Author Topic: Why can't priests fight?  (Read 11523 times)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't priests fight?
« Topic Start: February 16, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
And before you say that it would have been historically accurate for him to have done so: tough beans.

No question even mentioning historical accuracy would be complete without Anaris condescending to explain a gameplay compromise to the unwashed masses. Yes, I get it.

I am asking - again - why instant travel is a feature particular to the priest class. I am not asking that it be taken away or expanded or even changed. I suppose I don't understand it: you have here a game whose entire functional basis is turns and hours per day. You then make an exception to the system governing the whole game. I presume this is for a good reason, and so I am curious what that reason is.

If I were actually lobbying to change the system at all I wouldn't really come at it this way - I'd probably suggest that once somebody becomes a priest, they can't stop becoming a priest without a big penalty (being defrocked is a big deal). A historically accurate priesthood, given that 'historically accurate' with a non-Catholic religious system is already kind of a red herring, would be one where joining the priesthood gave you certain additional skills and bonuses but also prohibited you from certain things that non-priests get. Maybe you can't ever be a Duke, for instance (since it's meaningless to take away inheritance). Or some other recognition that you serve two masters and so are removed from the natural order of things.

It just wouldn't occur to me to change up how hours work.