Author Topic: Feature Request: Anonymous Messaging Option in Secret Societies  (Read 12352 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
That works as long as they are unique.
AKA, it doesn't work. I originally was in favor in anonymity but after consideration, I hate the idea. This is character interaction for one and for two, you have to actually have someone to send it to, even if it is a pseudonym. I could come up with more reasons, but I hope I don't need to.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
You could assume that whoever "runs" the society knows who everyone is, and routes messages accordingly. Or you could make other changes to make SS messaging more unique and support the "anonymous" aspect.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
All of this pseudonym nonsense is just that: Nonsense.

Either you're anonymous or not.

Also, I think some are misinterpreting the point of this. One of the central issues that I want to address with this feature request is giving the ability to elders to contact those below in the secret society without revealing their identity. That way, the leadership of such a society can be held secret even when the grunts may also be secret from each other.

The point is not to hold long anonymous discussions, but that will be somewhat possible. The point is that the elders know the members, but the members shouldn't easily know the elders. The same for the aspirant ranks. You shouldn't know who those higher than you are.

Therefore, simply allow an option to send a letter anonymously in the secret society and make it fully anonymous (no nicknames) to all except the elders. Alternatively, only allow elders to send anonymous letters within the society.

(Aside: Who all gets a message when a new member joins a secret society? Who is their identity revealed to?)
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I think the elders are informed. The elders can see the entire membership tree for their ranks and all ranks below them.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
I think the elders are informed. The elders can see the entire membership tree for their ranks and all ranks below them.

Okay, if others were informed, I would have made a feature request to make it only the elders.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Tim codes the game. What do you do?

I play a Duke on the internet!
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I play a Duke on the internet!
Lies! Your highest positions are ambassador and earl atm.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
I played an advie.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

Shhhh.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile

While no Himoura is a Duke, there is a strong possibility that a Duke is being played by a Himoura.  ;)
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
While no Himoura is a Duke, there is a strong possibility that a Duke is being played by a Himoura.  ;)

Don't tell Sevastian ;)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
That I must admit is true.
― G.K. Chesterton

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
If we are concerned about being able to report abusive messages, have anonymous messages include a 20 digit string which is unique to that message, which the magistrates would be able to decode, but would be entirely useless to everyone else. 
Again I do not know how difficult it would be to have the elders be able to know who sent the message without everyone else knowing.
Is this too hard to code?  Which constraint does this not deal with? 
Other than the "I don't like the idea in general?"