Author Topic: Feature Request: Make any "Serious Wound" cause loss of All Positions  (Read 9463 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster

I am ignoring all replies, especially the de-railing of this topic to discuss priest stuff. My reply goes to the topic starter:

It used to be this way and was changed for a reason. Dig up the old discussions and read through them, you will understand why.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
I believe Anaris speaks on such comparisons quite well.

If they feel for game balance reasons that priests should be excluded then they can do so.

Actually, it's a perfect topic for a poorly considered proposal.

The mere fact that your argument is essentially "go away!  You're pointing out my flaws and lack of consideration for more aspects of the game than the singular one I want to change because someone I tried to get assassinated didn't get knocked from his/her position!" speaks volumes.

You haven't explained why this is a poorly considered proposal except for your reference to priests. If priests should be excluded they can be excluded. That says nothing though for the rest of the proposal. Also, if you haven't read the other thread, then you are missing a large portion of the point of this proposal. It is directly tied to improving infiltrator gameplay and the bounty board as I discussed there. I created a new proposal at Indirik's request.

Also, I haven't tried to assassinate anyone. Before you seek to make ad-hominem arguments against me, perhaps actually discuss my proposal.

I am ignoring all replies, especially the de-railing of this topic to discuss priest stuff. My reply goes to the topic starter:

It used to be this way and was changed for a reason. Dig up the old discussions and read through them, you will understand why.

Thank you Tom. Do you know if this was on the discussion list or forums? So I can narrow my search. Also, can you relate this to my other thread. Is there some workable solution to the general problem?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Ah...Tom, I very much doubt that those discussions can be dug up. They definitely predated the forums, and I think they were on the old old Discussion List. Whose archives, unless you have a copy lurking around, are long since lost.

As to preaching in evil regions:

You know you don't have to actually preach directly there to make some headway, right? If you can maintain 100% following in Region X, all the regions adjacent to Region X (that don't already have 100% following) will be making a good number of converts each day. Get enough converts in Region Y, with a majority of the evil religion, to build a shrine there, and you'll be able to make further headway without any further risk to you.

Naturally, if there are priests of the evil religion preaching in Region Y, you won't make progress. But...they won't be able to make progress against you in Region X, either, as long as you keep its following high.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Um, I certainly couldn't find any discussion on it on the forum.

Anaris is this still current:

For serious wounding by an infiltrator, Council positions are lost instantly, except the Ruler position in a Monarch, Theocracy, or Tyranny.

All positions can be lost if the character remains wounded for long enough, from any kind of wound.

We know that there is a certain amount of inconsistency in how wounding is treated.  We intend to clear it up, but due to the way the code in these situations works, it's not as simple as it sounds.

That was written July 2011. And this:

For a very long time, it was nearly impossible for any wound to trigger the wound position timeout.  That changed last year with my implementation of the new wounding system.  I have now seen several characters affected by it.

That's not to say it will never be tweaked; like many aspects of the game, it bears paying attention to, and having its knobs turned if things aren't quite in balance.

We do want people to lose their positions from wounds, and it does happen—the question, of course, for both of those, is how often.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I believe one of the reasons for the change to not lose titles kon a serious wound was that the vast majority of the time, the same person was immediately reappointed. In many cases where this was not possible, a placeholder was elected/appointed "until the rightful lord came back". That used to be SOP for a LONG time. If we go back to removing so easily, then we'll have a lot of angry people, royal status will pretty much mean nothing, and we'll have a LOT of placeholders again.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I believe one of the reasons for the change to not lose titles kon a serious wound was that the vast majority of the time, the same person was immediately reappointed. In many cases where this was not possible, a placeholder was elected/appointed "until the rightful lord came back". That used to be SOP for a LONG time. If we go back to removing so easily, then we'll have a lot of angry people, royal status will pretty much mean nothing, and we'll have a LOT of placeholders again.

Except placeholders are now prohibited. So we won't have them....

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Except placeholders are now prohibited. So we won't have them....

Uh-huh. You just keep thinking that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Uh-huh. You just keep thinking that.

Does no one follow rules?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

Right, this, I remember, is what used to be said.

Which always seemed like a non-sequitur, to me. "Since woundings don't offer much turnover because of placeholders, we'll just make sure they offer even less turnover by having wounded people keep their titles".

Royal status means unbannable. I have a really hard time seeing how it would ever "pretty much mean nothing". If we have less placeholders, it's not because this policy has made them happen at a lower rate, but just at a lower frequency. In other words, the % of times a title loss results in a placeholder hasn't shrunk (I'd guess it'd likely even increase), there are just less opportunities for it to be done. And the more difficult it is for people to get rid of their ruler, the more conservative in their ruler-to-be choice will be.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

Does no one follow rules?

There's a reason why the Magistrates have two pages of cases.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile

Look, there are two barely related issues this might impact.  First, general turnover.  I agree, this won't help general turnover.  This will, however, help the other issue, which is the "what in the name of all that is holy do I do about a Duke I don't like?!?" problem that people have been talking about for years.  Especially Royal Dukes.  Frankly, I don't think this is the best way to go about it, but let's not confuse the two issues.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Thank you Tom. Do you know if this was on the discussion list or forums? So I can narrow my search. Also, can you relate this to my other thread. Is there some workable solution to the general problem?

Anaris is probably right. The very short summary is that those removals led to a lot of undesirable behaviour, most importantly a proliferation of placeholder positions.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I see the two different issue. I was explaining the reason for the switch with wounds and positions. I also agree that this is probably not the best way to deal with the situation. Meking it so easy to knock someone out of an office makes dealing with that troublesome royal too easy.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
What is wrong with that? I'd like to see examples where priests in the middle ages held a lot of high feudal titles. The ones that did certainly weren't spending their time preaching in some rural town where they could be attacked by 10 followers of a foreign religion.

No real reason for this reply except it made me think of an example.  Henry the VIII when he got mad at the Pope for not granting him a divorce and created the Church of England and named himself as the head, then executed the clergy/cardinals/bishops that would not accept this.  Unfortunately for him, his best friend, Sir Thomas Moore, could not accept it, and was executed.

Anyway, /history

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Indeed, this used to be the case.  Another issue with the serious wounding leading to loss of positions was that it made it all to easy to claim regions.  I can recall several instances of it being done, and more being plotted, of nobles from wealthy families employing infiltrators to assassinate lords of cities so that they could use family wealth to buy the city.  Back then its how at least some realms started- assassinate duke, buy city, secession.  I think it still MIGHT allow you to do some of this when a lord is seriously wounded, but obviously cities and duchies are not quite the same pair they used to be.

Lots of meta-gaming.