Author Topic: Feature Request: Make any "Serious Wound" cause loss of All Positions  (Read 9480 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Title: Make any "Serious Wound" cause loss of all positions.

Summary: Currently a player must remain wounded for 5-7 days to lose their positions. This is highly unlikely to occur from infiltrator wounding from my experience. One of the main reasons a player may be inclined to call an assassination on another character is in the hope of removing their positions. This change would reflect this tendency.

Details: This proposal is in connection with a change to the bounty board proposal which can be found here: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,3860.0.html Right now, infiltrator actions are not effective in causing loss of positions, yet assassination attempts are often cited by devs and others as to one primary method of removing unsavor types from their posts. I propose that the game mechanics reinforce actual in-game tendencies and allow the game to make some sense with regards to the use of infiltrators. One important note: An alternative method which I am against is increasing the length of time that infiltrator attacks remove a character from the game. This is counter productive as it causes loss of game time. Instead, the emphasis should be to allow the wounding to still last a shorter and more reasonable time frame, while still making assassinations to remove positions effective.

Benefits: Make the infiltrator class useful and meaningful without inhibiting player action and causing further debilitation through increased wound lengths. Also, make the bounty board actually a meaningful feature in the game. Right now, all gold spent on the bounty board is better used elsewhere, and is wasted as a bounty. In addition, this will increase position turnover which is positive for player retention and game fun.

Exploits: None.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
There goes priests holding any positions ever. 

Opposed.  Seriously opposed.  I've been critically and seriously wounded from preaching many times.  Game even told me I was DEAD once (I got better).

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
There goes priests holding any positions ever. 

Opposed.  Seriously opposed.  I've been critically and seriously wounded from preaching many times.  Game even told me I was DEAD once (I got better).

Would you support a proposal that caused all serious wounds caused by infiltrators to cause loss of positions?
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Personally, I'm against special treatment based on character class.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Personally, I'm against special treatment based on character class.

So am I. I also think if you're getting wounded preaching over and over again, you're doing something wrong. (Although I lack experience as a priest)

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Yeah, you're preaching in an area where there is a faith that considers yours evil or misguided.  You know, converting the heathens, which is what priests are supposed to do?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Would you support a proposal that caused all serious wounds caused by infiltrators to cause loss of positions?

Infils do use poison... one of the poison's side-effects could be that it looks like the guy is gonna die, hence making people think he may as well be replaced.

Doesn't feel right that the game handles infil attacks and other wounds in exactly the same way. Be it for loss of positions or bounties. Especially bounties... Seeing all that gold go to someone for a fluke battle wound that doesn't remove any positions feels like a total ripoff, because that wound would have happened regardless of the bounty.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Yeah, you're preaching in an area where there is a faith that considers yours evil or misguided.  You know, converting the heathens, which is what priests are supposed to do?

What's wrong with getting wounded then? That makes perfect sense. I don't think Priests are supposed to be the sole means of converting large enemy faith zones. If the problem is that it is an enemy faith, then build some temples first. Use those to help change some of the population.

I don't think it should be easy to convert a region which is heavily against your religion.

If that also has consequences from losing titles then that should fit.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
You definately have no experience being an active priest, do you?  Because wounds have happened to me when I've still had a 90% rate of MY religion in the area. 

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
You definately have no experience being an active priest, do you?  Because wounds have happened to me when I've still had a 90% rate of MY religion in the area.

I said I didn't have experience. But this case is not the one you described above.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Yeah, it is.  Since I am still preaching to members of hostile religions that are in a region.  When you're preaching, you're not preaching to your followers, you're preaching to pagans and other faiths.  Pagans never attack.  Hostile religions do, though there is a chance they can be stopped by followers. 

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
He's not asking that priests cease to be wounded, he's just stating that your suggestion would make it impossible for a hell of a lot of priests to maintain any kind of titles whatsoever.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
He's not asking that priests cease to be wounded, he's just stating that your suggestion would make it impossible for a hell of a lot of priests to maintain any kind of titles whatsoever.
This.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

What is wrong with that? I'd like to see examples where priests in the middle ages held a lot of high feudal titles. The ones that did certainly weren't spending their time preaching in some rural town where they could be attacked by 10 followers of a foreign religion.

Yeah, it is.  Since I am still preaching to members of hostile religions that are in a region.  When you're preaching, you're not preaching to your followers, you're preaching to pagans and other faiths.  Pagans never attack.  Hostile religions do, though there is a chance they can be stopped by followers. 

If 90% of the religion follows you and 10% are evil heretics, you shouldn't be getting wounded. Your followers should protect you. Whether or not the game mechanics reflect this or not is for a different topic and proposal.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
What is wrong with that? I'd like to see examples where priests in the middle ages held a lot of high feudal titles. The ones that did certainly weren't spending their time preaching in some rural town where they could be attacked by 10 followers of a foreign religion.

And before you say that it would have been historically accurate for him to have done so: tough beans. There are plenty of things that would have been historically accurate that we prevent you from doing for game balance reasons.
I believe Anaris speaks on such comparisons quite well.

If 90% of the religion follows you and 10% are evil heretics, you shouldn't be getting wounded. Your followers should protect you. Whether or not the game mechanics reflect this or not is for a different topic and proposal.
Actually, it's a perfect topic for a poorly considered proposal.

The mere fact that your argument is essentially "go away!  You're pointing out my flaws and lack of consideration for more aspects of the game than the singular one I want to change because someone I tried to get assassinated didn't get knocked from his/her position!" speaks volumes.