Poll

Your Opinion on Food and the Markets in Dwilight

My region produces a surplus but I don't bother to sell the food
0 (0%)
My region produces a surplus but I find it too inconvenient to sell the food
1 (4.2%)
My region produces a surplus and I sell all the food that I can but no one buys it
2 (8.3%)
My region produces a surplus and I sell all the food and it is usually bought
7 (29.2%)
My region is in a deficit but I don't bother to buy food
0 (0%)
My region is in a deficit but I find it too inconvenient to buy the food
0 (0%)
My region is in a deficit and I place buy orders that rarely get filled
6 (25%)
My region is in a deficit and I play buy orders that usually get filled
5 (20.8%)
I don't play on Dwilight but want to vote for something
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: March 04, 2013, 02:40:10 PM

Author Topic: Your Opinion on Food and the Markets in Dwilight  (Read 22079 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Because correct me if I am wrong, and your statement that Dwilight produces 13% more food than it requires does factor in rot. 'cause as I said, otherwise, once rot is factored in, it produces at most a 1,84% surplus.

Huge stockpiles don't change anything to this, because Dwilight's consumption is also huge. At about 2,200,000 population, Dwilight consumes 4400 bushels a day. So if I use this number in my previous calculations, to give a number that sounds closer to the real thing, I get the following data for Dwilight:

Yearly food production: 417,648 bushels
Yearly food consumption: 369,600 bushels
Yearly food rot: 34,513 bushels
Yearly food surplus: 13,535 bushels

And this is assuming the best. Thus, without factoring rot, 100,000 bushels of stocked up food means enough food to cover in the consumption through 1,08 seasons, in other words, barely enough to go through winter. Without factoring in population growth, bad harvests, and everything else I've mentioned earlier, because population is in steady growth and a lot of cities are still nowhere near their max population.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron