Author Topic: Recommendations concerning class  (Read 5785 times)

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Recommendations concerning class
« Topic Start: March 02, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »
Would a recommendation concerning class be allowed if not from a position of power? I was going to recommend a lord and recent founder of religion, to consider becoming a diplomat as it would allow him to take care of his region better and learn oratory faster, thus making him able to extend his religion at a faster rate. Also, I am knight, priest, and ambassador, so I am speaking from a position of experience not power, trying to make a friendly recommendation.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations concerning class
« Reply #1: March 02, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »
Would a recommendation concerning class be allowed if not from a position of power? I was going to recommend a lord and recent founder of religion, to consider becoming a diplomat as it would allow him to take care of his region better and learn oratory faster, thus making him able to extend his religion at a faster rate. Also, I am knight, priest, and ambassador, so I am speaking from a position of experience not power, trying to make a friendly recommendation.

Time spent on bureau work is time not spent preaching, thus I do not believe it would make him improve his oratory skill any faster.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 02, 2013, 08:00:28 PM »
Time spent on bureau work is time not spent preaching, thus I do not believe it would make him improve his oratory skill any faster.
It would he if wasn't going to spend that time on preaching anyways.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 02, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »

Nowhere in there did he mention bureau work. He said diplomat, which would, in fact, increase his oratory skill, as well as allowing him to do some region maintenance work.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 02, 2013, 09:56:58 PM »
I would not recommend that you make the recommendation. There is no clause in the IRs that says it's only forbidden when coming from someone in power.

If you wanted to give him the benefit of your experience, then simply inform him that priest and diplo both use the oratory skill, and how they complement each other. Perhaps mention that it worked well for you in the past. That way he is benefitting from your experience while you are not breaking any IRs.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 02, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
I would not recommend that you make the recommendation. There is no clause in the IRs that says it's only forbidden when coming from someone in power.
I know that though that is also the only reason for not allowing recommendations.
If you wanted to give him the benefit of your experience, then simply inform him that priest and diplo both use the oratory skill, and how they complement each other. Perhaps mention that it worked well for you in the past. That way he is benefitting from your experience while you are not breaking any IRs.
It sounds pretty gamey but I guess its better than nothing.
― G.K. Chesterton

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 08, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »
Would saying something like "D'hara is looking for more traders and it can be quite profitable if you are interested. While I state that D'hara is in need of traders, do not feel obligated by any means as I do not want a D'haran doing a job he does not enjoy." Be fine?
― G.K. Chesterton

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 08, 2013, 01:54:43 AM »
Nowhere in there did he mention bureau work. He said diplomat, which would, in fact, increase his oratory skill, as well as allowing him to do some region maintenance work.

You are correct that it is not courtier work, but Diplomacy Actions and Survey Administration serve similar goals. And even if Diplomacy Actions improve oratory, so does preaching, so using these actions does not help you gain any more converts than, you know, actually preaching would. Because while they both improve the same skill, the latter has actual impacts to help your religion, whereas the former doesn't.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 08, 2013, 01:55:01 AM »
Would saying something like "D'hara is looking for more traders and it can be quite profitable if you are interested. While I state that D'hara is in need of traders, do not feel obligated by any means as I do not want a D'haran doing a job he does not enjoy." Be fine?

Sounds fine to me.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 08, 2013, 03:36:38 AM »

This is what is normally recommended, except you can be slightly less circumspect. The first sentence alone is fine without the qualifier. The point is, you're not asking a specific person to be a trader, you are stating a need. If someone then volunteers to fill it, that is clearly their choice.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 08, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »
This is what is normally recommended, except you can be slightly less circumspect. The first sentence alone is fine without the qualifier. The point is, you're not asking a specific person to be a trader, you are stating a need. If someone then volunteers to fill it, that is clearly their choice.
What if that wasn't said to a group? Or if it was mentioned to a smaller group?
― G.K. Chesterton

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 08, 2013, 11:17:58 PM »

Why would you limit the audience for a statement like that?

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 09, 2013, 04:18:17 AM »
If you restrict it to a smaller audience, then you are removing it from the nature of a general statement of realm wide need to a more personal request. If your boss tells all 400 people in the company that "...it would be great if a couple people could work lots of overtime this weekend to get Project Wombat done early...", it's a lot different than if he says the same thing in a private meeting to you and your buddy who just happened to be going fishing this weekend.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 09, 2013, 04:27:35 AM »
If you restrict it to a smaller audience, then you are removing it from the nature of a general statement of realm wide need to a more personal request. If your boss tells all 400 people in the company that "...it would be great if a couple people could work lots of overtime this weekend to get Project Wombat done early...", it's a lot different than if he says the same thing in a private meeting to you and your buddy who just happened to be going fishing this weekend.
Hard to do a proper analogy but I am thinking more like you requested a private meeting on how you can make the most money and he mentions a certain position would result in a very nice pay since we don't happen to have a lot of people working that position, while also telling you, if you don't want to do it though, don't do it because I am not trying to force you to do anything.
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 09, 2013, 04:33:46 AM »
If someone comes to you asking for recommendations, then you are free to give him a personal recommendation on what class you feel would suit him best. I do this all the time with troop types. I routinely get questions about "What type of troops do we need? Which is better, archers or infantry? What about SF? What should I do?" In those cases, you are free to recommend whatever you want, so long as you don't make it an order. "I prefer Infantry" or "We have enough archers, but we're short on cav" or "SF are too expensive, save that for when you get yourself a lordship".