Author Topic: Where are all the scrolls?  (Read 9128 times)

Psyche

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Where are all the scrolls?
« Topic Start: February 17, 2013, 12:34:24 AM »
With the new invasion mechanics, summoning scrolls, things sounded like they could get interesting.   I only have an advy on the island, but I have heard nothing more of the scrolls other than descriptions.

Are they uncommon, or are people just bulking up/afraid to use them right now?  It just seems like a fun thing to give them to an advy who can scout monster/undead levels in a region and scroll bomb them.  Maybe we'll see them when a war breaks out.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Where are all the scrolls?
« Reply #1: February 17, 2013, 01:46:54 AM »
Honestly, from what Tom said, I think the odds of them appearing are much too high. Sure, it is unlikely that they all be used right now... but they are kind of like nuclear weapons. Once someone starts using them, I expect others will likely follow in. Apparently, the effects would be disastrous, though... it seems way too early for BT to see disastrous results again.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 17, 2013, 02:40:23 AM »
I can't wait until the day when someone with some serious spellcasting skill gets hold of a dozen of these things, and start lighting them off like sparklers on the forth of July! I don't care where iit happens, I just want to be around to see it happen.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 17, 2013, 02:44:42 AM »
I can't wait until the day when someone with some serious spellcasting skill gets hold of a dozen of these things, and start lighting them off like sparklers on the forth of July! I don't care where iit happens, I just want to be around to see it happen.

I'm rather skeptical. It just seems like too much power that can be concentrated in the hands of too few. It also sounds like it'd be capable of acting as a deterrent to war, through MAD: "If you attack us, we'll nuke you with scrolls of undead".

We've never seen war between nuclear-able nations, as far as I know. I fear the effects of having such devastating weapons (against which there is no efficient defense) might have on diplomacy.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 17, 2013, 03:28:51 AM »
I'm rather skeptical. It just seems like too much power that can be concentrated in the hands of too few. It also sounds like it'd be capable of acting as a deterrent to war, through MAD: "If you attack us, we'll nuke you with scrolls of undead".

We've never seen war between nuclear-able nations, as far as I know. I fear the effects of having such devastating weapons (against which there is no efficient defense) might have on diplomacy.

My argument is: Don't be a pussy and just use the damn things, they're awesome.

They're basically like KRB, it's sort of controversial but that won't keep those who want to from doing it. And my character wants to. :) He sees those scrolls as the ultimate victory of mankind over the invasion forces. The undead and monsters used to be the slaves of the daimons, now they can be summoned to do our bidding.

Die for my glory, slaves!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 17, 2013, 03:44:24 AM »
Except that they'll also kick your own ass too. Odds are that if you have enough to kill any one realm (which in itself seems so wrong to me), they, or a collection of realms, also have enough to do the same to you.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 17, 2013, 03:52:00 AM »
Yes but it's a resource. You don't have unlimited scrolls and they still build up quite slowly. Right now I bet there's a few decent stockpiles already or people are getting there at least but it has also taken 6 months to get to this point. You can't just use them carelessly.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: February 17, 2013, 03:53:40 AM »
Except that they'll also kick your own ass too. Odds are that if you have enough to kill any one realm (which in itself seems so wrong to me), they, or a collection of realms, also have enough to do the same to you.
I actually wonder how many will think before they use them about the fact that these hordes of monsters and undead are just as likely to turn in their own forces as they are the enemy.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 17, 2013, 03:54:56 AM »
Yes but it's a resource. You don't have unlimited scrolls and they still build up quite slowly. Right now I bet there's a few decent stockpiles already or people are getting there at least but it has also taken 6 months to get to this point. You can't just use them carelessly.

The victim realm has little to lose by using theirs.

I actually wonder how many will think before they use them about the fact that these hordes of monsters and undead are just as likely to turn in their own forces as they are the enemy.

Those who have few might not, those who accumulate many likely will.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: February 17, 2013, 03:57:42 AM »
Honestly, from what Tom said, I think the odds of them appearing are much too high. Sure, it is unlikely that they all be used right now... but they are kind of like nuclear weapons. Once someone starts using them, I expect others will likely follow in. Apparently, the effects would be disastrous, though... it seems way too early for BT to see disastrous results again.

Erm...I'm not 100% sure that the analogy to nukes is intentional, but I suspect it is.

I do know that the intention is that these scrolls are the engines that will drive the Next Invasion.

For that to happen, by the time they are finally used, there really needs to be a critical mass of them.

Based on what I know about the numbers of scrolls out there now, and about their actual effects, I think that it's right on track. (Note that I do not think it's there just yet.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 17, 2013, 04:46:58 AM »
Erm...I'm not 100% sure that the analogy to nukes is intentional, but I suspect it is.

I do know that the intention is that these scrolls are the engines that will drive the Next Invasion.

For that to happen, by the time they are finally used, there really needs to be a critical mass of them.

Based on what I know about the numbers of scrolls out there now, and about their actual effects, I think that it's right on track. (Note that I do not think it's there just yet.)

So once everyone has a nuke option, and everyone decides to bombard everyone else...this will spawn an apocalyptic event that tears asunder the divide between hell and Beluterra? Sounds neat. BM nuclear winter.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 17, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »
My understanding of these scrolls is that adventurers cannot find them or make them, though theoretically they could be given one. From what Tom has written elsewhere, there is a very small chance that a region lord will receive one on any given day as the result of his constables/soldiers/whatever arresting a witch or warlock and confiscating a scroll. They will therefore gradually increase in number over time. The question is, who will go to the length of collecting as many scrolls as possible scrolls in one place, and then who will be willing to use them to maximum effect?

I personally can't wait for this to happen either. Really need to come up with a rationale for creating that secret society I was thinking of earlier. It's not easy to figure out a good IC reason for your character to create a cult dedicated to bringing on the apocalypse though...

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 17, 2013, 08:10:50 AM »
I personally can't wait for this to happen either. Really need to come up with a rationale for creating that secret society I was thinking of earlier. It's not easy to figure out a good IC reason for your character to create a cult dedicated to bringing on the apocalypse though...

Give it a bit for the RP to perambulate through, and you won't need to come up with anything new to justify using them if you belong to the right religion.  Bringing about an apocalypse may be a bit much, but using them to destroy ones enemies will be encouraged.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: February 17, 2013, 01:31:49 PM »
There's quite a few of these scrolls around by now. So BT is turning into a powder keg and all it needs is one spark.

Nobody willing to play his character gone insane and just trying out the three scrolls he has? Everyone is afraid of the "nuclear" thing, but these aren't Hiroshima bombs. More like nuclear hand grenades - you need a couple to do real damage. But someone needs to start...

Volunteers? ;-)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: February 17, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
Tensions among Thalmarkin and Melhed is growing...
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!