Author Topic: Long Distance Wars Impossible?  (Read 31863 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Long Distance Wars Impossible?
« Reply #90: April 23, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »
I've said it before, there are two things which drive diplomacy in this game. The first thing is prudence, players want to see their realm do well, so they will naturally and unconsciously choose the diplomatic paths which are most sensible. The second thing is role play, the idea that instead of a player conducting himself in a manner that he prefers, he might act counter to his own benefit by playing in favour of the character he invented.

These two types of behaviour are in conflict, due to the fact that the character cannot exist apart from the player and so is subject to the player's neural make-up and conditioning. One might reasonably compare this conflict to the sort of conflict which the guy in FIGHT CLUB experienced. The guy in FIGHT CLUB wanted to play the character he/society had created for himself (the buttoned down desk jockey) but was subconsciously foiled by his inner self, his Tyler Durden. Tyler Durden was the manifestation of Edward Norton's base character, a concept-made-physical which Edward Norton could not deny. Try as he might to play to his character's benefit, he could not deny his primordial lust for violence and other base instincts and so was constantly confronted by Tyler, who drove him to abandon his character and revert to his primitive nature.

This type of thing is why Morek Empire is at war with Aurvandil. The players know that there is no practical cause for it, however by denying their nature they have gone ahead with it anyway. For, it is for their characters' benefit somehow, I do not know how, I am not privy to diplomacy, but the specific reason need not matter -- only that it is there. So, Dante, that is how Morek's war with Aurvandil is justified (and it needs no justification other than the players' self-justification; might is right and if it is within their might to engage in an activity then it is outside of anyone else's ability or right to stop them). Perhaps, some day, they will be presented with their own Tyler Durdens. Scaled appropriately to the level of which they have breached their human nature.

Speaking as someone who just finished a freshman level psych course, why do all of your posts seem like they're freshman level psych papers? Did you just read a chapter on cognitive dissonance so now that's your thing? A while ago you were all about the superego and operant conditioning. You realize that you can phrase these arguments in normal English, right? They're not very complex.

Also, way to spoil Fight Club for anyone here who hasn't read/seen it.

To actually say something constructive, I don't think that distance limits force people to fight closer to home. What it does is force them not to fight. Basic politics dictates that your closest neighbors should also be your closest friends. If they were enemies, either they would be dead or you would. Why not let people project force? Going on distant voyages to raid foreign lands seems like an awesome adventure, to me, and it sucks that the game shuts it down. Should you be able to TO and all that? Probably not. Should you be able to raid and pillage? Totally.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:22:57 AM by Norrel »
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: April 23, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
What are the practical experiences with this? Can a war with someone that is around 1500 miles away be waged without morale hitting rock bottom?

Morek's troops deserted systematically in the surrounding of Chesney (2300 miles not in straight line) and in the surroundings of Kid's Rock (2000 miles almost in straight line) attempting to fight Aurvandil and Asylon, respectively.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: April 23, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
Morek's troops deserted systematically in the surrounding of Chesney (2300 miles not in straight line) and in the surroundings of Kid's Rock (2000 miles almost in straight line) attempting to fight Aurvandil and Asylon, respectively.

But they managed to fight in and around Golden Farrow in the previous war.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: April 23, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
I really hate people who whine about other realms. Be it on Dwilight, Atamara, or wherever.

Says you constantly whining

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: April 23, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
NECROMANCY!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: April 23, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »
I really hate people who whine about other realms.

What.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: April 23, 2013, 08:12:48 PM »
Dwilight seems like a bunch of cantankerous old folks bickering sometimes.

I thought the changes to the code that made long distance wars so tough was years ago, maybe pre-Dwilight (though I'm fuzzy on when it was created). I know it's what ended proper Viking raids.

Dishman

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: April 23, 2013, 10:30:29 PM »
I'm not fond of the idea of limiting your martial interactions with only your neighbors, but I understand the idea. I'd prefer something which gives the players more of a choice (maybe a roaming brigand unit setting which cuts CS by half but has no problems of distance). Something that makes raiding and looting afar obviously inefficient, but at least marginally sustainable.
Eoric the Dim (Perdan), Enoch the Bright (Asylon), Emeric the Dark (Obsidian Islands)

Orobos, The Insatiable Snake (Sandalak)

trying

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #98: April 24, 2013, 06:54:35 AM »
bah. Just store up those monster scrolls and they'll make up for all the deserters.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: April 24, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
bah. Just store up those monster scrolls and they'll make up for all the deserters.
Thats an idea that could work for Bel perhaps but doesn't help with the rest of the islands.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: April 24, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
What.

What, what? "Oh, CE is too big, they're no fun!" "Oh, SA is too big, they're no fun!"

These are legitimate realms or groups of realms who deserve the power they got due to all of the hard work that paid off.

If you are referring to my complaints about Aurvandil, well, maybe that's because, unlike CE or Morek, they cheated their way to glory for over a year? Or was it two? And got to keep it all?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: April 24, 2013, 06:59:47 PM »
If you are referring to my complaints about Aurvandil, well, maybe that's because, unlike CE or Morek, they cheated their way to glory for over a year? Or was it two? And got to keep it all?

And Riombara?

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #102: April 24, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
My only trouble with this has been that as a trader you can't really go anywhere on Dwilight without losing your unit eventually.  Just getting to D'hara from Astrum causes the missing home to crop up.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: April 24, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »
Also, way to spoil Fight Club for anyone here who hasn't read/seen it.

That book is almost twenty years old. After ten you lose rights to complain about spoilers.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Kwanstein

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: April 25, 2013, 01:06:01 AM »
The movie is better anyway.