Author Topic: Player targetted abuse for in-game actions  (Read 25235 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: Player targetted abuse for in-game actions
« Reply #60: March 02, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
I would like to note that the Magistrates have been discussing this in the Backroom. We are going to begin voting very soon on the verdict. If anyone has anything else to say that they would like us to consider, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Elegant, I think we have a decent handle on your position, but if you have a more detailed argument you want to make then please make it soon.

Elegant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: March 03, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
Sorry for being late guys, I couldn't help it, I was busy this weekend.

Finally, I would like to emphasize the fact that when I play the game, I am clear that interactions are between characters. So, I, as a player, did not do any harm to Silverfire player and I neither intend to. neither my other char, nor his other char were a part of it. There was a fight between two ruler chars.

If any magistrate wants to know anything more, please tell me.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: March 08, 2013, 04:04:57 AM »
A verdict has been reached, and IG enforcement actions have been taken. For anyone who desires to cite this case in the future, the final verdict is:

The Magistrates decline to endorse the full extent of the claimant's argument at this time.

Where the character Jason had a good and valid justification for attacking the character Merlin, the Magistrates cannot accept that a few words written in anger on the forum should come to invalidate what was, up until that point, a normal (if intense) interaction between two characters, especially where other characters were also attacking Merlin using much the same tactics. There is no evidence that the player Elegant holds a special grudge against the player Silverfire that goes beyond this conflict. Furthermore, Elegant has apologized and expressed regret for what he said on the forum. In short, we do not think that the character Jason did anything wrong and decline to suggest anything to the contrary by invoking Elegant's "playstyle," as this would set a precedent where OOC motivations matter more than IC ones when it comes to character behavior. A double standard would thus be created.

We do believe that Elegant himself was upset about the IC conflict, as was Silverfire. We believe that this led to the forum exchange at the heart of this case. While it is regrettable that two players would get so emotionally invested in their characters that it leads to harsh words being exchanged over IG events, we also see no evidence of any deeper malice at work here. The Magistrates would remind everyone that conflicts, betrayal, and winning and losing are part of the game, and that it is unwise to become so emotionally invested in your characters that IG conflicts can affect your emotional well-being. Your characters WILL lose at some point, they WILL suffer setbacks, and they WILL experience betrayal and loss. This is an expected and acceptable outcome of the game. Learn to live with it and move on.

While we decline to rule fully in favor of the claimant, we would still like to recognize that what Elegant said on the forum went a little too far. As such he will receive a warning, with the understanding that he has already expressed regret over his words. Furthermore, we advise that, in the future, players who feel other players' actions or words are offensive or harassing should at least make an attempt to contact them about the issue on a private, OOC basis to work things out.

Magistrates voted 5-4 in favor of the guilty verdict, and 4-4-1 in favor of a warning, with 4 favoring not guilty, 4 favoring guilty and a warning, and 1 favoring guilty and removal from all council positions for a period of three months.

This thread will remain open for questions for a brief period.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: March 08, 2013, 06:13:03 AM »
The magistrates can deny players council positions ? That is very curious and I'm not sure it would be an appropriate punishment in any case.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: March 08, 2013, 06:26:14 AM »
The magistrates can deny players council positions ? That is very curious and I'm not sure it would be an appropriate punishment in any case.
Council positions are powerful and have more responsibility, thus they are subject to more rules than other people and if they can't follow them, then perhaps they shouldn't be a council member for a while so they can change their thinking on the matter. While not entirely explicitly said, it is from the Government rules page, which you should have read as you have a character being a banker. Page is here.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: March 08, 2013, 07:11:09 AM »

The Magistrates can request that Tom boot someone from positions.

We do not have a "strip council positions" button on our in-game judicial interface.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: March 08, 2013, 07:20:40 AM »
I just want to thank the Magistrates for their taking the time to hear this case.

I also want to accept Elegant's apology now as it seems I wasn't completely in the right on this case. It is best to move on and play anew.

My only question of the Magistrates is concerning why it took so long for this case to come to a conclusion. It seems to me as if the deliberations were unduly long, and I would request that in the future for any case, a more timely process to be incorporated if at all possible.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: March 08, 2013, 07:30:34 AM »
We had a tied vote for a while and had to go hunt down extra Magistrates to break the tie.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: March 08, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »
I just want to thank the Magistrates for their taking the time to hear this case.

I also want to accept Elegant's apology now as it seems I wasn't completely in the right on this case. It is best to move on and play anew.

My only question of the Magistrates is concerning why it took so long for this case to come to a conclusion. It seems to me as if the deliberations were unduly long, and I would request that in the future for any case, a more timely process to be incorporated if at all possible.

We are aware that we need to try to move faster on these cases, but it can be difficult sometimes given varying activity levels. We'd have issued a ruling much earlier in the week though if, as Vellos mentioned, we didn't spend several days deadlocked and waiting for a few other Magistrates to break the tie.

Elegant

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: March 09, 2013, 07:55:56 PM »
I thank all the magistrates involved in this case. You all invested your precious time in understanding this case. It was my misfortune that due to real life situation, I was not able to find enough time to present my defense in an organized way, which would have made your work easier.

I also thank Silverfire player for accepting my apology about forum post.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: April 01, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »
I can't believe I have to bump this.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: April 01, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »
Why are you bumping it? The Magistrates reached a verdict. Closing this topic now.