Poll

Your Opinion on Food and the Markets in Dwilight

My region produces a surplus but I don't bother to sell the food
0 (0%)
My region produces a surplus but I find it too inconvenient to sell the food
1 (4.2%)
My region produces a surplus and I sell all the food that I can but no one buys it
2 (8.3%)
My region produces a surplus and I sell all the food and it is usually bought
7 (29.2%)
My region is in a deficit but I don't bother to buy food
0 (0%)
My region is in a deficit but I find it too inconvenient to buy the food
0 (0%)
My region is in a deficit and I place buy orders that rarely get filled
6 (25%)
My region is in a deficit and I play buy orders that usually get filled
5 (20.8%)
I don't play on Dwilight but want to vote for something
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: March 04, 2013, 02:40:10 PM

Author Topic: Your Opinion on Food and the Markets in Dwilight  (Read 22078 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
They can. Dwilight currently produces 226% of its demand. Yes, it is autumn. But even considering that, the island produces a steady 13% surplus of food on average. And with the amount currently in granaries, it could feed itself for 24 weeks if all food production dropped to zero this instant.

There is more than enough food around. If you can't find any food, it is not because it doesn't exist.

But that's not really very meaningful.

First of all, for a realm to want to sell food, they're going to need way more than a 13% surplus.

Second of all, the way to ensure that food will be traded is to have areas that have a serious overall deficit and areas that have a significant (>75%) surplus near each other, but not near enough that it's easy for one realm to control them both.

The problem with using food as a trade good is twofold:

1) Realms that can't feed their regions (one way or another) die. Very quickly. Starvation is incredibly harsh, and there is absolutely no way to mitigate it other than providing all the food every region needs every day.
2) Because of this, any attempts to rebalance the food supply into something like I mentioned above will fail badly—because the realm in the deficit area won't live long enough to buy food from the surplus area.

The solution (or part of it, at least) is what I mentioned in the dev thread: allow for three levels of food distribution, half, normal, and double.

This, combined with a slower descent into utter starvation (and a quicker climb out of it), would make food no longer the "all-or-nothing" proposition it is today—and thus make it possible to consider trading it, even when you don't have a year's worth of stockpile and a 100% surplus.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan