Author Topic: Finding dead adventurers  (Read 4149 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Finding dead adventurers
« Topic Start: February 26, 2013, 03:58:05 AM »
Title: finding dead adventurers

Summary: After an adventurer dies, his/her body along with most of the common items are findable.  Along with all the unique items. 

Details:  The adventurer's body and belongings would be findable by other adventurers.  For the first while, they could be found by an adventurer hunting in the same region.  After a while, it would need to be found while searching.  As time passes fewer and fewer common items remain, and the identity of adventurer would also be lost. 

Benefits:  Many adventurers interact with each other and would likely enjoy the RP.  There is currently nothing informing other adventurers of one of their companion's death.

Possible Exploits:  when losing an adventurer, players will just create new ones to find what they lost.  Making the common items have a shorter half life would solve that problem.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Finding dead adventurers
« Reply #1: February 26, 2013, 11:53:41 AM »
Unique items can already be found, they are not destroyed when they are lost.

As for the body - well, most of the time you'll die fighting monsters or undead. There won't be much of a body left to find.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 26, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
Unique items can already be found, they are not destroyed when they are lost.

As for the body - well, most of the time you'll die fighting monsters or undead. There won't be much of a body left to find.

And 99% of the rest of the time, you're executed by a Judge. They're not just going to leave the body and belongings lying around.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 26, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
Even if this is unlikely to come to pass, can I just say that this was an awesome suggestion that hit all of the right notes. Humor, immersion, surprise, and flair? We need more like this.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 26, 2013, 08:47:38 PM »
I feel like this would be easy to implement.

Heck, even without items– it would be fun to see even just some text flair.

Any time an advie dies in the wild, it adds some random chance of a text thing that comes up when hunting that says, "You find the disemboweled remains of XYZ...)

It'd be a fun addition.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #5: February 26, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »
Somehow... your opinion of what is easy to implement differs from mine... -_-
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 26, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »
Yeah; this would be vast amount of work for nearly no benefit.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 26, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »
I feel like this would be easy to implement.
I do not keep track of who is actually on the coding team.  Are you?  I am always very careful to state that I have no clue what so ever how much work something would be. 
It should be easy, just add an "if statement" and done!
Clearly have no idea what is actually involved; given that the only thing I have to compare it to is an alphabetizer (Comp Sci 101), I am guessing that this is more complex.

Would it be easier to have a message sent out to all nearby advies, and possibly the last few advies who contacted the recently departed adventurer?  That option is a bit less realistic, but would at least inform others of what happened.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: February 26, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »
I do not keep track of who is actually on the coding team.

All dev team members have the person-at-a-computer icon you can see under my avatar.
Timothy Collett

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #9: February 27, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »
All dev team members have the person-at-a-computer icon you can see under my avatar.

Although not all members of the dev team code and board moderator icons override the poor-overworked-underexercised-person-at-desktop icon. If you want to make sure you can always click on their name and it shows up in the summary. ;)

Disclaimer: All negative references are referring to yours truly, no guarantees provided, all rights forfeited.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:40:38 AM by Foundation »
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: February 27, 2013, 03:11:09 AM »
And it says Dev Team above above the icon but below their name.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: February 27, 2013, 04:01:06 AM »
And it says Dev Team above above the icon but below their name.
Not always. Foundation is a good example.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: February 27, 2013, 04:50:58 AM »
Not always. Foundation is a good example.
The reason I quoted Anaris's response is because if they have the computer icon they also have that but you are right. I personally think it would be a good idea for the devs that have it covered up to throw in their sig that they are Dev team member.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #13: February 27, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »
It's okay... sometimes it is better to not know...  :-[