Author Topic: "resurrection"  (Read 7378 times)

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: "resurrection"
« Reply #15: March 04, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »

So, I would treat this in-game as exactly what it is: Someone from the same family with the same first name who claims to be the resurrected dead guy. Obviously, he's a bit nuts or something.

So it is safe to do the same with someone that recreated the account with the same family name and character from years ago?

Maybe same family, but not same noble.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: March 04, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »
So it is safe to do the same with someone that recreated the account with the same family name and character from years ago?

Maybe same family, but not same noble.

Recreating a family that disappeared when their old account was deleted, without attempting to recreate the actual characters from that family, shouldn't be a problem.

Recreating a family that someone else used to run, without their permission, would be another matter.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Naidraug

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 04, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
Recreating a family that disappeared when their old account was deleted, without attempting to recreate the actual characters from that family, shouldn't be a problem.

Recreating a family that someone else used to run, without their permission, would be another matter.

I'm thinking more on recreating a family that disappeared when their old account was deleted, and attempting to recreate the actual characters from that family.
Stryfe Family: Tristan - Heorot/ Scherzer - Nothoi / Finan - Caelum / Arya - Farronite Republic

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 04, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »
I'm thinking more on recreating a family that disappeared when their old account was deleted, and attempting to recreate the actual characters from that family.
Then yes that will probably be a problem. If old characters disappeared with an account, and now you have them coming back RL years later but younger than they were, its a bit of an issue.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: March 05, 2013, 12:09:49 AM »
It's not even necessarily about "younger".

Consider the scenario where you have a new account, and a character in it showing up in a realm saying, "Hi, I'm back! Remember me? I was your Judge 4 years ago!" when the account clearly states that it has existed for less time than that, and the character has clearly never been Judge of the realm.

This is a case of the player claiming one thing, and the game claiming something else. As usual, when in doubt, the game wins.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 05, 2013, 12:51:05 AM »
Technically, the game mechanics define reality IG. However more often than not, when I've seen this happen, there are enough players around that go along with it that anyone who doesn't is mostly boo'ed down, and told that their opinion just doesn't matter. Anyone who files a complaint about it is told to deal with it IC, and their IC attempts are ignored or they are accused of being mean or rude.

It doesn't matter if game mechanics win or not. Trying to defend that position against the majority of your realm-mates will lead to nothing but grief and hard feelings all around. Your best option is almost always to ignore it as much as humanly possible.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.