Author Topic: Feature Request: Anonymous Messaging Option in Secret Societies  (Read 12224 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Title: Anonymous Messaging Option in Secret Societies

Summary: Just as there is a way in normal messaging to pay for your letters to not include who it was all sent to, I think that while in a secret society it should be possible for messages sent in a secret society to be "anonymous" as it is in the underground. Either via a small payment to make it such, or simply an option to select.

Details: It could be that these messages are only anonymous to those who are on the same level or lower than you in the secret society hierarchy. Or that all messages are anonymous except the elders will always know who sends what.

Benefits: This would allow secret societies to function a lot better with actually maintaining the anonymity of members in the society instead of ruining the knowledge of who is in the society as soon as you use it to send a message. 

Possible Exploits: None.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Zakilevo

Pretty sure this has been rejected numerous times...

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Pretty sure this has been rejected numerous times...

Well it wasn't listed on frequently rejected so I added it here when I thought of it.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I don't know that it was ever proposed in relation to secret societies.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
What I see as being really cool is the ability for a noble to be invited by one other person to join a secret society. Upon joining the society may have 20 members but they only know the identity of one.

Then, that new member can receive orders from all members above them without that new member knowing who these people are. However, they know that they trust the one who invited them so they will continue to work for the good of the society.

Likewise, members can talk and plan amongst themselves without revealing their identities to each other. The elders know who is saying what, but the rest won't.

This would make me much more inclined to use secret societies in new and inventive ways.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This is an interesting idea for a secret society. This would be the only idea for anonymous messaging that I would support.

Gustav Kuriga

It kind of takes away the whole goal of a secret society if everyone knows everyone...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Possible Exploits: None.

Did you even think for twelve consecutive seconds about this? 'Cause I'm sure that if you did, you could come up with some exploits for this...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

Anaris, ever saying how we're wrong without pointing out exactly what is wrong...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Anaris, ever saying how we're wrong without pointing out exactly what is wrong...

Ain't my job to come up with possible exploits for his feature request.

I'd just once like to see evidence that someone actually put thought into the Exploits section, rather than simply saying, "Eh, can't possibly be any; it's something I thought of, after all!"
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

It isn't your job. However, it is something I like to call being helpful. Should try it some time, really feels good.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
It isn't your job. However, it is something I like to call being helpful. Should try it some time, really feels good.
Tim codes the game. What do you do?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, I always think about possible exploits for my different requests and add them when I can think of some.

I couldn't come up with anything that I thought would be exploitative to the detriment of game play.

Any "exploits" I could come up with, didn't seem as bad things to me, so I left them off the section. Stuff such as:

1. Alternative to an underground for planning. (Don't see anything wrong with that. Using the underground now is a bad idea anyway imo, and good rebellions don't use it except until the last moment)

2. Replacement to realm/in-game messaging in general? (Highly unlikely to ever work out in such a manner, and wouldn't be effective.)

So, I mean I really can't come up with anything that this could be used for to exploit the game or system in a manner that leads to a detriment. Secret Societies are supposed to be secret gathering locations for nefarious acts and plans. This implies that understanding of memberships is not something that wants to be easily available. The feature request is also kept in check that if anyone is abusing a higher position in the society, the elders will know who sent the messages.

Again, I'm sorry, but it must be the way I think as I still can't come up with anymore exploits. I spent a few minutes when writing this to think of it originally and came up with none just as now.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I could see it being used to anonymously trash-talk other players, and to send other forms of abusive messages. There would need to be some way to enable reporting of these messages.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Also, the messages would not have any Vulgarity link. There would need to be some hidden sender field for accountability purposes.