Author Topic: Proposed new rule regarding posting of IC messages on the forum  (Read 15097 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I would like to discuss a new proposed forum rule regarding the posting of IG messages on the forum. I think the issue is getting out of hand. Basically, this proposal:

If you are not the original author of the message in-game, then you don't post it on the forum. Period. Infringing messages will be edited out by forum mods, and the poster will be issued a warning.

Discuss...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I would propose a modification of this: it should only apply to messages that are limited in recipients—that is, personal messages and messages sent to very small groups.

I don't see why it should be a problem to post a message that was already sent to an entire realm, or to all of Sanguis Astroism.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
I think this is a good idea.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
I would totally agree...

And, yes... only messages you have sent. That someone sends it to whole realm, doesnt mean it to be sent whole BM.

I as Darkan ruler often send messages to my realm mates, which i wouldnt always want to certain people to see... or discussed at forums.

Ofcourse exception would be magistrate/titan issues.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Where exactly has this been a problem?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Last time i saw it on "Phoenix rising" thread.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Where exactly has this been a problem?
And there was a letter that Kuriga sent to only one person and they posted that on the forums. Their excuse was that they were spreading IC anyways.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
People don't post on the forums, they'll post on the wiki.  They don't post on the wiki, they'll post on Facebook.  They don't post on Facebook, they'll share on IRC or IM services.

Things will be shared IC and OOC.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  Rules for the sake of having rules is silly.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
People don't post on the forums, they'll post on the wiki.  They don't post on the wiki, they'll post on Facebook.  They don't post on Facebook, they'll share on IRC or IM services.

Things will be shared IC and OOC.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  Rules for the sake of having rules is silly.
The forum is where its at. While there are quite a few that frequent IRC, none of the rest are places that people commonly talk about BM on, and I don't see that suddenly changing because of a rule. Also its not a rule, just to have a rule. Its a rule because people can have issues separating IC and OOC and this will help prevent that.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Posting IC messages for public view, especially messages that are private, or of limited distribution, can easily cause problems. Yes, they can be shared elsewhere. But that doesn't mean that sharing them there, or here, is the right thing to do. And perhaps if we don't allow it here, that may make people think twice about sharing them anywhere.

In addition, I think I agree with jaune regarding even realm-wide messages. Just because a message has been posted to a realm doesn't mean that it is in general circulation.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I would think that etiquette would require that you contact the person when posting their messages. Magistrates cases aside, it won't hurt anything to get permission before you make comments public.

As far as making it a rule to not post other's messages, I dunno. Some people do not use the forums so we may lose some juicy gossip that no one cares if it's spread. I guess that isn't much of a loss to protect IC interactions.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Maybe the easier solution to making rules is reminding people of an obvious fact:

There is no way to guarantee these messages are genuine. They could just as well be 100% made-up.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Thats true, but then again i still would consider that OOC playing... trying to effect game play through OOC means.

It is diffrent to say things at forum with your own words, than copy paste messages sent.... people could understand things diffrently...

I dont know if actually rule is needed, but i just think it would be good people to think few times before posting IG messages at forums.

This can easily lead to that i rather talk smaller and smaller group of people IG, or totally outside the game at IRC to avoid being "ambushed" at forums.

-Jaune

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I doubt any other medium gets as much visibility as the forums.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Maybe the easier solution to making rules is reminding people of an obvious fact:

There is no way to guarantee these messages are genuine. They could just as well be 100% made-up.
There is an issue with that, the same reason 90% of letters shared IG are accepted as fact. Its highly unlikely they actually made a good forgery, especially since how that specific character talks is different than the person reporting the message.
― G.K. Chesterton