Author Topic: I Hate Food  (Read 62498 times)

egamma

Re: I Hate Food
« Reply #240: May 29, 2013, 03:31:25 PM »
If food were actually scarce, why would you do anything but horde whatever thin margin you get? Trade it for gold so you can go out and kill whoever you sold food to?

You've described the situation on Dwilight for the past 3 years.

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #241: May 29, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »
And then when there's a war both sides just end up starving to death.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #242: May 31, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
If food were actually scarce, why would you do anything but horde whatever thin margin you get? Trade it for gold so you can go out and kill whoever you sold food to?

You would try to horde it while others would try to take it from you.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #243: May 31, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »
You would try to horde it while others would try to take it from you.

No, you would try to hoard it, while any others who were low enough to need to take it from you would simply starve to death because war while starving is pretty darn near impossible.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244: May 31, 2013, 02:59:35 PM »
.. war while starving is pretty darn near impossible.
Doing *anything* while starving, other than dying, is impossible. It's just the way the mechanics of starvation work. Once it starts, you only have a few days to get food to the region before everything goes to hell.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Deytheur

« Reply #245: May 31, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
Doing *anything* while starving, other than dying, is impossible. It's just the way the mechanics of starvation work. Once it starts, you only have a few days to get food to the region before everything goes to hell.

And even then you spend a week hanging on the brink while it gets distributed.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #246: June 01, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
Or you could cut unsustainable regions loose, in order to preserve the rest.

That is what I would do if this were a single player strategy game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #247: June 01, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »

Except that the "unsustainable" regions tend to be the ones that actually produce the gold you need to fight wars...

Bread doesn't buy weapons.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248: June 01, 2013, 09:29:13 PM »
Single player strategies rarely, if ever, transfer over to multi-player games. It is extremely rare to find a live opponent as stupid as a game AI.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #249: June 04, 2013, 10:18:33 PM »
Single player strategies rarely, if ever, transfer over to multi-player games. It is extremely rare to find a live opponent as stupid as a game AI.

You're right. Most of the time by making multiple people work together online, you make them dumber than a game AI.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #250: June 04, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »
You're right. Most of the time by making multiple people work together online, you make them dumber than a game AI.

I really think people don't realize that the AI in games is purposely dumbed down... otherwise you'd have AI that aim-botted and reacted instantly.

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #251: June 05, 2013, 12:24:52 AM »
Gustav, it obviously varies by genre. Targeting a point in 3d space is mathematically simple, so AI can beat humans in FPSs. In strategy games, tho, AI often struggle to behave rationally, or sometimes even vaguely understandably (Total War diplomacy, take a bow).

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #252: June 05, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »
Gustav, it obviously varies by genre. Targeting a point in 3d space is mathematically simple, so AI can beat humans in FPSs. In strategy games, tho, AI often struggle to behave rationally, or sometimes even vaguely understandably (Total War diplomacy, take a bow).

Oh, that I'll agree with you on (fellow Total War veteran here, so I know what you mean).

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #253: June 05, 2013, 02:50:24 AM »

Or if you have surplus food, you can sustain another region.
Looking on the bright side, food or gold 8)

Except that the "unsustainable" regions tend to be the ones that actually produce the gold you need to fight wars...

Bread doesn't buy weapons.
Bread doesn't buy weapons aye ;D
But bread can starve the region into revolt. It does take sometime for the region to revolt after starving. I have been playing at a realm where we have war until the enemy border regions are driven rogue, some in part due to us constantly looting the region food for replenish our unit provision.

But if you have less men on battlefield, then bread doesn't buy weapons. Becos you will need gold and lot of it to recruit more men.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #254: June 06, 2013, 04:22:44 AM »

So get food before starvation sets in. You don't wait until cupboards are bare before you go shopping. That reminds me...I need to go shopping.