: Inappropriate Naming?  (Read 3552 times)

Eirikr

Inappropriate Naming?
« Topic Start: February 15, 2013, 07:08:51 AM »
I feel like I've seen the answer to this before, but I can't seem to find it:

How does one correctly report a player with an inappropriate name?

See below:
New Knight   (21 hours, 53 minutes ago)
A new knight has emerged from the ranks of the Coria nobles. Corysucks Sir Poopsalot is starting his career today.
He originates from Crahandan. He comes from a new noble family (OOC: 0 days in the game) and he might need some assistance to get started. Mentors, take note. You can check the background of this family or send a welcome message.

New Knight   (21 hours, 52 minutes ago)
A new knight has emerged from the ranks of the Coria nobles. Liam Alex Stoneshield is starting his career today.
He originates from Shanandoah. He comes from a new noble family (OOC: 0 days in the game) and he might need some assistance to get started. Mentors, take note. You can check the background of this family or send a welcome message.

New Knight   (21 hours, 52 minutes ago)
A new knight has emerged from the ranks of the Coria nobles. Cory VonBitcon is starting his career today.
He originates from Beleriel. He comes from a new noble family (OOC: 0 days in the game) and he might need some assistance to get started. Mentors, take note. You can check the background of this family or send a welcome message.

The latter two are fine, but it's clear the first one is not. There's no evidence of multi-ing yet and I would suspect it actually is three friends joining. (One who isn't so happy about it.)

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Inappropriate Naming?
« Reply #1: February 15, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »
I'd suggest approaching him, in a friendly matter, first. Welcome them to the Realm and suggest that their name may not be the most appropriate and that they can change their name by going to 'Politics'

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 15, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »
Indeed: The appropriate course of action is to first contact the player and ask him to either delete and recreate his account, or request a name change.

If that fails, then in the general case, there's little you can do. However, there are two more specific cases where you can.

The first is if you are on Dwilight. In that situation, you can file an SMA Report with the Titans, who can take it from there, and if he still doesn't comply, they can force-deport him.

The second is if the name is truly an obviously offensive one (and I personally believe this falls into that category). In that case, you can simply report him to the Titans or Magistrates for violations of the Social Contract.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Eirikr

« Reply #3: February 19, 2013, 07:13:35 AM »
Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been traveling. I still have a couple questions on the same topic/process (as well as an update):

• What does SMA stand for? I keep seeing the acronym, but I can't find where it's spelled out. Just curious here, I understand it functionally.
  • What part of the Social Contract is he violating, specifically? It's clear it's inappropriate, but technically, it's not stated anywhere is it? I guess it could fall under harassing or insulting other players?

I did send the players involved a letter and have received no reply. It's been just under a week. (I can copy the letter if that's helpful.) I'll likely report it this week, unless the actual name change takes longer than that (after being requested)?

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #4: February 19, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »
Serious Medieval Atmosphere.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 19, 2013, 08:42:05 AM »
Serious Medieval Atmosphere.

This is on Atamara.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #6: February 19, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
Might be, but that doesn't stop people from using the acronym ever. :P

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 20, 2013, 05:09:07 AM »
This is on Atamara.
He was just replying to Eikir's first question.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton